F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What would you do if the dealer damaged your car during a repair?
GetBMWParts
View Poll Results: What would you do if the dealer damaged your car during a repair?
Bring it back in for a repair attempt 78 83.87%
Demand something free as compensation 14 15.05%
Don't do anything, just let it go, this stuff happens 1 1.08%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

02-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #23
LDSM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Ouch those scratches hurt. Hopefully they can resolve this situation, things like this are why I hate letting other people do stuff to my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #24
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Bring it back in and let them resolve the issue. It appears they have been appropriately responsive.

Unfortunately, we all make errors.
+1. Unfortunately it does happen. Happens a little more then I like but all that is fixable. Just get them to touch it up and blend it in followed by a nice polish. THe plastic b pillar panel toatlly replaceable and easy to do.

Sometimes they just dont take their time and it leads to tiny mishaps. I have had it happen.

Like you said stuff happens...
      02-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #25
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I would freak out first.
Regain Composure and have parts replaced.
Make sure they don't list the repaint on your VIN-if you buy/lease somewhere else it'll be noticed and your cars value will be adjusted down.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #26
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

How upset could you really be that you now don't know what you want to do?

This is not your wife/parent/child/sibling going into anaphylactic shock and you don't know what to do (besides call 911). You are either going to ask them to fix it or you aren't. What we say on the matter is really of no consequence; it's not our car and we don't have to live with the scratches or paint chips.

Having said that, I would have them address the chipped paint. That's just a rust spot waiting to occur, and it seems to me you've already had more than your share of interaction with rust.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #27
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
How upset could you really be that you now don't know what you want to do?

This is not your wife/parent/child/sibling going into anaphylactic shock and you don't know what to do (besides call 911). You are either going to ask them to fix it or you aren't. What we say on the matter is really of no consequence; it's not our car and we don't have to live with the scratches or paint chips.

Having said that, I would have them address the chipped paint. That's just a rust spot waiting to occur, and it seems to me you've already had more than your share of interaction with rust.
Please be aware, that it's just a question and you don't need to be critical of a question. If people didn't have an opinion they would just move along. But apparently they feel it important enough to post.

I'd say this is now just more of a warning to those who are planning on getting their rusted seats replaced. It may not be worth it. If it was a choice between dealing with this damage or just leaving the seats the way they were, I'd have done nothing about it.

I'm not going nuts over it, however, I noticed most people here probably would. I was just upset the dealer didn't think it was a big deal, but they should have told me.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #28
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

did you try rubbing that out yourself?

the two driver side ones look like they can be buffed away. the paint chip on the other side obviously not.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #29
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

This is a moot point now. Freak accident on the highway today did damage to my car going to get it all repaired.......
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #30
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Wow, sorry to hear. As long as you weren't injured....

Good luck. For sure March will bring you better luck.
      02-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #31
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Thought I'd share a pic. Dealer doesn't have to paint it anymore, the whole left side got scraped and dented. Freak accident really, I was going 60 mph, a 20 lb. slab of metal came flying at me probably going 60 mph. Just glad I'm alive and it didn't go through the windshield.

Name:  photo-36.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  338.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #32
SwnSng
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport - 6MT - GS

Took my e46 m3 for it's 1200 mile service and someone at the dealership dropped a flat head screw driver on the hood. What pissed me off is that I was the one that found it. I talked to the service manager on how disappointed I was that the mechanic or whomever didn't own up to it. The service manager not only fixed the problem but gave me $500 bucks credit. Of course I was still bummed that my car was no longer "cherry" after that but at least they tried to make it right.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #33
SwnSng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
Thought I'd share a pic. Dealer doesn't have to paint it anymore, the whole left side got scraped and dented. Freak accident really, I was going 60 mph, a 20 lb. slab of metal came flying at me probably going 60 mph. Just glad I'm alive and it didn't go through the windshield.

Attachment 824020
Lucked out man. Thankfully nothing happened. I lost a friend in highschool from something like this...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #34
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwnSng View Post
Lucked out man. Thankfully nothing happened. I lost a friend in highschool from something like this...
That's quite a loss. condolences.

I didn't think about it that way until I told my wife. I was just upset about all the damage and how I had no time to react, it was that fast. Two more feet to the left, there would have been no damage, two more feet to the right and I'd probably be dead as this was at eye level.

I'm still just wondering how a slab of metal came flying at me like that from under some guy's tire on the freeway. He must have been accelerating over it which flung it up at me. I'm kicking myself for not having my gopro online cuz it was pretty spectacular, not in a good way though.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #35
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

As an update, since I got this damage, I let the paint thing go. However, they are ordering a replacement plastic piece for the passenger's side. My car is no longer pristine... and it's only been four months...

It would be nice to get some store credit, but it looks like I'll get nothing. I just want to be made whole again anyways.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #36
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
As an update, since I got this damage, I let the paint thing go. However, they are ordering a replacement plastic piece for the passenger's side. My car is no longer pristine... and it's only been four months...

It would be nice to get some store credit, but it looks like I'll get nothing. I just want to be made whole again anyways.
Man that sucks. But at least the metal missed your head.

The body shop will make it look like it never happened. I had a little bumper damage from some jerk when I only had the car for a few weeks. Man was I pissed, but now it's a distant memory.
      02-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #37
SwnSng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

It puts a lot of things in perspective doesn't it. Your car is going to look like nothing ever happened and every new car will eventually lose it's "cherry" could have been infinitely worse. In a few years this story will not be about the dealer "F'ing Up" but that you dodged a bullet one day on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #38
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It puts a lot of things in perspective doesn't it. Your car is going to look like nothing ever happened and every new car will eventually lose it's "cherry" could have been infinitely worse. In a few years this story will not be about the dealer "F'ing Up" but that you dodged a bullet one day on the highway.
+1

I'm still a little shell shocked. I was researching how much force a windshield can withstand, then found a video of an audi motorist being killed by an object going through the windshield. Looked exactly like what happened to me today, only though it sheared my side mirror off. Total freak accident.

I will no longer complain about a little scratch anymore, I'm changing my vote to, don't sweat the small things.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #39
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

This is all covered under uninsured motorist coverage anyway at this point, yes?

And, sorry to hear that you had that incident, but glad you are OK.

I can't tell from the second pic, but the scratch caused by the dealer may not be covered if it's not in the area affected by the road object.

Good Luck with the body work/fixes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #40
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is all covered under uninsured motorist coverage anyway at this point, yes?

And, sorry to hear that you had that incident, but glad you are OK.

I can't tell from the second pic, but the scratch caused by the dealer may not be covered if it's not in the area affected by the road object.

Good Luck with the body work/fixes.
They gotta blend the other panels, so yes it does get fixed. This was covered under collision with a moving object I was told. Repair will be $3k.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #41
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They gotta blend the other panels, so yes it does get fixed. This was covered under collision with a moving object I was told. Repair will be $3k.
Well, if that's what they say, OK, but if I had nothing to do with the object colliding with my car, I would not let them cover it under collision. That's the part of your policy that basically deems you at fault and will cause your rate to go up and your insurance score to go down.

If object flew off of some shabby vehicle, it's uninsured motorist.

If the object was hurled by a tornado or other act of God/nature, it's comprehensive.

You can't be held culpable for either of those two, although uninsured coverage will often also include a free-to-you comparable rental car while the body shop has your car for the repair. (If you pick up the rental car from the BMW store you normally use, you'll get a 3er.)

Whatever you do, fight like hell to get it covered under something other than collision.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #42
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, if that's what they say, OK, but if I had nothing to do with the object colliding with my car, I would not let them cover it under collision. That's the part of your policy that basically deems you at fault and will cause your rate to go up and your insurance score to go down.

If object flew off of some shabby vehicle, it's uninsured motorist.

If the object was hurled by a tornado or other act of God/nature, it's comprehensive.

You can't be held culpable for either of those two, although uninsured coverage will often also include a free-to-you comparable rental car while the body shop has your car for the repair. (If you pick up the rental car from the BMW store you normally use, you'll get a 3er.)

Whatever you do, fight like hell to get it covered under something other than collision.
Ah, okay, thanks for the info. I'll have a chat with them.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #43
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger
Quote:
That's quite a loss. condolences.

I didn't think about it that way until I told my wife. I was just upset about all the damage and how I had no time to react, it was that fast. Two more feet to the left, there would have been no damage, two more feet to the right and I'd probably be dead as this was at eye level.

I'm still just wondering how a slab of metal came flying at me like that from under some guy's tire on the freeway. He must have been accelerating over it which flung it up at me. I'm kicking myself for not having my gopro online cuz it was pretty spectacular, not in a good way though.
Where did this happen?

Something similar happened to my wife on 287 in Westchester 4 years ago...sliced her mirror off like that too.

Both you and her were lucky, random piece of metal flying from under a truck would require way too much reflex so glad you're ok.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #44
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Where did this happen?

Something similar happened to my wife on 287 in Westchester 4 years ago...sliced her mirror off like that too.

Both you and her were lucky, random piece of metal flying from under a truck would require way too much reflex so glad you're ok.
Thanks, I now know that I was very lucky and the car damage will get repaired. I'm going to start taking the smith system driving skills to heart now. The funny thing is our work just had a refresher course the day after the incident on driving safety, the scary statistic is most drivers have an accident every 18 years.

It happened on the freeway right before the offramp to my work in downtown LA. It's a pretty hazardous area as people from the freeway are trying to get off and another freeway merges where people are trying to get on.

That's pretty freaky that it happened to your wife before. Is this stuff really that common!?! Hope it's a one in a million event.

Be careful out there guys, it's a jungle...
Appreciate 0