F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > 340 or 440GC
proTUNING Freaks

10-28-2016, 03:02 PM   #45
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyakuhei View Post
I drove a 340i with adaptive suspension and a 440i with M-Sport. To be honest I found the 440 just a bit crashy by comparison. When pushing hard on corners with bumps I felt less sure footed in the 440.

I realise this might be more a comparison of suspension that car but that was my experience driving the two back to back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-NYC View Post
I'm not sure what crashy is but I had the same experience, adaptive 340 vs 440 m-sport (which is just a trim) and the 340 felt like it was almost leaning into corners. I think the adaptive suspension is the big difference there and that a standard 4 series is configured more toward a luxury/comfort feel.
You guys are comparing apples to oranges - different chassis and suspension? Come on. This is how misinformation starts. I've driven both with adaptive M suspension and the 440 definitely feels more planted. Even BMW has stated that the 4 is designed to be more sporty than the 3.
      10-28-2016, 05:09 PM   #46
Speed-NYC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440ix Gran Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versipellis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyakuhei View Post
I drove a 340i with adaptive suspension and a 440i with M-Sport. To be honest I found the 440 just a bit crashy by comparison. When pushing hard on corners with bumps I felt less sure footed in the 440.

I realise this might be more a comparison of suspension that car but that was my experience driving the two back to back.
Quote:
I'm not sure what crashy is but I had the same experience, adaptive 340 vs 440 m-sport (which is just a trim) and the 340 felt like it was almost leaning into corners. I think the adaptive suspension is the big difference there and that a standard 4 series is configured more toward a luxury/comfort feel.
You guys are comparing apples to oranges - different chassis and suspension? Come on. This is how misinformation starts. I've driven both with adaptive M suspension and the 440 definitely feels more planted. Even BMW has stated that the 4 is designed to be more sporty than the 3.
I believe thats exactly what we were saying, that it was an apples to oranges test and therefore meaningless. Im glad to hear you did a fair comparison and found the 4 better.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 05:33 PM   #47
TractionControlOff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i Dinan Exhaust

Does this mean that the 340 is more of a comfortable/soft ride? So for handling purists go with the 440, but for those who care more about 0-60 and ride comfort go with the 340??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versipellis View Post
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 09:19 PM   #48
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Quote:
I drove one last week and no burbles in sport mode.
I guarantee there's tons of burbles in sport.

I was in the same boat but it was 340i vs 435i GC. It was no brainer and went for the B58.
Initially I thought about 4GC being less a common car but in reality I see more EBII 4GC than EBII 340 Msport in my area.

The 4GC is a little lower, wider but heavier. I'm not sure how much it translates to regular driving to worth the extra premium.
I actually like the look of F30 Msport better than F36 Msport and the roomier back seat.

I do like the GC hatch trunk. It seems more practical.
Average Joes won't be able to tell the difference between the 2 once I debadged.

Last edited by hollandog; 03-24-2017 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 11:07 PM   #49
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionControlOff View Post
Does this mean that the 340 is more of a comfortable/soft ride? So for handling purists go with the 440, but for those who care more about 0-60 and ride comfort go with the 340??
Pretty much. The average joe won't be able to tell the difference in handling between the two anyways, much less ever be in a situation where they'd feel it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandog View Post
I guarantee there's tons of burbles in sport.

I was in the same boat but it was 340i vs 435i GC. It was no brainer and went for the B58.
Initially I thought about 4GC being less a common car but in reality I see more EBII 4GC than EBII 340 Msport in my area.

The 4GC is a little lower, wider but heavier. I'm not sure how much it translates to regular driving to worth the extra premium.
I actually like the look of F30 Msport better than F36 Msport and the roomier back seat.

I do like the GC hatch trunk. It seems more practical.
Average Joes won't be able to tell the difference between the 2 once I debadged.
Handles much better. I've autocrossed both side by side. A noticeably less side sway on slaloms, and feels much more planted when going around corners.