F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Surround view & park ass..
Extreme Powerhouse

02-20-2014, 03:50 AM   #23
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

They were standard when I ordered my car September 2013... When you spec surround view, the rear view camera is added (as an extra) but the wings are standard
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 03:58 AM   #24
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MSport420 View Post
Great..gona ring my dealer first thing in morning to add this great looking feature..hope he dsnt put the phone down after hearing my voice..
Trajan thanks alot for all the info and pictures...really appriciate it
I think my salesman is also sick of me contacting him lol
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 04:42 AM   #25
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWA View Post
Msport420,

There is no front camera, and thus the system is unable of showing you the road a head..

It's a 5 camera system, 2 on the front bumper (left & right sides), also known as nose camera which help when creeping out of garages or tight side roads into main roads..2 cameras, 1 underneath each wing mirror, they show you curbs, walls, and pillars, and lastly the rear camera in the boot
So you are saying there is no front view camera similar to the one on the back when reversing???. Will the dumper and wing cameras not show things ahead ?

Am sure Trajan265's pic 12 on first page is showing front view??

This video shows front view...do you get this view in yours??

Last edited by ///MSport420; 02-20-2014 at 06:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 06:09 AM   #26
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan265 View Post
///MSport420, glad I could help. Enjoy the new car when it comes!

I love mine, it makes the daily commute a blast.
Do you get this view at 20 seconds when he switches to Front view on this video

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 06:38 AM   #27
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

At 20 seconds on that video is the rear view camera not front.. You can see he's reversing..

Definitely no frontal view camera.. Let's say you're larking in a parking space, you won't be able to see the white line in front of your car..

I have taken a few pics for you will upload later. On the road and can't upload from mobile
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 06:42 AM   #28
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
At 20 seconds on that video is the rear view camera not front.. You can see he's reversing..

Definitely no frontal view camera.. Let's say you're larking in a parking space, you won't be able to see the white line in front of your car..

I have taken a few pics for you will upload later. On the road and can't upload from mobile
Thanks mate... It seems bit useless with no front view camera
.. My main concern is my garage entrance which is really tight..ive added folding mirrors but front cam would have been better

If you look properly.. At 20. Seconds.. He is not reversing.. You'll see his hands and steering..going straight in..i might be wrong..its the way it looks

Last edited by ///MSport420; 02-20-2014 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 06:49 AM   #29
chiark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330D 2014

What about putting mirrors in the garage somehow? Or even hack up a set of proximity sensors and warning lights on the door frame somehow?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 06:54 AM   #30
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
What about putting mirrors in the garage somehow? Or even hack up a set of proximity sensors and warning lights on the door frame somehow?
I was thinking about mirrors and sensor lights untill i saw surround view which is much easier and professional
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 08:11 AM   #31
Floriank
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D M Sport Tanzanite

Quote:
They were standard when I ordered my car September 2013... When you spec surround view, the rear view camera is added (as an extra) but the wings are standard
We are talking about the front side cameras, just ahead of the front wheels, not the ones integrated into the wing mirrors?

On my car, surrounded view is provided by one rear camera and two rear view mirror housing integrated cameras. The two cameras embedded into the front side wheel arches are a separate thing and nothing to do with surround view. They are used for 'peeking out' at T-junctions for example to look for side traffic and play no part in the surround view module.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #32
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floriank View Post
We are talking about the front side cameras, just ahead of the front wheels, not the ones integrated into the wing mirrors?

On my car, surrounded view is provided by one rear camera and two rear view mirror housing integrated cameras. The two cameras embedded into the front side wheel arches are a separate thing and nothing to do with surround view. They are used for 'peeking out' at T-junctions for example to look for side traffic and play no part in the surround view module.
I wonder why only side cameras??. I allready have eyes to see the junction and side traffic...why not front cam..similar to the back ones where you can actually see everything behind.. front cam can be so helpful for tight garages..front parking etc
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #33
Floriank
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D M Sport Tanzanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MSport420 View Post
I wonder why only side cameras??. I allready have eyes to see the junction and side traffic...why not front cam..similar to the back ones where you can actually see everything behind.. front cam can be so helpful for tight garages..front parking etc
I agree completely but don't know of any car that has a forward facing camera, maybe it's a legal thing? Mercs and fancier Beemers get the infrared forward facing night cams for spotting deer and pedestrians but that wouldn't be any help pulling into your garage! Unless you regularly find any of those wandering around in it when you get home

I must say though the two side - facing front cameras are very helpful though. They are a good meter and a bit forward from ones seating position and, aspecially when pulling out of a junction or drive with obstructions either side they give an exceptional view of what's coming from either side without you having to stick the front part of the car into the road so that you can see yourself. I use mine every morning when pulling out onto the road.

Very useful.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #34
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floriank View Post
I agree completely but don't know of any car that has a forward facing camera, maybe it's a legal thing? Mercs and fancier Beemers get the infrared forward facing night cams for spotting deer and pedestrians but that wouldn't be any help pulling into your garage! Unless you regularly find any of those wandering around in it when you get home

I must say though the two side - facing front cameras are very helpful though. They are a good meter and a bit forward from ones seating position and, aspecially when pulling out of a junction or drive with obstructions either side they give an exceptional view of what's coming from either side without you having to stick the front part of the car into the road so that you can see yourself. I use mine every morning when pulling out onto the road.

Very useful.

Is there any guidance or help with surround view when parking in tight garages? Am ok once inside the garage..then i dont need any help..the only guidance i need is when am entering it..i only have 2 inches clear on each sides..its tricky and can possibly hurt my mirrors
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #35
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

There definitely isn't a front camera view at 20 seconds, you can see the rear bumper at the lower end of the nav screen... I am 99.99% sure, even though I agree the video is misleading and shows as if the car is going forward and not backwards...

@Floriank the front nose camera are now included as part of the package of the surround view... I thought they came on when surround view is switched on, but on testing today, they actually don't. However they're very very useful (for me anyway)

As far as park assist is concerned, it's basically a system that helps with parallel parking, which I find myself not hard to do at all hence why I didn't go for the system. It's probably something you would use for a few times then forget about it, it requires time to calculate space required, which in real life not as quick as your own calculation on a busy road...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #36
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
There definitely isn't a front camera view at 20 seconds, you can see the rear bumper at the lower end of the nav screen... I am 99.99% sure, even though I agree the video is misleading and shows as if the car is going forward and not backwards...

@Floriank the front nose camera are now included as part of the package of the surround view... I thought they came on when surround view is switched on, but on testing today, they actually don't. However they're very very useful (for me anyway)

As far as park assist is concerned, it's basically a system that helps with parallel parking, which I find myself not hard to do at all hence why I didn't go for the system. It's probably something you would use for a few times then forget about it, it requires time to calculate space required, which in real life not as quick as your own calculation on a busy road...
You are probably right as you allready own a car with surround view ...now am wondering if i really need it ..the main reason was to make my garage parking a bit easier
Appreciate 0