F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Msport Impression
Studio RSR

11-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
SamGh
The Mechanic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30, 340 MSport

F30 Msport Impression

So I picked up an EB 335 F30, with Msport, Prm, Tech, Driver Assist, Driver Ass plus, HK, Dynamic handling, sport Auto and 19". I adore the car.

In this entire area, there were no Msport with EB and 19", and HK, so I had to give in and get some extra features. NO I did not want to wait!

I had 335 E90 LCI with N54 engine. Here are my biggest first impressions with my new baby: (please excuse any typo or grammar mistakes, I'm being lazy)

"Oh yeah"s:

-Msport: Awesome package. Still love E90 LCI's rear, but the front is a killer on F30 Msport.
-Dynamic Handling is freaking awesome. Car handles beautifully when needed and it is more comfortable than E90.
-Electric steering is AWESOME. I like how I don't have to wrestle with the steering wheel in low speeds. It is super precise too.
-Sound system -- HK. I think it has a better clarity and base than old one.
-Ride: Car is a bit higher than E90 with Sport package, some might not like that and call it "SUV looking". Well, i'm not in high school any more, so I use this car for daily commute, shopping, driving through freaking traffic, etc, I feel the compromise is worth it. I feel comfortable when I'm in chilling mood and enjoy the nice ride. And when you want to step on it, it does not lack any handling characteristics that you could be looking for.
-Wind noise is there, a bit more than E90. need to think if I have to see the dealer
-Top view camera is awesome. Helps with obstacles that are too low to see in parking.
-Seats, I'm a big dude, I feel very comfortable on the driver's seatr, and when I gave ride to a couple people in the back, they appreciated the space.
-Sport 8 speed, AWSOME, shifts fast and serves both the sporty character of the car and the smooth luxury side of it too.
-Engine's sound is awesome. You get more sporty tone out of f30 than e90.
-N55 is very responsive as you would imagine, but I still want N54 back don't hate folks, N54 was better for tunes

"Eh"s:

-Active steering: Didn't have it on the old one... I can live without it. I took the car to canyons and also on freeway, I don't see whole a lot of comfort coming from it
-Lane departure: Only if you are drunk or if you wanna text. But if you leave in Socal, other drivers horns go off before the car's warning
-Blind spot detection: If you adjust your mirrors and do what you are supposed to do, you don't need to get it
-Front collision warning: I don't know about this one. But a couple of times I ram into the car in-front of me and it went off almost last sec, this was when I set the per-warning to early!

Complaints:
-Breaks squealing, guess what ITS THERE!
-Iphone doc cannot be removed!
-Wind noise (Update: This is due to a bigger mirror on the F30. Those coming from E90 might notice this)
-When I open sunroof, I smell burned oil, its going away slowly but i'm monitoring it...

Last edited by SamGh; 12-04-2012 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Interesting read. Glad you seem to be enjoying your new car.

The iPhone dock you mentioned is not really a dock, nor is it supposed to be removed. There's a cradle available that fits into the spot you're calling a dock, that's a "real dock"
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
UhhItsANT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahramghs View Post
So I picked up an EB 335 F30, with Msport, Prm, Tech, Driver Assist, Driver Ass plus, HK, Dynamic handling, sport Auto and 19". I adore the car.

In this entire area, there were no Msport with EB and 19", and HK, so I had to give in and get some extra features. NO I did not want to wait!

I had 335 E90 LCI with N54 engine. Here are my biggest first impressions with my new baby: (please excuse any typo or grammar mistakes, I'm being lazy)

"Oh yeah"s:

-Msport: Awesome package. Still love E90 LCI's rear, but the front is a killer on F30 Msport.
-Dynamic Handling is freaking awesome. Car handles beautifully when needed and it is more comfortable than E90.
-Electric steering is AWESOME. I like how I don't have to wrestle with the steering wheel in low speeds. It is super precise too.
-Ride: Car is a bit higher than E90 with Sport package, some might not like that and call it "SUV looking". Well, i'm not in high school any more, so I use this car for daily commute, shopping, driving through freaking traffic, etc, I feel the compromise is worth it. I feel comfortable when I'm in chilling mood and enjoy the nice ride. And when you want to step on it, it does not lack any handling characteristics that you could be looking for.
-Wind noise is there, a bit more than E90. need to think if I have to see the dealer
-Top view camera is awesome. Helps with obstacles that are too low to see in parking.
-Seats, I'm a big dude, I feel very comfortable on the driver's seatr, and when I gave ride to a couple people in the back, they appreciated the space.
-Sport 8 speed, AWSOME, shifts fast and serves both the sporty character of the car and the smooth luxury side of it too.
-N55 is very responsive as you would imagine, but I still want N54 back don't hate folks, N54 was better for tunes

"Eh"s:

-Active steering: Didn't have it on the old one... I can live without it. I took the car to canyons and also on freeway, I don't see whole a lot of comfort coming from it
-Lane departure: Only if you are drunk or if you wanna text. But if you leave in Socal, other drivers horns go off before the car's warning
-Blind spot detection: If you adjust your mirrors and do what you are supposed to do, you don't need to get it
-Front collision warning: I don't know about this one. But a couple of times I ram into the car in-front of me and it went off almost last sec, this was when I set the per-warning to early!

Complaints:
-Wind noise
-When I open sunroof, I smell burned oil, its going away slowly but i'm monitoring it...
you pretty much got a fully loaded 335i msport. How much was it for you?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
CheeseJaguar
Rep
Drives: 2003 Camry LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntBabeee View Post
you pretty much got a fully loaded 335i msport. How much was it for you?
Configurator says... about the same as a base model M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:

"Oh yeah"s:

"Eh"s:

Complaints:
-Wind noise
Congrats on the new ride.

You have VSS, variable ratio steering.
It's not active like BMW had before.
Basically, you don't feel it on the highway or during twisty's.
The ratio increases are you turn the wheel beyond 100 degrees, then the ratio tightens up. You'll notice it more during slow parking lot maneuvering when making big steering turns/angles. It's supposed to make maneuvering easier.
But since I had nothing to really compare it to, all I notice is that I like the steering and it is easy to move around in parking lots or parking in general.

Others have complained about wind noise. Could be door seal related. Have the dealer check it out. My Msport doesn't have any wind noise that it at all objectionable. But then I tend to drive with the audio blasting out tunes.

I LOVE my N55. It actually feels stronger than my N54 in my 135i, which was no slouch in it's own right.
Paired with the sport AT, the N55 feels very strong and very linear. It just pulls. Put it in sport mode and the extra throttle response makes for a jet afterburner effect. Tunes for the N55 are coming.
There is a very good one for modest cost at burger tuning.

Also, since you have the DH pkg, make sure you play around with the different driver mode settings, and sport configuration. We get some added setting options that non DH 3's don't get.
I use sport mode all the time, every time.
I have mind configured to affect "chassis only". With this setting, throttle response is like comfort mode, trans shifting is also like comfort mode, steering is in sport mode, and suspension is in sport mode.
This gives me a nicely controlled sporty ride, but the trans is butter smooth and shifts shorter and goes to 8th gear even before 55mph.
When I want quicker shifts like to pass, I use manual, then back to D mode.
For all out fun driving with fast shifts, holding gear longer, and better throttle response, sport+ does the trick.
Try it out and find your setting.
Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

No vibration in steering? Your car is missing an important N/C option.

Enjoy your new car. Keep an eye on the road and your surroundings. Cameras are for backup.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

wind noise is bad? I wonder what from...saving weight and sacrificing insulation? Is road noise bad too?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #8
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Wow, that's a pretty loaded car! I thought mine was decked out, however, I'm missing Drivers Assistance Package and Driver Assistance Plus Package compared to yours. That all around camera stuff looked really cool but they didn't have a car with it that was on the boat when I bought mine.

I have never noticed any wind noise. Also, regarding the squeeling breaks I had the same problem. However, after 1,300 miles it's totally gone away. Dunno how or why but it's gone for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #9
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

after owning the N55 for 3 weeks now, N54>N55
      11-21-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
c.cash
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i modern line

"-When I open sunroof, I smell burned oil, its going away slowly but i'm monitoring it..."

I asked about this too and a bunch of people quicky replied it was the Cosmoline (I probably spelled that wrong)... it's a lubricant they slather on parts when they ship it. It'll burn off.

Last edited by c.cash; 11-21-2012 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: I can't spell Cosmoline
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #11
mark.L
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
after owning the N55 for 3 weeks now, N54>N55
Why do you say that?
      11-21-2012, 01:01 AM   #12
SamGh
The Mechanic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.cash View Post
"-When I open sunroof, I smell burned oil, its going away slowly but i'm monitoring it..."

I asked about this too and a bunch of people quicky replied it was the Cosmoline (I probably spelled that wrong)... it's a lubricant they slather on parts when they ship it. It'll burn off.
Great to know, Thanks for the info!
      11-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #13
SamGh
The Mechanic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
No vibration in steering? Your car is missing an important N/C option.

Enjoy your new car. Keep an eye on the road and your surroundings. Cameras are for backup.
No steering is acting pretty well. I get vibration from the lane departure warning
      11-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #14
SamGh
The Mechanic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
Wow, that's a pretty loaded car! I thought mine was decked out, however, I'm missing Drivers Assistance Package and Driver Assistance Plus Package compared to yours. That all around camera stuff looked really cool but they didn't have a car with it that was on the boat when I bought mine.

I have never noticed any wind noise. Also, regarding the squeeling breaks I had the same problem. However, after 1,300 miles it's totally gone away. Dunno how or why but it's gone for sure.
Good to know squealing goes away Wind noise is not that bad. Its more than E90 and I wonder if its because of the aerodynamics of the car, but there are others that are complaining about it. Out of many 335s I test drove I noticed some had more noticeable wind noise.
      11-21-2012, 02:12 AM   #15
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahramghs

"Oh yeah"s:

"Eh"s:

Complaints:
-Wind noise
Now you come to all the bmw cca events and drive the active jumbo performance upgrades and rep the f30s with us. Itll be fun!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #16
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.L View Post
Why do you say that?
i just think the N54 was stronger.
      11-22-2012, 02:51 AM   #17
SamGh
The Mechanic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Now you come to all the bmw cca events and drive the active jumbo performance upgrades and rep the f30s with us. Itll be fun!
Looking forward
      11-22-2012, 02:53 AM   #18
SamGh
The Mechanic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
i just think the N54 was stronger.
N54 had more potential because the twin turbo can compress more air.However, Stock its not as good as N55.

Last edited by SamGh; 11-27-2012 at 01:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #19
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
N55 had more potential because the twin turbo can compress more air.However, Stock its not as good as N55.
Actually that's not true stock vs. stock. The N55 makes peak torque at a lower rpm and it feels a bit torquier off the line. But it also runs out of steam up top moreso than the N54. The N54 engine actually makes about 20hp more up top than the N55 engine, so for straight line acceleration/WOT, the N54 is the faster motor. Numerous dyno tests have backed this up.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 01:32 AM   #20
SamGh
The Mechanic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
Actually that's not true stock vs. stock. The N55 makes peak torque at a lower rpm and it feels a bit torquier off the line. But it also runs out of steam up top moreso than the N54. The N54 engine actually makes about 20hp more up top than the N55 engine, so for straight line acceleration/WOT, the N54 is the faster motor. Numerous dyno tests have backed this up.
I meant N54 had more potential, but I guess you know what I meant. I have not dug into into the dynos really, and I believe you need a serious of testing of multiple cars to be able to make that judgement, but lets say you are right. My judgement is not purely based on the HP/TQ output of the engine. I believe the stock engine is overall a better engine on N55 due to enhancements they made. I.e, fuel efficiency and reduced lag. I have also seen that f30 N55 is underrated by factory and actually puts out ~315 hp...
      12-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #21
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
I meant N54 had more potential, but I guess you know what I meant. I have not dug into into the dynos really, and I believe you need a serious of testing of multiple cars to be able to make that judgement, but lets say you are right. My judgement is not purely based on the HP/TQ output of the engine. I believe the stock engine is overall a better engine on N55 due to enhancements they made. I.e, fuel efficiency and reduced lag. I have also seen that f30 N55 is underrated by factory and actually puts out ~315 hp...
There have been multiple dyno testings of each car, the N54 just makes more horsepower than the N55, period. There are no ifs ands or butts about it. N54 is more underrated if you would from the factory than the N55.

That said, not having to deal with high pressure fuel pump issues and the aforementioned gas mileage gains are a plus from a convenience perspective. Just wish the car pulled harder up top, at least as much so as the N54, which I even felt fell flat on its face up top.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #22
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

I've been told my BMW mechanics to think of the N55 as a cost reduced version of the N54. BMW simplified the design, cut out some of the high end components (i.e. piezo fuel injectors, dual independent turbos) and traded off raw performance for ability to better control fuel consumption.

N55 still uses HPFP, but design has been improved. N54's with latest HPFP should no longer experience high failure rates. My E90 MSport is still on its original fuel pump. The 2010 DME reprogram is said to address this issue.
Appreciate 0