F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech - Amp Upgrade - HiFi Only (F3x / F8x)
ARMA SPEED

06-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #67
Drew46
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Hi all:

Just got my upgrade plugged in and loaded the DSP tool. It said the profiles were out of date and seemed to do an automatic update and all EQ settings are flat.

Are the OEM and BavSound profiles available for download somewhere since everything now appears flat/reset across all settings?

Thanks!

Drew
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 05:48 PM   #68
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Reach out to Nelson at Bimmer-Tech for sound profile.
      06-14-2015, 02:39 AM   #69
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew46 View Post
Hi all:

Just got my upgrade plugged in and loaded the DSP tool. It said the profiles were out of date and seemed to do an automatic update and all EQ settings are flat.

Are the OEM and BavSound profiles available for download somewhere since everything now appears flat/reset across all settings?

Thanks!

Drew
Please email us at info@bimmer-tech.net and we will take care of you
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #70
Drew46
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well, the upgrade is installed and with a quick download of the OEM profile from Patryk, I am in business.

First impressions: much more detail and extended "punch" in the lows and the highs, even with OEM speakers. The sound stage is A LOT better.

I plan to spend some time tweaking and tuning over the next week or two but from an immediate impact perspective, this upgrade does not dissapoint!

Now I'm going to need to convince myself that I don't need better speakers before I get a chance to truly dial-in the sound profiles!

I also took some pictures that I will post later in the hopes that it can help other 2015 F30 owners install. There are a few tricks that might have helped me save at least one of the fasteners in the trunk.

Drew
Appreciate 3
      06-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #71
HiTek
Info-Maniac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport

How is the USB cable intended to be "routed" to the front seat? It this simply running through one of the back seat openings across the center console and coiled back into the trunk when finished?
MW 328i Sport/Premium, Cold Weather & Tech Pkgs/Sport Auto. Trans/Variable Sport Steering/Xenons/Park Distance Control/M Performance Black Kidney Grills & Gloss Black Whiskers/Black Gloss roof Wrap/Dinan Exhaust/aFe Intake/JB4 w/ Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 11:02 AM   #72
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTek View Post
How is the USB cable intended to be "routed" to the front seat? It this simply running through one of the back seat openings across the center console and coiled back into the trunk when finished?
Correct
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 03:58 AM   #73
Serpent720
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 328i

Hi Nelson,

Does the xxxx.afp file only work in 2.93 version ?

Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #74
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent720 View Post
Hi Nelson,

Does the xxxx.afp file only work in 2.93 version ?

Thanks a lot.
If it is .afp, then yes. .afpx would be for 3.11

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #75
Drew46
Enlisted Member
Rep

Version 3.11 will open the .afp file just fine so long as during the Load dialog window you choose the that as the file filter extension in the bottom right.

That said: does anybody know if 3.11c (being a Beta) correctly imports and applies .AFP files? I had a couple of glitches where all channels were muted after application but not sure if that's just a bug in 3.11c or whether there's something of more concern going on?

Which version of the tool is recommended at this point?

Drew
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 01:37 PM   #76
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Version 3.11 will open the .afp file just fine so long as during the Load dialog window you choose the that as the file filter extension in the bottom right.

That said: does anybody know if 3.11c (being a Beta) correctly imports and applies .AFP files? I had a couple of glitches where all channels were muted after application but not sure if that's just a bug in 3.11c or whether there's something of more concern going on?

Drew
I have 3.11c. I did notice when loading another file, it muted all channels. I had to go in and unmuted all channels. 3.11c works fine, that's the only glitch I'm aware of.
      06-17-2015, 11:53 PM   #77
Drew46
Enlisted Member
Rep

After hearing the muting of the channels affected you to, got to testing tonight. I downloaded and installed V2.93 of the software which ONLY loads .afp files and I was very surprised at what happened when I loaded that profile with it's native software: My volume increased by at least 20% and the EQs applied to all speakers truly kicked in!

I then stored the preset in Slot 1 of the DSP, closed V2.93 and opened V3.11c. First thing V3.11c tells me is that the profile is too old and needs to be updated. I agree to let it update and the unit appears to do some sort of firmware update because the amp does a full reboot (you can hear it power down and back up). Upon doing so, everything is flat, so I load the same .afp file I used in V2.93 and while the definition and sound stage got better, the volume remained low or perhaps even reduced.

I closed V3.11c, opened V2.93 and it tells me the profile is too old (the same file I *just* loaded in V3.11c and need to update. I agree to let it do so, the amp powers down and back up and is set flat again. I then load the exact same .afp as the first one and excellent audio returned along with the power/volume!

So for now, either the firmware included in V3.11c of the software has an issue or the .afp file load of the DSP tool has a bug or both. If you have one of these units and it just doesn't sound right after using V3.11c, I highly recommend loading V2.93 and loading the profile back up.

Since this is a BimmerTech product, I'm not exactly sure how to get this feedback to the original manufacturer for the next rev of the DSP firmware or DSP tool.

If anybody knows, please advise!

Drew
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 12:23 AM   #78
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Drew
Correct, if you search for 'all' files which would include .afp then it will allow to load, but it cannot completely correct, on it's own, the different available IO. It is something that can be adjusted, but it is much simpler to just stay within 3.10/.afpx or higher. Doing so will also eliminate some of the, what appears to be, 'bugs' which they are not.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 12:24 AM   #79
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After hearing the muting of the channels affected you to, got to testing tonight. I downloaded and installed V2.93 of the software which ONLY loads .afp files and I was very surprised at what happened when I loaded that profile with it's native software: My volume increased by at least 20% and the EQs applied to all speakers truly kicked in!

I then stored the preset in Slot 1 of the DSP, closed V2.93 and opened V3.11c. First thing V3.11c tells me is that the profile is too old and needs to be updated. I agree to let it update and the unit appears to do some sort of firmware update because the amp does a full reboot (you can hear it power down and back up). Upon doing so, everything is flat, so I load the same .afp file I used in V2.93 and while the definition and sound stage got better, the volume remained low or perhaps even reduced.

I closed V3.11c, opened V2.93 and it tells me the profile is too old (the same file I *just* loaded in V3.11c and need to update. I agree to let it do so, the amp powers down and back up and is set flat again. I then load the exact same .afp as the first one and excellent audio returned along with the power/volume!

So for now, either the firmware included in V3.11c of the software has an issue or the .afp file load of the DSP tool has a bug or both. If you have one of these units and it just doesn't sound right after using V3.11c, I highly recommend loading V2.93 and loading the profile back up.

Since this is a BimmerTech product, I'm not exactly sure how to get this feedback to the original manufacturer for the next rev of the DSP firmware or DSP tool.

Drew
This is due to the adjusting it is trying to do, but the IO availability is quite different. Different enough it is difficult to determine itself. Stay in .afpx and you will be fine.

They are already aware.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 12:30 AM   #80
Drew46
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks!

Did you build your own profile or did you get the profile from Bimmertech in .afpx format? Mine came as .afp which I now know only works with V2.93!

If you built your own, which IO routing did you use to get your volume back?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 12:38 AM   #81
Drew46
Enlisted Member
Rep

I should add that I started with a freshly reset profile (Reset All, cleared routing) on V3.11c and manually added back the routings. Please see attached screenshot.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 12:45 AM   #82
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

Did you build your own profile or did you get the profile from Bimmertech in .afpx format? Mine came as .afp which I now know only works with V2.93!

If you built your own, which IO routing did you use to get your volume back?
I don't own a BMW, but I do use a DSP Pro and have installed several dozen (literally) Helix DSP units of various use. That said, my profile or ones that I have created would differ quite a bit from yours.

If you would like to send me your file, then I can covert it over for you. Although it is also quite simple to do yourself, just open 2.93 and 3.11 at the same time and copy over. The biggest difference would be the IO as 2.93 did not allow as much on the input side and quite substantially different on the outbound side.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 12:46 AM   #83
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I should add that I started with a freshly reset profile (Reset All, cleared routing) on V3.11c and manually added back the routings. Please see attached screenshot.
Sorry, I don't know what the original is supposed to be, so to comment prematurely wouldn't be wise !

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 02:52 AM   #84
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:

Drew
We use AFP files and 2.93 version of the software because the new 3.10/3.11 are still beta.
We understand everyone wants to use the latest version but we will stick to the official final releases and therefore will keep AFP files and 2.93 software as recommended until the new final version is released.

All of you who want to use the latest beta software we will have AFPX files for you ready soon but we will provide them only if requested. We can't guarantee everything will work properly with beta software. I hope you guys understand.

AFP and APFX files have different structure so if you are opening an AFP file in the 3.10/3.11 beta software you have to carefully check all settings/adjustments with the 2.93 software to make sure they are the same. The import of AFP files in the latest beta versions might not work properly.
Please use 2.93 and AFP files with BimmerTech Premium Audio System until the new final release of the software is available.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2015, 10:22 AM   #85
Drew46
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the clarification! It's very clear to me after further testing this morning that 2.93 and 3.11 are very different. I even attempted to manually setup a 3.11c file from clean and can't get the same results as 2.93. I am very happy staying on 2.93 and .afp files until a final build and .afpx file are available.

I'm not sure if I missed this guidance in the manual or in the box? If so then I'm guilty of RTFM.

That said, I noted the OP on this thread had downloaded 3.11c so assumed that was the right version to use. I think that making this more well known somehow via website, release notes or a note when you open the box would be helpful so that initial impressions with the unit are *much* better!

I guess the upside is that I am no longer considering upgraded speakers because I essentially have a whole brand new unit to play with for a few weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
We use AFP files and 2.93 version of the software because the new 3.10/3.11 are still beta.
We understand everyone wants to use the latest version but we will stick to the official final releases and therefore will keep AFP files and 2.93 software as recommended until the new final version is released.

All of you who want to use the latest beta software we will have AFPX files for you ready soon but we will provide them only if requested. We can't guarantee everything will work properly with beta software. I hope you guys understand.

AFP and APFX files have different structure so if you are opening an AFP file in the 3.10/3.11 beta software you have to carefully check all settings/adjustments with the 2.93 software to make sure they are the same. The import of AFP files in the latest beta versions might not work properly.
Please use 2.93 and AFP files with BimmerTech Premium Audio System until the new final release of the software is available.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #86
Serpent720
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 328i

Thanks you all for the clarifications.

2.93 is more stable than 3.11c.

Hope Bimmer-tech can notify us when the official 3.xx version become available, because the 3.11c EQ fine tuning features and the multiple graphs display is awesome during speakers setup.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #87
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent720 View Post
Thanks you all for the clarifications.

2.93 is more stable than 3.11c.

Hope Bimmer-tech can notify us when the official 3.xx version become available, because the 3.11c EQ fine tuning features and the multiple graphs display is awesome during speakers setup.

Cheers
No question about stability. It is only when trying to convert from one to another that some issues may arise. 3.10 and 3.11 are quite stable, but for the end user I can absolutely see Patryks reasoning behind staying with 2.93 for now and completely agree with it.

Appreciate 1
      06-20-2015, 08:05 PM   #88
obriennathaniel
@obriennathaniel_f30 on Instagram
United_States
Rep
Drives: 582whp/596wtq '13 335i

i bought this amp just because of this article lol. Now my BVS1 and SWS underseat subs will sound amazingggggg

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 DownPipe | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | BM3 w/AIC2-V|Tune CaryTheLabelGuy | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 255/40-275/35 Velos Designwerks S3 two piece 19x9/19x10 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
Appreciate 2