F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Wind noise- It's the mirrors
proTUNING Freaks

08-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Wind noise- It's the mirrors

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I spent some time yesterday in an X1 which has mirrors very similar if not identical in design to those on the F30. There was a considerable amount of wind buffeting, and it was clearly coming from the mirrors. I just thought I'd share my experience...

X1

F30

The one thing I find interesting about these contemporary BMW mirrors is that they don't include any of the "bumps and channels" that mirrors typically posses to break up the airflow and reduce noise.

This is an E34 side mirror. Note the little "bumps" on the side of the housing. They exist solely to reduce noise. An unfortunate side effect is a very, very small increase in drag. Perhaps this quest for "Efficient Dynamics" went a tad too far.

I'm contemplating testing my theory by affixing some sort of spoilers on my mirrors to see if it has any effect. My noise isn't nearly as bothersome as many have complained, but there is a hint of it for certain. I'm guessing the F30 either has more insulation than the X1 or they did a better job of insulating the point where the mirror is attached to the door frame.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

I wondered the exact same thing because my E36 had dimples on the mirror to reduce wind noise. I might see if I can get something to place on the drivers side mirror, and then if the noise seems to be coming from the passenger side only then its a fair bet you hit on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

I should add that this isn't necessarily a universal thing since many have indicated that they have had whistling noises and other wind noises that were attributed to poorly fitted trim and misaligned doors. I personally haven't had any noises of that sort, just a hint of buffeting that is definitely noise OUTSIDE the car, not air entering the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Bimmerfestool
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Yeah like Bavarian said I've seen threads about wind noise coming to all sorts of conclusions and I think it's fair to say that this is a combination of all.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328 x-drive luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
I spent some time yesterday in an X1 which has mirrors very similar if not identical in design to those on the F30. There was a considerable amount of wind buffeting, and it was clearly coming from the mirrors. I just thought I'd share my experience...

X1

F30

The one thing I find interesting about these contemporary BMW mirrors is that they don't include any of the "bumps and channels" that mirrors typically posses to break up the airflow and reduce noise.

This is an E34 side mirror. Note the little "bumps" on the side of the housing. They exist solely to reduce noise. An unfortunate side effect is a very, very small increase in drag. Perhaps this quest for "Efficient Dynamics" went a tad too far.

I'm contemplating testing my theory by affixing some sort of spoilers on my mirrors to see if it has any effect. My noise isn't nearly as bothersome as many have complained, but there is a hint of it for certain. I'm guessing the F30 either has more insulation than the X1 or they did a better job of insulating the point where the mirror is attached to the door frame.
Please let us know when you've tested this as I'm ready to lose it with the wind noise. My wife will not even drive in the car now, unless it is just around town, under the speed that the wind noise starts to be obtrusive (80 kph). She is constantly pulling up on the window buttons to try to close the windows further. I was away this past weekend and was in a mall where BMW had a display of F30's. I asked one of the people at the display who introduced himself as the product service manager. When I mentioned my wind noise issue, he claims I am the first one he has heard that complaint from. It must be an issue with just my car as no e of the ones they've sold have had any wind noise issues. All the ones he has driven have been extremely quiet........and so on. I mentioned the various forums dedicated to wind noise issues in the F30. He then said if there are many complaints, then it would register in their PUMA database. I mentioned having my front windshield rain gutters replaced already due to a PUMA #, but it did not help my situation. He summed it up by telling me to be persistent with them. I have, but so far, no positive results, so we rely on each other on these forums to try to remedy the situation ourselves, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Coupe xDrive

Yes! I must add. I got a loaner MY14 X1 while my car is in service and also hear the same type of wind noise and I suspect this to be the mirror design as well.

dL
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
lightyear36
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Like I said in the other thread, we will only know whether it's mirrors or not if a bold soul will detach one and make a test.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

See what I've tried here:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...2#post14568232
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightyear36 View Post
Like I said in the other thread, we will only know whether it's mirrors or not if a bold soul will detach one and make a test.
BMW or their dealers should be trying this.......but it appears as though they don't care.
Appreciate 0