F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW 335i vs Jaguar XE S!
Studio RSR

07-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #1
E60MKF
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 MY2013

BMW 335i vs Jaguar XE S!

Sorry if this is a re-post!

2015 BMW 335i M Sport vs. 2016 Jaguar XE S! - Head 2 Head Ep. 67
BMW F30 MY2014 2014-2015
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 02:49 PM   #2
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430 F1

Ouch. That said I only watched the last three minutes but it would be interesting to put the XE up against the new 340i and its fettled chassis and suspension.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Interesting but no great surprise. I doubt the LCI will change a lot. BMW has been outclassed by a company that genuinely care about chassis tuning on challenging roads. Roll on the V8.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 03:17 PM   #4
ep22jg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Looks good!!
Will have to have a look! Possible down sides for me, it's tighter in the rear seats and the boot is smaller than the 3 series, both are already tight in my 3. Sad but the reason I have a 3 and not a 4 or something more focused!!

Also, not sure of the touch screen sat nav .... really do like the Prof Nav

As mentioned in a previous post, an M340 would be a better comparison if there was one
      07-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
deeno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 330d Xdrive M SPORT

Its a shame they took a non adaptive BMW and put it against a Jag that had that feature. The Jag's starting price is 44k which is about 5k more than a 340i.

Then factor in the much bigger discounts on the F30 and the difference is probably closer to 9k. From a broker, retail and then discounted prices...

340i M Sport 4dr Step Auto £39,505.00, £32,015.05
3.0 V6 Supercharged S 4dr Auto £44,865.01, £40,922.56

The Jag is the slightly better car I feel but its certainly not worth that kind of premium.

I do agree with his complaints regarding the F30 suspension though. Having to go down the ACS route was a little annoying on a new car.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeno
Its a shame they took a non adaptive BMW and put it against a Jag that had that feature. The Jag's starting price is 44k which is about 5k more than a 340i.

Then factor in the much bigger discounts on the F30 and the difference is probably closer to 9k. From a broker, retail and then discounted prices...

340i M Sport 4dr Step Auto £39,505.00, £32,015.05
3.0 V6 Supercharged S 4dr Auto £44,865.01, £40,922.56

The Jag is the slightly better car I feel but its certainly not worth that kind of premium.

I do agree with his complaints regarding the F30 suspension though. Having to go down the ACS route was a little annoying on a new car.
I agree with you on three important things.

I thought BMW was bad with options but bloody hell a Jag take it to another level and it doesn't take much to load on another £10k.

Secondly I love pro nav and having seen new JLR system, sorry but it good enough for my daily transport.

However I applaud fact the cars have a stunning setup out of the box. Bodes well for next 3 series as Jag will give them a bloody nose from now onwards.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #7
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

As already said, one had adaptive and the other didn't, game over. The adaptive on the 3 makes so much difference to the refinement. I've just been out in mine and even in comfort you can throw it around whilst still retaining a high level of comfort. Some smaller low speed bumps do catch it out but on the whole it's very impressive IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 03:42 PM   #8
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

This was covered pretty well on the main forum.

As mentioned, great to see a manufacturer doing stuff with suspension and modern driving.

Yes the ride maybe a little closer with 340i with adaptive, however it would still get caned.

Discounts are great with the F30, 20% to 28% achievable.

However, residuals are going to (or are) terrible.

The Jaguar will likely hold its price better.

Also, how many iterations has the 3 Series been through, tweaks, LCI's, updates etc AND it gets beaten by a car in its first release.

An Indian owned company hands the Germans their ass on a plate.

Also a supercharged engine just sounds and feels so much better than a turbo..

However, this type of competition is the best thing for us the customer.

Now let's see if the G30 hammers the Jaguar next time round
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #9
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand
This was covered pretty well on the main forum.

As mentioned, great to see a manufacturer doing stuff with suspension and modern driving.

Yes the ride maybe a little closer with 340i with adaptive, however it would still get caned.

Discounts are great with the F30, 20% to 28% achievable.

However, residuals are going to (or are) terrible.

The Jaguar will likely hold its price better.

Also, how many iterations has the 3 Series been through, tweaks, LCI's, updates etc AND it gets beaten by a car in its first release.

An Indian owned company hands the Germans their ass on a plate.

Also a supercharged engine just sounds and feels so much better than a turbo..

However, this type of competition is the best thing for us the customer.

Now let's see if the G30 hammers the Jaguar next time round
Bang on - couldn't have said it better. Adaptive wouldn't have saved it at all - BMW damping is lousy I'm afraid in comparison to a nicely polished product (which the XE is).

But it is good news as will push BMW and hopefully give them a kick round the head to get back to the important things.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #10
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

Just a question to those who praise about the XE suspension over the 3, I assume they have driven one? I know it's not the XE but my 2014 XF had adaptive dampers and didn't do as good a job as the F31 with adaptive. The XF was on 19" rubber compared to the BMW on 19" run flats. However a passively sprung XF was not far behind an adaptive XF and was IMO a very impressive compromise. I may go and get a test drive in an XE to see how good they are but will leave my wallet at home just in case!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 05:35 PM   #11
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

BMW have a chance to sort this with the 3 series LCI. Wonder if it really will look like this (low E9x style) with flatter, sportier handling?

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1055829

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 01:25 AM   #12
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k44ENT
Just a question to those who praise about the XE suspension over the 3, I assume they have driven one? I know it's not the XE but my 2014 XF had adaptive dampers and didn't do as good a job as the F31 with adaptive. The XF was on 19" rubber compared to the BMW on 19" run flats. However a passively sprung XF was not far behind an adaptive XF and was IMO a very impressive compromise. I may go and get a test drive in an XE to see how good they are but will leave my wallet at home just in case!
I only have limited views on XF's as usually get them from Harwoods as loan cars but the ones I drove I thought were far better sorted pushing on than my original F30.

Have driven the XE as was invited by Harwood to try it and had meeting down road (also got invited to Goodwood this weekend).

It's not perfect but it is very good indeed. Still don't like the infotainment but what very limited use I had, it's eons better than the old one!

I can see a lot of people being interested. How Jag decide to play the selling game, time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 01:42 AM   #13
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
I only have limited views on XF's as usually get them from Harwoods as loan cars but the ones I drove I thought were far better sorted pushing on than my original F30.

Have driven the XE as was invited by Harwood to try it and had meeting down road (also got invited to Goodwood this weekend).

It's not perfect but it is very good indeed. Still don't like the infotainment but what very limited use I had, it's eons better than the old one!

I can see a lot of people being interested. How Jag decide to play the selling game, time will tell.

That is the key thing, exactly what strategy they take with selling to the public.

That and Jaguar having a serious talk to some of its dealerships, Stratstone being at top of the list.

That will really kill sales if say 'john pops in to local dealers and wants to use his car allowance on a new XE, however John is 26, wearing jeans and T Shirt'......

'Oh and he only goes and says, can he have a test drive'

Ambulance required for dealership 'Andrew in sales has had a heart attack'
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 02:58 AM   #14
evan15281
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d

Until someone comes up with a better system than iDrive Professional Nav, I cannot see myself having another brand of car other than BMW.

It is the most heavily used part of my car and fantastic. Do any others even come close at the moment? Hated the COMAND in the Merc E Class I had as a courtesy car for a while.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 03:08 AM   #15
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan15281 View Post
Until someone comes up with a better system than iDrive Professional Nav, I cannot see myself having another brand of car other than BMW.

It is the most heavily used part of my car and fantastic. Do any others even come close at the moment? Hated the COMAND in the Merc E Class I had as a courtesy car for a while.
And there lies the problem for me also. Also use BMW Online a lot to call up for directions & advice on local hotels/restaraunts/shops and they are just brilliant. I can imagine people go through owning the car and never using this once and they are mad.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 03:37 AM   #16
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
And there lies the problem for me also. Also use BMW Online a lot to call up for directions & advice on local hotels/restaraunts/shops and they are just brilliant. I can imagine people go through owning the car and never using this once and they are mad.
The conceirge service is brilliant and a God send at times.

Had to use it at weekend, to humourous results, will put an OT thread up on it later lol.

BMW IDrive is by miles best for what it does.

Touch screens are at best annoying, at worst dangerous.

The one area where BMW are well ahead is in systems integration, Sat Nav, 8AT, Auto Cruise Control, adaptive lighting, all these are integrating really well and I guess will just get better.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 07:30 AM   #17
Apl440i or 335d?
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

Even after watching this, I still prefer the F30.

It just looks a better package.

I am not a fan of the look of the Jag, it looks dated and soft.

The BMW still looks fresh on the outside to my eyes. Just a shame about the interior.