F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > The All-New M328i ... Wait WHATT!??
Extreme Powerhouse

03-04-2014, 06:44 AM   #23
marseille82
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post

BMW badges M-Sport cars themselves outside of the US. When I order my Gran Coupe I'm asking them to be left on.

Get over yourselves.
I'm with you there. People take that whole M thing too seriously.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 07:09 AM   #24
ipp
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2016 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marseille82 View Post
I'm with you there. People take that whole M thing too seriously.
But it IS serious. And pretty simple; if it comes from the factory that way, it's ok. Don't stick any more M-emblems on by yourself. Then you are fine...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #25
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebang View Post
it's true, they won't know the difference. They don't care what engine is in the car, or what packages. They only care about the nameplate, and as long as it has the letters BMW or 2 of the 3, that's all that matters.
Like many on here. What do you guys have to say to/about the M3 guys that debadges? This thread is a joke. Do you give a guy shit for custom exhaust with black tips for being a poseur? 20 posts because some guys likes M badges. The only people in the world that would know or care are on here. Get over yourselves. THIS is what give BMW drivers that arrogant rep.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #26
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
Like many on here. What do you guys have to say to/about the M3 guys that debadges? This thread is a joke. Do you give a guy shit for custom exhaust with black tips for being a poseur? 20 posts because some guys likes M badges. The only people in the world that would know or care are on here. Get over yourselves. THIS is what give BMW drivers that arrogant rep.
+1

We are all poseurs, folks. We deliberately pay $15,000 more for a car for the badge and the prestige. So, what, you're upset because some of us are Poseurs-Plus or something? You're allowed to drive around in a $50,000 version of a Camry in other people's faces and that's okay but stick another chrome "M" on an M-Sport that already has 12 of them all over the place and that's a crime against decency?

This notion that BMW drivers are supposed to be 'normal people' just has to stop. By simply buying a BMW, you lose all rights to acting like a commoner. Stop fighting the stereotype. You are the stereotype.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:20 AM   #27
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelondon View Post
In 3 years I'm buying an M4 and replacing the rear badge with 428i
Didn't one member a while ago with an E60 M5 remove all its M5 badges and replaced '520d' with millimetric precision?

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #28
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:

This notion that BMW drivers are supposed to be 'normal people' just has to stop. By simply buying a BMW, you lose all rights to acting like a commoner. Stop fighting the stereotype. You are the stereotype.
This makes no sense at all.

I bought a couple pounds of filet mignon the other day at the grocery store, which is about a solid 100% more expensive per pound than other types of steak. Does this mean I can't act "like a commoner"? Whatever that means. How does a "commoner" act vs. how you think BMW owners should act according to your self inflated sense of importance?

Humility is something that doesn't need to go away once you buy something "nice".
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #29
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

^ I think he was joking about the commoner part.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #30
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
^ I think he was joking about the commoner part.
It's Tuesday morning, that was my one allotted "too stupid to comprehend" moment.

Because of that, I won't bother changing the original post as a reminder of how stupid and useless I am before I drink my obligatory cup of coffee in the AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #31
ipp
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2016 M135i

Quote:
+1

We are all poseurs, folks. We deliberately pay $15,000 more for a car for the badge and the prestige. So, what, you're upset because some of us are Poseurs-Plus or something? You're allowed to drive around in a $50,000 version of a Camry in other people's faces and that's okay but stick another chrome "M" on an M-Sport that already has 12 of them all over the place and that's a crime against decency?

You are talking for your self here, but I understand why you think it's ok to put badges on things to make them seem better. I would be very happy if there was a brand without the aura and prestige BMW have, but still building as good normal rwd cars, but there isn't. I really don't care about the prestige, actually for me I think it's embarrassing to have a "too cool" car. I'm buying BMW for the engineering, nothing else, otherwise I could have bought a Ford Mondeo.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #32
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
This makes no sense at all.

I bought a couple pounds of filet mignon the other day at the grocery store, which is about a solid 100% more expensive per pound than other types of steak. Does this mean I can't act "like a commoner"? Whatever that means. How does a "commoner" act vs. how you think BMW owners should act according to your self inflated sense of importance?

Humility is something that doesn't need to go away once you buy something "nice".
The point is that anyone driving a $45,000 BMW is "affected" and "spoiled" and "rich" and a "poseur" and all the other nasty terms you don't wish to be thought of.

The theory goes that you don't like someone who adds an "M" badge to an M-Sport because that person is a "show off" or someone who likes to "embellish" a bit or someone who "needs attention". That's the micro view.

The fact goes that the moment you bought a BMW you became exactly that, just on a macro scale. By purchasing an expensive luxury car from an expensive luxury brand, you are the type of person that needs attention, likes to show off, likes to embellish a bit. So criticizing Mr. Badge while walking around as Mr. Rich is very silly. It's the pot calling the kettle a little blacker than he is.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #33
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipp View Post
You are talking for your self here, but I understand why you think it's ok to put badges on things to make them seem better. I would be very happy if there was a brand without the aura and prestige BMW have, but still building as good normal rwd cars, but there isn't. I really don't care about the prestige, actually for me I think it's embarrassing to have a "too cool" car. I'm buying BMW for the engineering, nothing else, otherwise I could have bought a Ford Mondeo.
Sorry, but the RWD excuse doesn't fly anymore. That way of rationalizing how a "normal" person into "performance" buys a $50,000 luxury car from a luxury brand for it's "non luxury bits" is over. You bought the car for the badge, not the performance.

It's not 1985 anymore and the F30 isn't the E36 anymore. You're driving a rich-man's luxury car. Don't fight the stereotype. There is no point. Commoners realize this, the wealthy realize this, your friends realize this. The energy spent on Enthusiast Denial simply isn't warranted in 2014.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #34
jkoertge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M Sport w/PerfExhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromix
I don't get why people do this, it looks so bad... Atleast the car is an MSport ;\

Pst. Duh. Horsepower.

I thought it was common knowledge that badges and stickers added cheap horsepower.
      03-05-2014, 01:18 AM   #35
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
At least it's not as bad as the " ///M B7 " I saw in Miami last month ... funny part was, it wasn't a B7 let alone an M car lol
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #36
13beamer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelondon View Post
It's obvious why some people do this. They don't own an M car, so they try to make their car appear as close to their dream car as possible. It's honestly not a big deal and while I personally don't like adding M emblems on a non M car, I also don't think we should judge others. It's their car, they worked for it, paid for it, and they should be able to illustrate it how they like, even if it doesn't appeal to others.

I find it interesting how some of the more expensive rides opt to de-badge their rides and appear more inconspicuous while some of the cheaper rides do the opposite and try to make their rides stand out more. Sometimes the law of 'opposites attract' even applies to the car world.

I agree. If its an M Sport Model and he wants to add M badges, then so be it. I probably wouldn't have placed the badge there as it looks sort of cluttered to me, but its his or her's car and they can do with it what they want.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #37
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
so much wasted bandwidth
Appreciate 0