F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Our Answers to Your BMW 4 Series FAQ
ARMA SPEED

07-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Arrow Our Answers to Your BMW 4 Series FAQ

We recently asked for your questions regarding the BMW 4 Series and we brought those (together with some of our own) to the drive launch for the F32. Big thanks to all the gracious BMW representatives who patiently answered our questions.

Here's what we were able to find out for BIMMERPOST members.

Are there suspension or steering tweaks/improvements in the F32 compared to the F30?

The F32 is much more rigid than the F30. One way BMW has done this is by using a different suspension with extra V- or X- bracing from the subframes going back to the car's chassis. Also, the entire suspension is different from the F30. We know this car will be mostly driven with two people aboard and in a sporting way. Therefore, we have tuned the suspension for the performance minded driver who needs a coupe that can hold four people occasionally. BMW has tested its competitors car's chassis, and we (BMW) have the highest torsional rigidity in this class of car.

The F32's electric power steering has different programming to allow for a sportier experience.

How do the lower center of gravity and other suspension tweaks impact handling specifically?

While it's not something you can really feel, it's something you CAN measure. In a slalom or emergency lane change maneuver, it can be measured. The F32 is about 0.5 mph faster in a slalom (than the F30) and the car is more stable under a emergency lane change because the center of gravity is much lower than that on a F30.

Does the coupe still have sport suspension as standard?

No. It really was not standard on the e92 either (only initially when the car first launched). The F32 will come with a standard suspension, with two dynamic settings: Sport and Comfort. M Sport cars will have the same ride height as the standard suspension -- this is something new. Also, xDrive models will have a slightly higher ride height due to their use for driving on snow and ice.

Does the xDrive suspension on the 4 series have the same calibration as the F30's xDrive suspension calibration?

No, the F32 suspensions are all new in their tuning/damping.

Why is the xDrive version of the 435i faster than the non xDrive version, yet the same is not so for the 428i compared to the 428i xDrive?

Well... xDrive only adds about 70Kg's of weight to the car. And it really aids in low traction situations... so it should be no wonder why a car would be faster in acceleration from a stand still than a 2 wheel drive car. But, it should be noted that xDrive does add some weight where you really do not need added weight - in the nose of the car. This is why the M brand has deemed it less than "pure" for use in M models. But, for people who live in snowy areas... this is an acceptable trade-off for added traction in winter conditions.

How much more rigid is the 4 Series chassis than the E92 3 Series Coupe?

It is 60% more rigid, due to the use of added suspension cross bracing on the front and rear subframes linking the suspension with the car's chassis. We spend a lot of time on this - making the two door coupe stiffer.

How do the times around the Nurburgring compare to a similarly configured F30?

The coupe is faster than the sedan, but we do not have any 'Ring lap times to give you in terms of xx time vs yy lap times. We can say the F32 coupe is faster than the sedan due to the above mentioned chassis improvements.

Can we expect a M435i model in the future?

No plans of yet.

Any possibility for DCT transmission in the future?

No. The DCT will be for M models. The latest eight speed ZF automatic shifts so fast and cleanly, we do not see the need for a DCT.

It was rumored last generation that the coupes would form the 4 Series, but it was scrapped. What was it that made it happen this time around?

Not really my dept... so I can not answer as to why now. But, back then we did not have a X6 nor a 6 Series Gran Coupe, so the even numbering is fitting in with our model hierarchy. I think it makes it easier for the customer to know an even number is a coupe (or coupe-like) form and that odd numbers are our sedan models.

Any particular reason for the hood cutline position being in the middle of the hood instead of where it joins the grilles? Is there a technical reason for it?

There are a lot of reasons why, but mostly it is for pedestrian crash rules here in the EU and in the USA. We have to have "soft" areas in the front of the car and the only way to do this is to have that "cutline". We even make the hood of the car "softer" or more "friendly" to pedestrians impacts and design preformed crush areas of the hood for EU or US crash standards. But it's all a compromise, so we try to build a car that can meet all the modern day requirements today's car must meet and excel in.

* Some of the above has been paraphrased and are not word-for-word quotes.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
boulderado
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i xDrive

Thanks! The q&a is really helpful
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Booster
Pave The Rainforest
Rep
Drives: Wagon

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Will there be a 420 in U.S.?
If so, I will reserve my "munchies" personalized plate right now...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
kgaler
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Nice, Thank you
      07-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that whatever tuning they did to the f32 steering can be applied to the f30. that's just so much BS in my mind. just because I need a car for 2 more people doesn't mean I want it to feel like im drivin a minivan. I buy a bmw cause I want a SPORTS SEDAN.

sigh ...
      07-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Also, xDrive models will have a slightly higher ride height due to their use for driving on snow and ice
Does this imply the only reason sport and m sport x-drive f30's don't get the lowered sport suspension is because they're used for ice and snow??? I thought there were more technical reasons making it a bad idea to lower it? No one actually wants the higher ride height, ice and snow or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

interesting about the suspension - so it is not a "sports" suspension, but it has adjustable dampers??

I am confused as to what DHP offers on the 4 series then (or is it just std)...
      07-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
strati1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster
Will there be a 420 in U.S.?
If so, I will reserve my "munchies" personalized plate right now...
Lol, 420i with some nice rasta performance stripes... it would be perfect
//Mods: Golf Tee, red out tails, smoked fogs, B&G S2 Springs, Adjustable Koni Yellows, Vorshlag Camberplates, PSS 225 square, Macht Schnell 90mm studs, H&R spacers 15mm front 20mm rear (no rubbing), RPI scoops, K&N
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

would love if xdrive msport models got the suspension upgrades as well. for us xdrive guys its hard to spend the $3500 on appearances alone.
      07-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
atlas310
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

How about a diesel 4-series stateside?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
Beemerup
Rep
Drives: 2007 335 Vert

435 Covertible statside?

So, lots of news on the 435 coupe...what about the 435 convertible for ED?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
Thanks for posting this. It was interesting and informative.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Thanks for asking the qs
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #14
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Any particular reason for the hood cutline position being in the middle of the hood instead of where it joins the grilles? Is there a technical reason for it?

There are a lot of reasons why, but mostly it is for pedestrian crash rules here in the EU and in the USA. We have to have "soft" areas in the front of the car and the only way to do this is to have that "cutline". We even make the hood of the car "softer" or more "friendly" to pedestrians impacts and design preformed crush areas of the hood for EU or US crash standards. But it's all a compromise, so we try to build a car that can meet all the modern day requirements today's car must meet and excel in.

Well that explains a lot about the ugly cut line.
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
1-2MANY
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Cool car, but still not sure if it's different enough from the 3 series to warrant a new name. Maybe future generations will differentiate more.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

So Sport Suspension is not standard nor it is standard with M-Sport trim - how do you get sport suspension in this car then?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
tbensous
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY13E92M3
Quote:

Well that explains a lot about the ugly cut line.
That doesn't explain anything and is pure BS... The X3 and X5 don't have this ugly line (although X1 has).

How do Audi and Merc manage to sell cars in Europe ? None of them have this ugly line on the hood.

Total bullshit...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #18
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
So Sport Suspension is not standard nor it is standard with M-Sport trim - how do you get sport suspension in this car then?
The car has a adaptive suspension(comfort or sport settings/valving). The ride height is the same on all the 4er models. IF you want a lowered, more sporty suspension... you will have to look at the M Performance catalog, like one that was fitted to the white F32 I posted pics of(but then you loose the adaptive settings, and you get regular shocks). The M Perfomance car rides 10mm lower than the Coupe suspension - and the guys from M say it is the best of both worlds for comfort and sporty driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #19
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
I'm confused. So the adatpive damper is standard? Then what does the handling package do? Or is there difference between Adaptive Damper (Dynamic Handling Package) and standard "adjustable" suspension??
So either way will be able to control stiffness??
Above answer is confusing me even more :S
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
Al-Arsenalawy
Rep
Drives: VW R32

the best thing for the m performance is that it includes special seats..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #21
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:

Why is the xDrive version of the 435i faster than the non xDrive version, yet the same is not so for the 428i compared to the 428i xDrive?

Well... xDrive only adds about 70Kg's of weight to the car. And it really aids in low traction situations... so it should be no wonder why a car would be faster in acceleration from a stand still than a 2 wheel drive car. But, it should be noted that xDrive does add some weight where you really do not need added weight - in the nose of the car. This is why the M brand has deemed it less than "pure" for use in M models. But, for people who live in snowy areas... this is an acceptable trade-off for added traction in winter conditions.

TY for following through in general with answering everyone's questions. That was very nice of you to do.

Regarding the one I cited above, I understand what you said, and I accept that it must be what the BMW people told you. I don't know that it answers the question for I a similar pattern of outcomes -- that is both cars 0-60 times go up or both go down, but not one up and one down -- from the installation of xDrive on the two cars. Even so, I appreciate your effort all the same.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 01:26 AM   #22
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
The car has a adaptive suspension(comfort or sport settings/valving). The ride height is the same on all the 4er models. IF you want a lowered, more sporty suspension... you will have to look at the M Performance catalog, like one that was fitted to the white F32 I posted pics of(but then you loose the adaptive settings, and you get regular shocks). The M Perfomance car rides 10mm lower than the Coupe suspension - and the guys from M say it is the best of both worlds for comfort and sporty driving.
Did they mention how much higher the xdrive models ride than the standard suspension?
Appreciate 0