F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > modification and warranty question on my new 2017 F30
proTUNING Freaks

01-07-2017, 02:24 AM   #1
S54Addict
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Sport

modification and warranty question on my new 2017 F30

Hi guys, I have been visiting this forum for a while but it is my first time posting. I recently picked up a 2017 F30 AW M sport which I intend to slightly modify, perhaps adding a front lip spoiler and a few other items.

being a leased vehicle , I am not sure if adding the front lip will cause any issues with the warranty or any extra charges by BMW when returning the car?
I understand many of the aftermarket spoilers are attached via double sided tapes. Are these easy to remove when returning the car ?

I apologize if this question has been covered in any past threads , but I would apperciate your input.

here is a quick photo of her
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
ErkanTR16598.00
beto_L.A.343.00
david51537.50
      01-07-2017, 05:27 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

mods mentioned should be safe but i would check with your dealership

You can also add a JB stage 1 or JB+ and just remove it before your visit, takes less than 5 minutes.

Awesome car

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #3
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Double sided tape is easy to remove with goo gone or tar remover. Not a big deal. The shop you get it installed it will be able to bring your car back to stock. Lips spoilers and wings etc don't effect your warranty. Tunes will. Dinan products have their own warranty but are separate from BMW. Your BMW service centers will warrantee their work if they are the ones you purchased from and had them install.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Most dealerships don't care. I go to one of the bigger, high volume dealers here in North Jersey for my warranty stuff. After I had installed a piggyback tune and oil catch can, I told the SA up front when I brought the car in and he waved me off before I could even finish the sentence and said, "We don't care about that stuff."

YMMV, but at the very least, cosmetic mods like you mentioned are the least of their concerns. Hell, when I took delivery, my salesperson *recommended* I throw on a piggyback tune, DPs, intake, etc.

You can always ask ahead of time what their policy is. The worst they will say is they won't service the car there, and you'll have to try another dealership.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #5
mitrong
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Most dealerships don't care. I go to one of the bigger, high volume dealers here in North Jersey for my warranty stuff. After I had installed a piggyback tune and oil catch can, I told the SA up front when I brought the car in and he waved me off before I could even finish the sentence and said, "We don't care about that stuff."

YMMV, but at the very least, cosmetic mods like you mentioned are the least of their concerns. Hell, when I took delivery, my salesperson *recommended* I throw on a piggyback tune, DPs, intake, etc.

You can always ask ahead of time what their policy is. The worst they will say is they won't service the car there, and you'll have to try another dealership.

They would care if your engine exploded.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #6
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrong View Post
Quote:

They would care if your engine exploded.
Depends. What made the engine explode?

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 02:37 PM   #7
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
IF that came up, one would have to prove that the after market piggyback tune did NOT make the engine "blow up" when BMW denied the warranty claim.

The dealer only cares insomuch as they can or can not get re imbursed for warranty work by BMW NA.

Same thing with Lease return. If your modifications are OEM mods or the dealer is going to keep the car and chooses to over look whatever you have done, then you may not be charged.

What they CAN charge for however is spelled out in the lease paperwork. Nothing in the paperwork says they have to overlook anything, so EXPECTING them to overlook anything could lead to disappointment.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #8
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin
Quote:
IF that came up, one would have to prove that the after market piggyback tune did NOT make the engine "blow up" when BMW denied the warranty claim.

The dealer only cares insomuch as they can or can not get re imbursed for warranty work by BMW NA.

Same thing with Lease return. If your modifications are OEM mods or the dealer is going to keep the car and chooses to over look whatever you have done, then you may not be charged.

What they CAN charge for however is spelled out in the lease paperwork. Nothing in the paperwork says they have to overlook anything, so EXPECTING them to overlook anything could lead to disappointment.
+1
So many people have it wrong that BMW has to prove something when warranty is denied. If BMW has denied warranty it most likely they have proof or valid reason for denial of warranty and then it would be upto the owner to prove different or to hire a lawyer to prove different. So many quote Magnusson Moss Act but it means cap unless you have the big wallet and facts to back you up.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #9
S54Addict
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Double sided tape is easy to remove with goo gone or tar remover. Not a big deal. The shop you get it installed it will be able to bring your car back to stock. Lips spoilers and wings etc don't effect your warranty. Tunes will. Dinan products have their own warranty but are separate from BMW. Your BMW service centers will warrantee their work if they are the ones you purchased from and had them install.
Thank you for your input, I am planning on doing it myself since it seems pretty straight forward based on a DYI post by a member here. My concern was removing the double sided tape when returning, but since you mentioned the above items I think I'll be ok either way. I am not planning to do any engine nor any electric upgrades which may endanger the warranty coverage.

Now its time to do some digging to find the best fitment AM aero front splitter
Appreciate 0