F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Instrument cluster question
Extreme Powerhouse

05-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
jay_duffin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i sedan

Instrument cluster question

just curious if anyone would know if this is a direct replacement for my cluster? I have a 2012 328i with HUD. The part number on my cluster is different from this one. I just want to be sure before i purchase. Would I have to do anything to install? Im looking for a direct replacement just unplug and plug back in. I would really appreciate the help

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MPH-SPEEDOME...b1285b&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

It might depend on what line you have. The part # on that auction(9285640) is listed here on realoem as being for vehicles with Extended Instrument Cluster and HUD, however it is not for Modern, Sport, or M-Sport lines.

While I would think the differences between the models would be cosmetic and functionality would be the same across the board(since you have the HUD and I'm assuming the Extended Cluster), I cannot say for 100% certainty that it would be plug and play. Not to mention if the cluster retains your odometer reading, then this could also be thrown off by putting in the different cluster. Often times swapping between different versions of parts requires coding to be done as well.

Just out of curiosity, why are you looking to make the swap?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 11:35 PM   #3
jay_duffin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i sedan

thank you roxxor for the response. I have been all over the internet and have found that it is a lot more complicated. I would have to get it coded every time i swapped clusters. So Im just gonna leave it alone. Im sure what my plan with the cluster is deemed "illegal". have one to keep warranty longer and the one that came with the car. I have done it once in the past and worked out well but that was with a acura
Appreciate 0