F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > F34 Professional Nav MAP update
GetBMWParts

05-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

F34 Professional Nav MAP update

Currently running "Road Map Europe Next 2013-1"

The dealer told me car is connected and the maps download/update by themselves but I now dont think that was true!

I was looking online but a bit confused, what satnav versions have you got and how have you been updating?

Last edited by x-m4n; 05-19-2014 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

How do you check map version?

I was under the impression you paid for map updates? Or isn't that true?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacabriolet View Post
It was not easy to find, I wasnt actually looking for it but found it while messing in the connecteddrive menus. I have a picture of the screen, just not sure if the other numbers in there are some sort of personal info so not sharing here until I understand this better
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n
Quote:
Originally Posted by aacabriolet View Post
It was not easy to find, I wasnt actually looking for it but found it while messing in the connecteddrive menus
Thanks, all that shows in my ConnectedDrive menu is "hotline", so don't think I have the ConnectedDrive option.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

To check which version is currently installed in the car -
from Main Menu select Navigation.
Then press Options.
Scroll down the display to find Navigation > Version Displayed.

On the loan car I am currently driving (while my beloved F34 328i GT Luxury is being straightened out) it shows -

Europa
BMW Group 101112.2.117
Road Map Europe Next 2013.

However have a look here -

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...tem=node__5238

The SIM card installed in the car itself uses mobile technology to transfer the new map data to the vehicle without any diversion over an external data carrier and manual installation.

The system is regularly updated and this happens several times a year if a new map version is available. The progress of the update is displayed in the Control Display. Installation is convenient and completely autonomous. This system provides the latest map software as a basis for perfect navigation without any delays. During the updating process, all navigation functions are available without any restrictions. No registration is required for automatic updating and users do not have to log on to a portal.

This innovative solution is a constituent element of the Professional navigation system. There are no licence costs for customers and no charges for data transfer.

As you will see it mentions the 'Professional Navigation System'. So, presumably the free updates only apply to this version.
I have the pro nav version on my own car, which I should get back on Thursday, and will check then.
Hope this all helps.
      05-19-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep

Just as a ps to the post above.

I'm pretty sure that the maps in my own car have been updated. A village not far from home has a new by-pass and, until fairly recently, when driving along the by-pass, the satnav map showed me driving well off road ! However, now when I use the by-pass, the new road layout is shown correctly.

I never really gave it a thought until just now reading this thread. So thanks for starting this
      05-20-2014, 05:36 AM   #7
Joyrdr
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F34, 335iX GT M Sport

Garage List
Sooooo, I have this build on my car: Road Map EUROPE Next 2013. I have confirmed (called BMW) that there is a new update to the maps (Build 2014-1). I was told that it would cost around 170-190 Euros (can't remember exactly). I though updates are free but apparently not. If the community here has information in writing that updates are free for X-type of Navigation System, please share if you don't mind. I would greatly appreciate it.

Some background on my car: It is a US Spec BMW with Eurpoe map, I am currently living/working in Germany. I do have the Professional Nav Sys.

Since my car is US Spec, the SIM Card that is installed in the car will not work in Europe, hence not being able to get the update over the air. I would have to go to a BMW Dealership and have them install the update. But seriously, if it would cost me that much for an update and I've only had my car 6 months, no thanks....I will wait a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 05:46 AM   #8
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allachie9 View Post
Nice link allachie9, thanks for sharing - its good to see you noted changes in the map but the version I have is slightly different than your loan car:

Europa
BMW Group
Road Map EUROPE Next 2013-1

If the update comes over the air, it would take a long long long time for all that to download via 3G connection... I wonder if there is any way to force this update to drop.

Last edited by x-m4n; 05-20-2014 at 05:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #9
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep

The only 'DIY' update method I can find is here-

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...gion=&country=

but this appears to be just for updating Bluetooth connectivity for new phones etc.

I get my car back on Thursday and will check the map version then. I take your point about the time the download would take, but I honestly never noticed when mine was updated. I was just aware, sometime later, that it had been.
      05-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyrdr View Post
Sooooo, I have this build on my car: Road Map EUROPE Next 2013. I have confirmed (called BMW) that there is a new update to the maps (Build 2014-1). I was told that it would cost around 170-190 Euros (can't remember exactly). I though updates are free but apparently not. If the community here has information in writing that updates are free for X-type of Navigation System, please share if you don't mind. I would greatly appreciate it.

Some background on my car: It is a US Spec BMW with Eurpoe map, I am currently living/working in Germany. I do have the Professional Nav Sys.

Since my car is US Spec, the SIM Card that is installed in the car will not work in Europe, hence not being able to get the update over the air. I would have to go to a BMW Dealership and have them install the update. But seriously, if it would cost me that much for an update and I've only had my car 6 months, no thanks....I will wait a bit.
Joyrdr, I've no idea whether the complication of your car being US spec and the SIM not working in Europe has any bearing on the matter, but the link I gave yesterday -

definitely shows updates are free for the Pro Nav System. All I would suggest is going to a dealer, show him the link and ask him to update your system FOC.
It can't do any harm to ask.
Good luck.
      05-21-2014, 02:44 AM   #11
Joyrdr
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F34, 335iX GT M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Joyrdr, I've no idea whether the complication of your car being US spec and the SIM not working in Europe has any bearing on the matter, but the link I gave yesterday -

definitely shows updates are free for the Pro Nav System. All I would suggest is going to a dealer, show him the link and ask him to update your system FOC.
It can't do any harm to ask.
Good luck.
Thanks Allan,

Sooooo, just spoke to BMW Connected Drive Help desk in Germany, long story short:

1. Press release is not entirely correct. THIS UPDATE IS NOT FOR FREE, even with a Professional Navigation System. There will be a charge

2. "OTA" update is apparently for future versions of the Professional Navigation System that is to come out in the fall sometime.

This is what I was told.

So if anyone has received an OTA update for the latest map update for free and you have a Professional Navigation System, please chime in and let me know....just wondering about all of this.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #12
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep

I got my 328i GT back from the bodyshop today and it's just perfect

As promised earlier, I've checked the version in my car, and the details come up as follows :-

Europa
BMW Group
Road Map EUROPE Next 2013-2

Hope this helps.
      06-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #13
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

for those looking to update in some point, fellow member Dracon was very helpful providing links to the files and code for the f34. have now loaded the very latest Europe Next 2014-2 maps

Send him an email for details and pricing dracon@gmail.com

Last edited by x-m4n; 07-04-2014 at 05:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #14
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
for those looking to update in some point, fellow member Dracon was very helpful providing links to the files and code for the f34. have now loaded the very latest Europe Next 2014-2 maps

Send him an email for details dracon@gmail.com
Are the new maps very different ? and was the update easy to do ?
Thanks.
      06-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #15
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Are the new maps very different ? and was the update easy to do ?
Thanks.
Cant comment on differences, just happy to run the latest available. If you let me know some specific address, I can take a picture and share it here.

The update was easy, yes -for full instructions and pricing, drop Dracon an email

Last edited by x-m4n; 07-04-2014 at 05:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #16
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
Cant comment on differences, just happy to run the latest available. If you let me know some specific address, I can take a picture and share it here.

The update was easy, yes -for full instructions, drop Dracon an email
Maybe the update was easy . . . . . . .bbbbbut . . . . . . . he wants $50 !

No thanks, I'll wait until BMW update it for free.
      06-28-2014, 09:18 AM   #17
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Maybe the update was easy . . . . . . .bbbbbut . . . . . . . he wants $50 !

No thanks, I'll wait until BMW update it for free.
The press release you linked to seems to indicate beginning July 2014 production, these map updating features will become available in Europe and possibly other regions (very likely not US/Canada anytime soon). They talk about real time fuel prices, etc...

I'm not convinced they are planning to upgrade a 30GB map database OTA.
      06-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #18
markbridge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW; 2017 M-B SL450

When I picked up my GT in mid May I was told the nav updates were done automatically wirelessly, and free.

Now, it's possible the tech didn't have his facts straight. Time will tell, though.

Last edited by markbridge; 07-03-2014 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #19
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbridge View Post
When I picked up my GT in mid May I was told the nag updates were done automatically wirelessly, and free.

Now, it's possible the tech didn't have his facts straight. Time will tell, though.
Thanks Mark, that is also my understanding. I'm in email correspondence with the Connected Drive experts at the moment and will post the outcome here. As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, I'm pretty sure I've already had at least one update.
      07-03-2014, 03:30 AM   #20
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm in email correspondence with the Connected Drive experts at the moment and will post the outcome here.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 05:29 AM   #21
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
...bbbbbut...he wants $50!
Not free I know but cheaper than through the dealer

Lets see how things develop and trust you will keep an eye - OTA updates would be awesome
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #22
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep

Well . . .here's the reply from BMW ConnectedDrive -

Dear Mr xxxxxxxx

Thank you for your email dated July 1, 2014. Please accept my response on behalf of my colleague Mr Green and for the delay in responding.
Having checked the link you have kindly provided, I can confirm that this is something that is still in development for the UK and we hope to see it released in 2015.

I trust that this information is of assistance, however, please be assured of my continued attention should you require it again.
Yours sincerely
BMW UK

Diane Lee
BMW ConnectedDrive Executive
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA
Tel: +44 (0)800 561 0555

So there we have it . . . or have we ?
I'm still certain that my maps were updated at some time.