F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 13' 335i, No Crank No Start
Studio RSR

01-28-2024, 05:53 PM   #1
Awdbrandon
Rep
Drives: 13' 335i 6MT/XDrive

13' 335i, No Crank No Start

Hey all,

I apologize if this post is not fruitful, as this is my first major problem with my newly acquired 13' 335i.

For reference, it is a Manual, XDrive, with 118k.

The Issue:
Yesterday, 1/27, I was driving making multiple stops at multiple stores, and 3 of which were within 3-5 mins of each other so the car had a few start/stops within a small window.
As I got to my last stop before heading home, the car would not turn back on.
All electronics were working fine, however it threw two faults at first which were:
"Starter System Fault" and "Fuel System"
After a while, it eventually threw "ABS" and "Chassis Stabilization".

Jumping the car did not help, and tapping the starter also did not help.

I got the car towed home, and input a new battery as the battery in the car was from 2013!! (Wow).

I've used BimmerLink to pull some codes, and I'm not sure where to look now.

Here are the faults I pulled, any help is appreciated.

Please see attachments.

EDIT:

The ground cable between the transmission and chassis (6MT) solved my issue!

I used a universal ACDelco $12 cable off of Amazon for the time being.

However, the car is still in LIMP Mode with various random codes. I shut the car off after clearing the codes to no avail, any idea?
Attached Images

Last edited by Awdbrandon; 01-30-2024 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 08:09 PM   #2
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

is it the orginal battery. Have it load tested at your nearest auto parts store. Weak batteries cause a myrid of codes and malfunctions. Welcome the the computer age!!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 09:06 PM   #3
Awdbrandon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
is it the orginal battery. Have it load tested at your nearest auto parts store. Weak batteries cause a myrid of codes and malfunctions. Welcome the the computer age!!
Hey, thanks for your reply!

It was an original BMW battery with a 1/13 date on it! I replaced it, and coded a new one today, however I'm still having the same issues sadly.

Prior to my last stop on the way home, the car seemed to struggle to start up, then the next stop it didn't at all. I checked my ground strap and it's in pretty rough shape.. That's going to be my next replacement (I have no clue what I'm doing, but it seemed to have worked for others)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 09:38 PM   #4
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Could be the starter? I dont think the “tapping” technique works on newer cars, that was a thing from way back.
      01-28-2024, 09:46 PM   #5
Awdbrandon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
Could be the starter? I dont think the “tapping” technique works on newer cars, that was a thing from way back.
I was thinking that as well, as I got "Starter System Fault" as my first fault on my iDrive the second this happened.

With that being said, it clicks once in a while now, but no attempt to turn. I figured with the amount of codes and faults on the iDrive for ABS, DSC etc. it's likely to be a connection somewhere.

My 6MT was recently swapped with another transmission due to 2nd gear grind, about 2 weeks ago, and I'm wondering if that ground cable could be the culprit.

I'm trying to avoid the manifold for the time being, LOL.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 12:11 PM   #6
Awdbrandon
Rep

SOLVED!!

SOLVED!!!!!

The ground strap from the transmission to the chassis was the culrpit!

As seen in the above photo it solved my issue.

I used an ACDelco Ground Strap off of Amazon for the time being just for the sake of diagnosis, which was $12!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 04:52 PM   #7
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Thanks for updating. I might just preemptively replace mine, it's starting to discolor. I think these straps should be replaced when the battery is replaced
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 12:20 PM   #8
Awdbrandon
Rep

UPDATE:

So apparently, the issue is not solved.. after a new battery and ground strap, the car fires right up!

I cleared what codes I had through BimmerLink, turned the car on and drove down the road. However, the car now seems to be in limp mode.

There's a Valvetronic code for the number of attempts, but apart from that it seems the be the main error memory.

Can the ACDelco ground strap that I used for the sake of starting the car be the issue? Can it potentially not be carrying enough current?
Appreciate 0