F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
Extreme Powerhouse

03-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #969
cedchung
Lieutenant
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25, 2014 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Maybe a combox in the boot and pulling up the cables to the front is a hassle!

That's why I brought the cable.
Yes that's right.

Thanks for the link I will order the cable.

What did you do for the microphones, AUX wires and bluetooth antenna? I would rather use all new wires than pull anything from the boot. It also allows the retrofit to be fully reversible.
      03-25-2015, 04:43 PM   #970
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedchung View Post
Yes that's right.

Thanks for the link I will order the cable.

What did you do for the microphones, AUX wires and bluetooth antenna? I would rather use all new wires than pull anything from the boot. It also allows the retrofit to be fully reversible.
AUX......who cares! I've never used it.

The BT I brought this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-CIC-NB...-/251525655643, no issues connecting to my iPhone 6 and 5S.

For the both the microphones, I've brought 2 male connectors (that fit the existing microphone female connector) and rewired them to 4 MQS connect pins (replaces existing pins in the emulator quadlok), I did this so I didn't have to snip any existing wires and like yourself....easier to back out
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 04:53 PM   #971
cedchung
Lieutenant
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25, 2014 F30

Quote:
AUX......who cares! I've never used it.

The BT I brought this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-CIC-NB...-/251525655643, no issues connecting to my iPhone 6 and 5S.

For the both the microphones, I've brought 2 male connectors (that fit the existing microphone female connector) and rewired them to 4 MQS connect pins (replaces existing pins in the emulator quadlok), I did this so I didn't have to snip any existing wires and like yourself....easier to back out
That's exactly what I was looking for.

Do you have the part numbers for the male microphone connectors? Thanks
      03-25-2015, 04:55 PM   #972
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabamaru View Post
Thank's for the info. I don't have so much time to spend reading the coding threads, lots of work, family, you know what i mean...
As for the updates, i am talking about software car updates, not updates of the nbt. If my car is original coded, that means that there is no emulator and is like the nbt is factory build for my car. It is not easy or convenient to backout the NBT.
What is the GPS module? Do you mean gps antenna? Because this antenna is included in the kit. Also probably there is no need to turn the usb connector 180 degrees because i don't have a combox.
I can backout the NBT and replace the HU_ENTRY in about 20mins + 10 mins for coding.

As for the GPS module, yes I am referring to the the antenna. In rgds to the USB, I'm pretty sure you still need to turn the connection 180 degrees. I did my brothers F31 and we had to reverse the connector.

As for the telephone/BT updates, you will need to update the NBT with original VIN, as your current VIN will only download HU_ENTRY only updates.
For software updates (from a dealer), I think you they might fail because updates from dealers are based off your VIN, which in turn is based off your VO. Your updated VO (which will have 609 and maybe 6NS added), will not match, what the dealer is expecting.....potentially invalidating your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 05:13 PM   #973
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedchung View Post
Do you have the part numbers for the male microphone connectors? Thanks
61138377072 - Male Connector

You will also need 4 of these: 61130005197 (this is the contact that you solder the wire to and this clips inside the male connector.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 08:47 AM   #974
kabamaru
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f20 ed

Quote:
I can backout the NBT and replace the HU_ENTRY in about 20mins + 10 mins for coding.

As for the GPS module, yes I am referring to the the antenna. In rgds to the USB, I'm pretty sure you still need to turn the connection 180 degrees. I did my brothers F31 and we had to reverse the connector.

As for the telephone/BT updates, you will need to update the NBT with original VIN, as your current VIN will only download HU_ENTRY only updates.
For software updates (from a dealer), I think you they might fail because updates from dealers are based off your VIN, which in turn is based off your VO. Your updated VO (which will have 609 and maybe 6NS added), will not match, what the dealer is expecting.....potentially invalidating your warranty.
I have read in this forum that in case the combox isn't installed in the trunk the usb cable is plug and play. Anyway, that's not a big issue.
Next month my warranty will expire so no problem.
If i opt for the original bmw coding, do you know if there is a possibility to have problem in the future during software updates? I hope that the coding will not be lost.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 08:52 AM   #975
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

In rgds to the usb I'm telling you from practical knowledge, you risk frying your usb stick or apple cable etc.

As I've mentioned, even if you do the original coding to the NBT, that will be local to your car, BMW will have no idea about it, potentially causing issues with updates.

Coding won't be lost unless they update a particular ecu you have coded. But as you say, your out of warranty so it might not matter....just code again.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 05:32 PM   #976
kabamaru
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f20 ed

As far as i understand, the original coding to the NBT only is not worth my money, better to go for an emulator.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #977
zenas428
Rep
Drives: BMW 328

Can someone please help me. I've been trying to retrofit a nbt system. I installed everything into place, screen, unit, itouch. I started coding, i looked at your post kitser. Changed to 6NS, added 609, and I coded the VO HU_Nbt. But still my screen just shows a blank. I can here the system making noises but I don't see anything on my screen? Any idea why? Please help this is driving me nuts!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #978
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Strange, as soon as you install the NBT most of it works before any coding! Did you upgrade to the new ProNav screen?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #979
zenas428
Rep

Hey guys, i installed the whole nbt system into my bimmer but the screen is not turning on. Do i need a separate monitor cord? I used the one that came with my Hu_entry.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #980
zenas428
Rep

kitser when u installed ur nbt did u use the monitor cord that you already had? or did you have to order a separate monitor cord? I see some forums talking about a pink cord vs a purple cord. Wondering if thats the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #981
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenas428 View Post
Hey guys, i installed the whole nbt system into my bimmer but the screen is not turning on. Do i need a separate monitor cord? I used the one that came with my Hu_entry.
No the cable for the ProNav screen is different from the 6.5" HU_ENTRY one. The cable from the HU_ENTRY to the 6.5" screen is burgundy to burgundy, the cable you need is burgundy to pink. You need the ProNav 8.8" display because the back of the screen connector is burgundy and the pink part goes into the NBT.

You need something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Naviga...item487c54712b

Last edited by kitster; 03-27-2015 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #982
BeatB
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Hey guys. Today was the day, I finally did the retrofit and was successful.

Just with the last step (VO Code HU_NBT and KOMBI) im not finished. I added VO 609 and changed 6NH to 6NS then wrote new FA to the car. Then I FDL coded KOMBI_CIC to kombi_low and put Aktiv in MMI_LIST.
I tried to drive and use the navigation but it did not show the right location, also bluetooth was not working. Maybe after VO coding the HU_NBT and KOMBI I hope it will work.

Right now I see that voice control is activated with this NBT. I can press the button and it tells me to make a command but my voice is not recognized.

My question now is: after VO coding HU_NBT and KOMBI will voice command work or it wont even get started as it now does?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 12:48 AM   #983
Terabyte
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 316d

BeatB

Do you have a microphone in your car?
Should be in the roof, over the driver seat.

It looks like that your car was not equipped with handsfree
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 01:45 AM   #984
BeatB
Private First Class
Austria
Rep

Hi Terabyte. Yes I have handsfree together with the microfone. I unplugged all available cables and plugged them into the new head unit. This should be fine. Today I will vo code and will see if it works. My fear is that the activated fsc code in the hu for voice control will be deleted after vo coding.

I did not vo code and it still shows the old car where the Nbt is from on the Monitor. So I hope vo coding will fix everything.

Last edited by BeatB; 03-29-2015 at 01:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 01:56 AM   #985
Terabyte
Private First Class
Austria
Rep

No fsc code will be deleted, when you VO Code

So VO Code NBT and see if it works
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 02:26 AM   #986
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatB
Hi Terabyte. Yes I have handsfree together with the microfone. I unplugged all available cables and plugged them into the new head unit. This should be fine. Today I will vo code and will see if it works. My fear is that the activated fsc code in the hu for voice control will be deleted after vo coding.

I did not vo code and it still shows the old car where the Nbt is from on the Monitor. So I hope vo coding will fix everything.
VO coding just defaults the ECU back to factory settings but no codes will be deleted.

Does you car have the combox??
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 05:03 AM   #987
BeatB
Private First Class
Austria
Rep

Quote:
VO coding just defaults the ECU back to factory settings but no codes will be deleted.

Does you car have the combox??
No I had hu_entry. Now I vo coded the 2 ecu. Bluetooth works but it seems the microfone does not work, the opponent on the phone can not hear me.

Also GPS seems to have the old location stored and it doesn't retrieve the current location. Damn what can I do now?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 05:31 AM   #988
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatB View Post
No I had hu_entry. Now I vo coded the 2 ecu. Bluetooth works but it seems the microfone does not work, the opponent on the phone can not hear me.

Also GPS seems to have the old location stored and it doesn't retrieve the current location. Damn what can I do now?
You can HU_ENTRY and Combox (if you had EBT), but some cars come with it even without EBT. Have you checked for it?

In rgds to the Nav, have you take it for a spin? Mine thought I was in Netherlands, took it for a spin around the block and it now is working fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 05:34 AM   #989
Terabyte
Private First Class
Austria
Rep

GPS may need some minutes to find the correct position. A spin around could help too.

For microphone. Did you try voice commands again?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 05:40 AM   #990
BeatB
Private First Class
Austria
Rep

Yes voice control still active but doesn't recognize my voice. I try right now to change microphone position in cafd maybe this is the problem.

WWill take a spin later. Thx for the reply guys.
Appreciate 0