F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Is F3* handbrake self adjusting?
Studio RSR

03-27-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Is F3* handbrake self adjusting?

At delivery my CA told me that the handbrakes of F30 are self adjusting. Is that true? At times the handbrake seems to need an extra click or two, but then it reverts back to 4-5 clicks by itself. Is there a DIY to "self-adjust" the handbrake?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
DTP1980
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 LCI Monte Carlo Blue

They were a problem on the e90s and they are still a problem now. But it's an easy one to live with. The first lift is usually long, and it bites, but repeating the action shortens the lift and a better bite is achieved. Mention it every time the car goes in to get the stealer to iron it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

The service manuals of late-model bimmers say parking brake adjustment is part of regular maintenance, but the F30 service/warranty booklets no longer say the same. When I asked CA/SA, they said there is no way to adjust handbrakes these days, so that's what confuses me.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
The service manuals of late-model bimmers say parking brake adjustment is part of regular maintenance, but the F30 service/warranty booklets no longer say the same. When I asked CA/SA, they said there is no way to adjust handbrakes these days, so that's what confuses me.
Wrong... F3x models still have the same drum handbrake with screw adjuster in the mechanism as previous models, like the E9x range.

The handbrake lever has an automatic cable adjuster (ASZE unit), that is the part that gives the variable movement (different clicks). Shouldn't really do so, as it designed to take up the slack and hold the position. I think the erratic nature it is due to the Bowden cables being a bit tight.

The actual brake shoes can be adjusted, part of the procedure is to engage a hook in the handbrake ASZE unit, to ensure the shoes can be set without drag from the cables.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Wrong... F3x models still have the same drum handbrake with screw adjuster in the mechanism as previous models, like the E9x range.

The handbrake lever has an automatic cable adjuster (ASZE unit), that is the part that gives the variable movement (different clicks). Shouldn't really do so, as it designed to take up the slack and hold the position. I think the erratic nature it is due to the Bowden cables being a bit tight.

The actual brake shoes can be adjusted, part of the procedure is to engage a hook in the handbrake ASZE unit, to ensure the shoes can be set without drag from the cables.

HighlandPete
Good info. The SA says to tighten the cable just drive in reverse and brake, then will allow some ratchet mechanism to adjust the slack. Does this make sense?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 03:05 PM   #6
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I think I was reading in the manual that if you drive and engage the parking brake for a few seconds (slowly of course), it will readjust itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 03:38 PM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
I think I was reading in the manual that if you drive and engage the parking brake for a few seconds (slowly of course), it will readjust itself.
Helps prevent corrosion and uneven braking.

Typical 'hint' from user manuals.

Quote:
To prevent corrosion and braking control on one side only, lightly apply the parking brake periodically while coasting, if traffic conditions permit.
HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 05:44 PM   #8
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

The handbrake in this car is worthless. This is the first manual car I've owned which I park in gear even on level ground.
Appreciate 0