F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Canadian European Delivery
Studio RSR

11-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
mlg2ca
mlg2ca
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5.0 GT

Post Canadian European Delivery

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum, and probably more to come. I have decided to move ahead on the purchase of a 335i with M Sport package towards the end of January. I will at the same time check off an item on my Bucket List and take advantage of the European Delivery and make a vacation in Europe as part of it.

I would like to know from any of you living in Canada what was your experience with ED, especially the part preceeding picking up the car: lead time to order the car, once the dealer checks ED, what happens next ? even if the dealer isn't fully experienced with the process, will Munich take charge and be proactive ? when is the date for delivery determined in the process ?

Anyway, any info would be appreciated. I would like to be prepared before walking into the dealership and be ready. I pretty much have the car configuration with options nailed down. One thing that happened recently though: as I was building the car on the BMW Canada web site, it would not let me choose Glacier Silver with the M Sport package. Fortunatelly, the Canadian Ordering guide available on this forum clarified this and confirmed that this colour is in fact available with the M Sport package
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

I'm not sure the process is any different from here in the US. In general, you want to start the process about three months before you'd like to pick the car up in Munich. You place your order and give your dealer 3 desired pick-up dates. After a few weeks you receive confirmation of your pick-up date/time.

From there, your CA must formally submit your ED purchase order at least 4 weeks (I think) in advance of the delivery date including all of your pertinent info and a copy of your passport.

You visit the dealer one last time a week or so prior to delivery to execute the contract/lease.

There's a lot of waiting, but it's a pretty simple process. The trick is to start the process well in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
mlg2ca
mlg2ca
Canada
Rep

That sounds simple enough. I was planning to go see the dealer at the end of January for an early May delivery.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlg2ca View Post
That sounds simple enough. I was planning to go see the dealer at the end of January for an early May delivery.
That should be perfect timing-wise. It'll also give you plenty of time to determine if your dealer is familiar with the process so that you can select a different dealer if need be. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
mlg2ca
mlg2ca
Canada
Rep

Thanks !

The waiting will be atrocious though....
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
BMoutlaW
Team Blop
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-sport

Just got back from my ED I'll be doing a full write up soon so hopefully that will be very helpful to you as you plan your trip. Let me tell you right now Europe is on that next level sh*t hahaha you'll have a crazy time if you just go with the flow, I miss it already.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
CNSYYC
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335X BSM M Sport 6 Spd

European Delivery Experience

Our ED experience was flawless!
I finalized the order of an F30 335 X Drive M Sport in late June and specified a delivery date in Munich of Oct 9th to coincide with vacation plans.
Once the order is accepted by BMW Canada, a production number is issued, and then a few weeks later the production start date will be set. It’s just a matter of keeping in touch with your Sales Rep.
A few weeks in advance of the ED date, you will get an email specifying the delivery time and the check in process at the BMW Welt. Once you check in your day and the entire delivery experience is laid out for you in detail. You will sign the delivery documentation and insurance papers, and then presentation time is confirmed. The drop-off details will be provided at this time as well.
My suggestion is to define your vacation plans as soon as possible, including your arrival date in Munich, then work the ED schedule to that date. We booked our arrival in Munich for the day before the ED date.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
mlg2ca
mlg2ca
Canada
Rep

BMoutlaW,

Looking forward to hear from your experience. I spent two weeks last summer driving in Italy and it was fabulous ! No left lane bandits there... It seems people are more aware of what they are doing.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
mlg2ca
mlg2ca
Canada
Rep

CNSYYC,

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that you can specify a pick up date in Munich from the get go. This makes alot of sense for planning purposes.

How do you like your car with the M Sport package ?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
CNSYYC
Canada
Rep

mlg2ca

There is a bit of travel planning required up front and in advance of finalizing the car order. I would suggest checking flight schedules and fares then picking a couple of delivery dates as soon as and discussing these with your BMW sales rep. You need to allow about 3 months from contract signing to the euro delivery.

Hotels in Munich and in the vicinity of the BMW Welt are fairly busy and tend to be more expensive than North American rates (i.e. CDN$ 275 - 350 / night), so you need to factor this in as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
mlg2ca
mlg2ca
Canada
Rep

Will do. Thanks for the tips.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #12
kevlartoronto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: a4 3.2L avant 6spd

are all the charges the same as if you were buying it in canada? ie you still pay pdi plus freight etc. the only difference is you pick up in europe and you get 2 weeks euro insurance?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNSYYC View Post
Our ED experience was flawless!
I finalized the order of an F30 335 X Drive M Sport in late June and specified a delivery date in Munich of Oct 9th to coincide with vacation plans.
Once the order is accepted by BMW Canada, a production number is issued, and then a few weeks later the production start date will be set. It’s just a matter of keeping in touch with your Sales Rep.
A few weeks in advance of the ED date, you will get an email specifying the delivery time and the check in process at the BMW Welt. Once you check in your day and the entire delivery experience is laid out for you in detail. You will sign the delivery documentation and insurance papers, and then presentation time is confirmed. The drop-off details will be provided at this time as well.
My suggestion is to define your vacation plans as soon as possible, including your arrival date in Munich, then work the ED schedule to that date. We booked our arrival in Munich for the day before the ED date.
so you'd advise waiting until gettin the production number and pickup day first until booking the day in Munich for pickup?

who is going to wait until a couple weeks before the trip to book? that doesnt make sense
      01-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
CNSYYC
Canada
Rep

The point is that there is a build queue. so you need to find out where your order will fit in to the Munich factory build schedule.
I ordered my F30 335 MSport Xdrive at the end of June 2012 and got a build date for the week of Sept. 17th, approximately a 12 week lead time. I was then able to firm up travel plans for arrival in Munich on Oct. 8th and a delivery date of Oct. 9th.
I would not book flights and hotels until the build date was known, as you run the risk not being able to find a reservation notwithstanding the fact that changing reservations is expensive.
Appreciate 0