F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Need assistance with complaint... No justification or explanation per BMW NA.
Extreme Powerhouse

01-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #1
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB-II/CR 228i xDrive

Need assistance with complaint... No justification or explanation per BMW NA.

Hey guys and girls(?),

I submitted a complaint to BMW NA Customer Relations for being charged for brake discs under the free maintenance program. Does anyone have names/numbers/emails of other avenues to get this situation addressed? Here is my follow-up email to the generic voicemail I received stating that I would not be reimbursed:

"Subject: Request for written explanation of formal complaint investigation and BMW NA's decision.

Dear BMW NA Customer Relations,

Please see the attached letter as it relates to the formal complaint I have compiled regarding the charges for BMW brake discs that were to be covered under BMW's free maintenance plan. The decision was made, according to the spokesperson on the phone, to not reimburse me for the dealer charges. I am requesting, in writing, an explanation of the investigation (with [removed] BMW) that was performed regarding this complaint and a thorough explanation of why BMW brake discs with evidence of rust on them are not covered under the maintenance plan. The individual dealing with this issue has no knowledge on the nature of this complaint as he could not explain why BMW NA does not replace brake discs due to rusting. On two separate occasions I have requested that this matter be handled by another individual, yet I am still getting responses from the same individual who cannot seem to help me. In summary, I am requesting a written explanation of the investigation that was completed to arrive at the conclusion that BMW is not responsible for covering, under the free maintenance plan, BMW brake discs. I am also requesting a technical explanation of why rust is not covered, which the individual over the phone was not able to supply. I am requesting a third time that I would like this matter handled by an individual more familiar with the workings of passenger vehicles, namely BMWs. Lastly, I do not wish to speak to the same individual previously handling this complaint at all and request that BMW NA's official response and explanation be handled by a different individual. Thank you for handling this request in a professional and prompt manner before I take PCD delivery of a 2016 228i xDrive on 3/24/2016, so as to restore some of my confidence in the BMW brand.

Respectfully,
P.J. [contact info...]"

Here is the link to the original letter sent to BMW NA Customer Relations (with some editing for privacy, of course)...:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Thanks for any suggestions everyone!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

P.S. I am fully aware that $200 is NOTHING to pay for BMW brake service... it is really the principle of the matter and that I have remained loyal by ordering another car even after the terrible service history with my 3 series...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #3
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Sounds like they are tired of dealing with your car. You would think BMW could air until MY 2017 when they won't include brakes in the maintenance plan to refuse to do them gradis. Acting on principal is a good thing. All you can be is persistent. This is a lame sentiment ,but good luck.

Last edited by Tpeterson; 01-29-2016 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 10:14 PM   #4
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

Sorry to read you've been given the run around. Question: Were the rotors already rusted when your car was delivered to you or had it been sitting in the dealer's lot for awhile? I've noticed also that the one time when my car was washed by the service dept., that rust formed on the hub portion of the rotor. Probably due to them using a very strong (acidic?) wheel cleaning solution to spray on the wheels which stripped off any protective coating that then resulted in the rotor hubs rusting. Prior to the service dept washing my car, I had always done the wash myself and only used a mild wheel detergent with no rust occurring. Either way, the braking performance did not seem to be affected as the rust was on the hub portion and not on the disc itself. It was more of an esthetic issue. After that one episode, I've always requested NOT to have them wash my cars and I've not had any rust issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 11:41 PM   #5
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

Man, your one of those guys or your trolling us.

Rust on brake disks is not covered because it doesn't check any of these three boxes. Safety, it's surface rust and purely cosmetic. Performance, the rust doesn't interfere with stopping what so ever. Third, they were within wear specification. And lastly, find a new dealer, they should have explained that they were not covered under the maint. contract or warranty since the rust is purely cosmetic.
Appreciate 4
      01-30-2016, 01:47 AM   #6
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

To OP, brake rotor rust can easily be removed by normal brake application in daily driving. Is the rust still visible after, say, 10 miles of stop-and-go city driving(that includes normal braking)? If not then there will no real issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 01:57 AM   #7
M47
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
To OP, brake rotor rust can easily be removed by normal brake application in daily driving. Is the rust still visible after, say, 10 miles of stop-and-go city driving(that includes normal braking)? If not then there will no real issue.
How about brake hub rust? How can I remove it?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 04:01 AM   #8
Project Elite
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30

Rust to rotors is like bird poop to paint, except the bird poop is more harmful.
Appreciate 2
      01-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #9
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Here is the reason. Surface rust is common on many, many, many brake rotors on vehicles produced by many different automobile manufacturers. It is purely a cosmetic issue and does not degrade performance or cause any deterioration of the structural integrity of the rotors. It does not constitute a manufacturing defect. If the rotors thickness meets BMWNA's minimum standard not to require replacement along with the pads then they are not covered as necessary maintenance.

Did you specifically ask to have the rotors replaced? Did your dealer offer to paint the hubs with a rust inhibiting paint? This is a common remedy offered by many dealers.
The disgusting part about this is that they did not measure the thickness of the rotors per the SA and the documentation I submitted with my complaint.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 01:13 PM   #10
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labeef View Post
Man, your one of those guys or your trolling us.

Rust on brake disks is not covered because it doesn't check any of these three boxes. Safety, it's surface rust and purely cosmetic. Performance, the rust doesn't interfere with stopping what so ever. Third, they were within wear specification. And lastly, find a new dealer, they should have explained that they were not covered under the maint. contract or warranty since the rust is purely cosmetic.
THE ROTORS ACTIVATED DSC ABOVE 50MPH BECAUSE THEY WERE SO WARPED. IT WAS A SAFETY ISSUE. I WOULD NEVER MENTION RUST ON A PART MADE OF CAST IRON, HOW RIDICULOUS.

Last edited by pjohns21; 02-02-2016 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 01:16 PM   #11
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Here is the reason. Surface rust is common on many, many, many brake rotors on vehicles produced by many different automobile manufacturers. It is purely a cosmetic issue and does not degrade performance or cause any deterioration of the structural integrity of the rotors. It does not constitute a manufacturing defect. If the rotors thickness meets BMWNA's minimum standard not to require replacement along with the pads then they are not covered as necessary maintenance.

Did you specifically ask to have the rotors replaced? Did your dealer offer to paint the hubs with a rust inhibiting paint? This is a common remedy offered by many dealers.
I TOOK THE CAR TO THE DEALER BECAUSE OF EXCESSIVE "oscillation," I NEVER SUGGESTED THEY BE REPLACED BECAUSE THEY WERE "rusty."
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #12
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

The braking system was intensely fragile above 50mph, the front and rear brakes shuttered violently when applying the brakes on the expressway, where the speed limit is 45mph. I am not an idiot who would take their vehicle to the dealer for "rusty" rotors- I thought I made that clear when I stated that cast iron is an alloy of metals which rust naturally.

Last edited by pjohns21; 01-30-2016 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #13
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You didn't answer the question. Did you ask them to replace the rotors because of the rust?

??? That's what your complaint is about, is it not? That's what you refer to in your letter to BMWNA.

Surface rust on the hubs and/or rotors did not cause them to warp.
I was told the excessive oscillation would not be covered because they found evidence of rust on the rotors. The rotors were bad before the last service because they fried the brake pads in 5k. They had to replace the brake pads again (per FREE MAINTENANCE) because of this, FREE OF CHARGE. Yet, I was stuck with the fee of paying for the rotors. This is not a complicated situation.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 01:27 PM   #14
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

The mentioning of rust was never, EVER suggested by me. Except for when the dealer said they wouldn't be covered because of it. This is when I began mentioning it in the complaint. Why would someone who states that cast iron rusts naturally due to oxidation take their 3 series to the dealer to have their rotors replaced because of it?! I have documentation from the exact service date that says, paraphrasing of course, "customer states excessive oscillation from brakes when slowing down from speeds greater than 50mph."
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #15
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpeterson View Post
Sounds like they are tired of dealing with your car. You would think BMW could air until MY 2017 when they won't include brakes in the maintenance plan to refuse to do them gradis. Acting on principal is a good thing. All you can be is persistent. This is a lame sentiment ,but good luck.
Tired of dealing with German engineering? The entire [removed] family dynasty exists in this city because of BMW. It gave them the capital to run Bentley, Lambo., Bugatti, RR, Maserati, etc. dealers and rip off the hard working assholes who live here. I had a distant family member of the clan personally hack into my service records to get my personal and vehicle information to use it against me, but let's not get off topic.

Last edited by pjohns21; 01-30-2016 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #16
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

There are reasons their yelp rating is 2.5, besides the fact they wanted over $700 a month for a car that was $34k. My credit score, at the time, was 824.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 01:57 PM   #17
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns21 View Post
THE ROTORS ACTIVATED DSC ABOVE 50MPH BECAUSE THEY WERE SO WARPED. IT WAS A SAFETY ISSUE. I WOULD NEVER MENTION RUST ON A PART MADE OF CAST IRON, HOW RIDICULOUS. TAKE A GENERAL CHEMISTRY COURSE.
HOW ABOUT INCLUDING THIS ALL IN YOUR POST. Clearly they felt otherwise or you were a complete ass hole, I'm going with the latter. Take a course in humility.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #18
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labeef View Post
HOW ABOUT INCLUDING THIS ALL IN YOUR POST. Clearly they felt otherwise or you were a complete ass hole, I'm going with the latter. Take a course in humility.
It's all clearly stated in the complaints. There is no text which suggests that I ever thought that the brakes, wheels, car, or SA himself (although he is an old Russian) were rusty. This was the feedback from the dealer. To me, this is not a good explanation, nor a technical one. I am sorry you think I lack humility. Once again, I do not enjoy being taken advantage of because of the fact that there is only one BMW dealer within the city limits of Chicago. Lastly, the insult is one word, not two.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 02:26 PM   #19
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, you don't get to leave out telling the very basis for the original issue and then complain to us "this is not a complicated situation".

That family dynasty has, by far, the worst reputation of any dealer in Chicagoland. They are there to sell stuff to folks who live in downtown Chicago with more money than they know what to do with and can't be bothered with the little details of life.

I'm out.
Yes, you are correct. Not complicated, to me, means that the rotors were warped and they should have been replaced for free. I think my email and original letter were too windy for many to read and comprehend, but it was required for a full explanation of the complicated situation. This is what went south for me- the derelict on the phone representing BMW and the people on this thread that can't form a complete picture of the situation based on my extensive exposition. No one interested in or working for the company that perpetuates the "Ultimate Driving Machine" should lack such basic critical thinking skills.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #20
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

I am simply asking for an explanation of why "rusty" (per BMW SA) rotors aren't grounds for replacement through the free maintenance program when I drove into the garage and stated that the wheels pulsated violently when slowing down at highway speeds. No mention of "rust" anywhere in the service/maintenance manual. So call me all of the names you would like and enlighten me if you have more information than I do. I thought I drove something nicer than a G6...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #21
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns21 View Post
This is what went south for me- the derelict on the phone representing BMW and the people on this thread that can't form a complete picture of the situation based on my extensive exposition. No one interested in or working for the company that perpetuates the "Ultimate Driving Machine" should lack such basic critical thinking skills.
Either our reading comprehension is bad or your writing sucks. Given that you've struck out 3 times (dealer, BMW NA, this thread), you might want to at least consider the notion that maybe your communication skills could use some improvement.

And also look up the definition of the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #22
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

WITH NO EVIDENCE OF ROTOR THICKNESS MEASUREMENTS IN THE SERVICE INVOICE OR BY MOUTH FROM THE SA (aka Rusty Russian)... *yawn*
Appreciate 0