F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Finally! BMW Office (iDrive Email & Text Message) Integration with iPhone on iOS6
ARMA SPEED

09-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #155
dc_bmw
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Just got my F30 (september build) (Dutch version) and tried my iPhone 3GS with IOS6.0. Too bad, Office only shows contacts regardless all the tips in this thread.
So, works as adverticed by bmw.com/bluetooth.
If anybody knows a trick to get email and sms to work, please let me know (preferable by PM).
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #156
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_bmw View Post
Just got my F30 (september build) (Dutch version) and tried my iPhone 3GS with IOS6.0. Too bad, Office only shows contacts regardless all the tips in this thread.
So, works as adverticed by bmw.com/bluetooth.
If anybody knows a trick to get email and sms to work, please let me know (preferable by PM).
I wouldn't bother. It's too much effort for too little return.

In fact, this is one of the most frustrating, infuriating integrations I have ever used.

Today, I finally got iOS6 to send new, incoming texts to my MY12 F30. Beats me how I actually got it to work. Email doesn't work -- just texts.

When it connects, existing texts aren't transferred. New texts "disappear" after they are read the next time you connect the car and phone.

Along with the fact that the car insists on turning off Bluetooth connectivity when you connect via USB to use other apps, it makes me wonder why I spent so much money on the apps functionality and converted from Android to iOS.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #157
Gift2self
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 Msport EBII RWD 6SM

Got texts to work, only new ones that come in while phone is connected, but its actually pretty handy. Wish I could get email working, that would be more useful as I get about one text for every hundred emails. Hoping someone figures this out. I have an iPhone 4gs with ios6.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #158
greengoose
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Anyone know if BMW is working on an external device support upgrade to better integrate the office function with iOS 6? Or is this strictly an Apple related issue?

On a side note, do any android devices have map function, and if so do they work with drive?
      10-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #159
dc_bmw
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

According to BMW a HTC sensation works (2011 phone with android)
I plan on testimg a HTC one X this weekend. Dont count on Apple anymore....
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #160
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift2self View Post
Got texts to work, only new ones that come in while phone is connected, but its actually pretty handy. Wish I could get email working, that would be more useful as I get about one text for every hundred emails. Hoping someone figures this out. I have an iPhone 4gs with ios6.
I installed the latest update from BMW today, and now emails do indeed work. Nothing special, just like text messages, but at least they're finally working.

Something else I discovered is that if you turn Bluetooth audio to the off position, you will hear the text and email alert tones directly from your iPhone 5.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #161
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
I wouldn't bother. It's too much effort for too little return.

In fact, this is one of the most frustrating, infuriating integrations I have ever used.

Today, I finally got iOS6 to send new, incoming texts to my MY12 F30. Beats me how I actually got it to work. Email doesn't work -- just texts.

When it connects, existing texts aren't transferred. New texts "disappear" after they are read the next time you connect the car and phone.

Along with the fact that the car insists on turning off Bluetooth connectivity when you connect via USB to use other apps, it makes me wonder why I spent so much money on the apps functionality and converted from Android to iOS.
If you download and install the newest BMW iDrive update, texts and now emails will both work. You can find the latest firmware update on the BMW site, all you need is a USB thumb drive to install it in the car the armrest socket.

Also, don't forget that Apple is launching Siri integration with BMW in the spring. In fact, right now you can use Siri and Siri commands to send text messages with just your voice, it's really cool. No functionality to hit a button on the steering wheel and launch Siri yet, but if you press and hold the home button on the phone and talk to Siri you can hear her speak back to you over the speakers in the car.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #162
ScottM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
I installed the latest update from BMW today, and now emails do indeed work. Nothing special, just like text messages, but at least they're finally working. BJ
Yep. Get it here.

BMW Bluetooth Update - UPD01005
Addresses iPhone 5 issues. http://************/8rfueat

Email finally works!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #163
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
If you download and install the newest BMW iDrive update, texts and now emails will both work. You can find the latest firmware update on the BMW site, all you need is a USB thumb drive to install it in the car the armrest socket.

Also, don't forget that Apple is launching Siri integration with BMW in the spring. In fact, right now you can use Siri and Siri commands to send text messages with just your voice, it's really cool. No functionality to hit a button on the steering wheel and launch Siri yet, but if you press and hold the home button on the phone and talk to Siri you can hear her speak back to you over the speakers in the car.

BJ
Actually, UPD01005 doesn't say anything at all about iOS 6. It is, in fact, quite explicit that it supports iOS 5 on the iPhone.

And I can see why. On my iPhone 4S with iOS 6, emails sorta work. I have multiple accounts -- all must be set to "Show in Notification Center" or none work. Emails don't seem to arrive UNLESS there's been a text received first. And, in "Current Office," emails and texts are shown together.

The good news is, BMW is actively using the update mechanism -- and we can hope that they're hard at work getting ready to officially support iOS 6.

Until then, my advice is unless you like to fiddle about with a bazillion settings and can live with an remarkably unreliable service, UPD01005 is good news.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #164
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
It only turns off BT Audio when the USB-cable is in use.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 02:14 AM   #165
Can258
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F30 & E53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottM
Quote:
I installed the latest update from BMW today, and now emails do indeed work. Nothing special, just like text messages, but at least they're finally working. BJ
Yep. Get it here.

BMW Bluetooth Update - UPD01005
Addresses iPhone 5 issues. http://************/8rfueat

Email finally works!!!
How did you get the email to work. I just updated idrive to latest and also i have the ios6 final release. I can see the imessages on the screen but i still cant see the emails eventhough i upgraded everything. What may be the cause of this ?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 02:19 AM   #166
kruemel
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M3 Mineral White

dont' have an iphone but i think you have to remove your phone and reconntect it like a new phone
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #167
ScottM
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can258 View Post
How did you get the email to work. I just updated idrive to latest and also i have the ios6 final release. I can see the imessages on the screen but i still cant see the emails eventhough i upgraded everything. What may be the cause of this ?
It just worked after setting up as follows... along with doing the new update. Hope this helps.

1. Update to UPD01005 - get it here http://************/8rfueat
Your car must have the Enhanced Bluetooth option for the Office functionality to work.

2. On the iDrive go to Telephone > Configure Bluetooth and turn on Office.

3. On the iDrive go to Menu and select Office > Messages > and select All messages to be displayed.

4. On the iPhone go to Settings > Messages and make sure Messages are set to Send and Receive.

5. On the iPhone go to Settings > Notifications > Messages and make sure notifications are on, and set to View in Lock Screen. I haven't tested every combination for the notification settings, but I have mine set as follows.
- Notification Center is On
- Show 5 Recent Items
- Alert Style is Banners
- Badge App Icon is On
- Show Preview is On
- View in Lock Screen is On

6. On the iPhone go to Settings > Notifications > Mail and make sure notifications are on, and set to View in Lock Screen. Settings are same as number 5.

7. On the iPhone go to Settings > Bluetooth > and click on the BMW blue arrow link and make sure Show Notifications is selected.

8. To see the messages in the car your phone must be in the locked screen mode - so to test, send an email or text from another phone or computer.

I've only tested this on the iPhone 5 and will test with other iPhones later. So far it seems to be pretty reliable with this configuration and firmware update. The BMW firmware states this update is for the new iPhone 5 but does not mention iOS 6 in anyway. Not sure if there is a compatibility difference with other iPhones running iOS 6.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #168
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Sapphire Black

It really doesn't address iOS 6 at all, it says iOS 5, and doesn't mention anything about the iphone 5. The MAP issue is apples, and apple needs to correct it, not BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #169
KLC
Rep
Drives: Gray

What integration with Siri is supposed to be coming?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #170
ScottM
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
It really doesn't address iOS 6 at all, it says iOS 5, and doesn't mention anything about the iphone 5. The MAP issue is apples, and apple needs to correct it, not BMW.
I think they did address iOS 6 to some extent. I've been playing with the Office integration since early iOS 6 betas with limited success. After this update - it works.

At least for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #171
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post
What integration with Siri is supposed to be coming?

Scott Forestall at the Apple iOS6 keynote back in June.

Siri works in the car now, you just have to press and hold the home button on the iPhone itself in order to make it work. You can ask Siri for a sports score or the weather, and she will report it back to you over the car's stereo system, or ask Siri to send a text message that you dictate to someone in your contacts. The real integration comes when there's a button on the steering wheel that's allowed to call up and activate Siri.

BJ

Last edited by boltjames; 10-06-2012 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 06:00 AM   #172
Can258
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F30 & E53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can258 View Post
It just worked after setting up as follows... along with doing the new update. Hope this helps.

1. Update to UPD01005 - get it here http://************/8rfueat
Your car must have the Enhanced Bluetooth option for the Office functionality to work.

2. On the iDrive go to Telephone > Configure Bluetooth and turn on Office.

3. On the iDrive go to Menu and select Office > Messages > and select All messages to be displayed.

4. On the iPhone go to Settings > Messages and make sure Messages are set to Send and Receive.

5. On the iPhone go to Settings > Notifications > Messages and make sure notifications are on, and set to View in Lock Screen. I haven't tested every combination for the notification settings, but I have mine set as follows.
- Notification Center is On
- Show 5 Recent Items
- Alert Style is Banners
- Badge App Icon is On
- Show Preview is On
- View in Lock Screen is On

6. On the iPhone go to Settings > Notifications > Mail and make sure notifications are on, and set to View in Lock Screen. Settings are same as number 5.

7. On the iPhone go to Settings > Bluetooth > and click on the BMW blue arrow link and make sure Show Notifications is selected.

8. To see the messages in the car your phone must be in the locked screen mode - so to test, send an email or text from another phone or computer.

I've only tested this on the iPhone 5 and will test with other iPhones later. So far it seems to be pretty reliable with this configuration and firmware update. The BMW firmware states this update is for the new iPhone 5 but does not mention iOS 6 in anyway. Not sure if there is a compatibility difference with other iPhones running iOS 6.
Thanks for the reply i tried everything step by step i still cant get it to work. I have uploaded a picture to this link can you check out what "additional phone" means and do i also have to tick it ?

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A65qXGF1jl5eX
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #173
Nitz99
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW F30 335i Sport

So it looks like I got this working as new text messages that come in while I'm in the car and the phone is locked do show up on the idrive screen. I do have a couple of questions - has anyone tried to use the "call" option when reading a text message from one of your contacts? This doesn't seem to work for me. For example I'll get a text message and then go to telephone > messages > select the new message and upon seeing the message on my screen there is a "call" option in the left column. I would have thought that this would call back the person who texted you but it seems to dial a random 5 digit number which then gives you the "sorry this call cannot be completed as dialed" message after a couple of rings. Has anyone been able to get this to work? My second question is about the messages on the iPhone - once I read them on the idrive system they do not get marked as read on my iPhone (meaning the audible notification sound will go off several more times on the phone after reading the message on idrive because the phone doesn't realize the message has been read). This may be the way the system is supposed to work but I just wanted to make sure I had everything setup properly and that there was no way to configure it to mark the message as read on the iPhone after reading them using idrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #174
Sauveur
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328xi |2013

Do i have office in 2013 328xi

Hoping someone can help. I have the nav etc.

Do not have bmw apps or assist.

Upgraded iphone4s to ios6.

I dont have office in main menu ? Was this an option or do i need a software update.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #175
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauveur View Post
Hoping someone can help. I have the nav etc.

Do not have bmw apps or assist.

Upgraded iphone4s to ios6.

I dont have office in main menu ? Was this an option or do i need a software update.

Thanks
I don't think you can get Office without the enhanced Bluetooth and that only comes with BMW Assist in the US.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #176
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

I thought enhanced Bluetooth was an integral part of the Nav package?