F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Installed donor vehicle's NBT but no sound
Extreme Powerhouse

11-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Installed donor vehicle's NBT but no sound

So I got my NBT head unit, CAN-Filter, 8.8" CID today and my friend was able to help me swap this out for my current CIC head unit.

So far, I am able to access most of the menus, and the following features are working:

PDC
Navigation (With CAN-Filter but it is currently on EU maps)
Sports Display
Driving Mode indicators

My main concern right now is that the sound is not working at all. My F30 originally came with Hi-Fi SA676 and it does not seem to be getting any output at all. The head unit came from a 2013 F31 German Spec but I'm not sure if this even makes a difference.

Another problem is that when I try to VO code HU_NBT, it will not take anything from my VO, the default language will stay German, radio frequencies are still European and my PDC and Driving mode diagrams still show a image of an F31 and not a F30.

I've removed 6VA from my VO and still no avail. Disconnected the combox and still no sound.

Does anyone have any idea how I can at least get sound to work? Right now, there is no communication between my KOMBI and HU_NBT and the trip computer does not record any data.

I realize that the AUX, Bluetooth Antenna and USB all currently go into the combox but I should be at the very least be able to hear sound without plugging all those in.

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 11-30-2013 at 12:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Ok, I changed the build date on the VO from 07/12 to 11/12 and now it took all the changes on my VO and applied it to the head unit. The default language is now English, the PDC shows a F30 and not a F31 and the radio frequencies are correct.

There's still no sound and no communication with the KOMBI. I tried VO coding KOMBI with the same build date and it would not take it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

I give you the props for having the nuts to do this to your car... take pics, a writeup would be nice when you figure it out!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
I give you the props for having the nuts to do this to your car... take pics, a writeup would be nice when you figure it out!
too bad he didnt do the install by himself...
he was sitting at work while i was doing all the work on his car!

i grabbed a couple of shots but i will get a full write-up done when we figure out how to get the sound working.

we also have to work on patching the cables that go to the combox back into the NBT unit so that USB, aux and bluetooth work.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
we also have to work on patching the cables that go to the combox back into the NBT unit so that USB, aux and bluetooth work.
You mean you don't want to re-run the miles of wire in the car? Sounds like an easy job

That's sarcasm by the way... the internet doesn't do a good job of showing that
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

Quote:
You mean you don't want to re-run the miles of wire in the car? Sounds like an easy job

That's sarcasm by the way... the internet doesn't do a good job of showing that
right now the aux input, usb and blue tooth mic is hooked up to the combox. but since nbt has a built in combox, we got to run those wire back into the back of NBT so it will work
otherwise its just a navigation unit with cd radio and sat capabilities lol
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungming View Post
you can change the F31 to F30 in the HU_NBT FDL

you need to change the kombi to kombi_low in HU_NBT FDL to sync the time and date
I ended up changing the build date on my VO to 11/12 and now the HU_NBT has my car's specs on it as opposed to what was on the F31. Before, all the menus were in German and my PDC showed a F31 but now it's all correct. The weird part is though, when I FDL code something, it will change everything back to German which is totally strange.

I guess I can try kombi_low and see what happens. It wouldn't let me VO code my KOMBI with the later build date since I think my I-step isn't new enough. I have 6WA (Instrument Cluster Expanded Equipment) so I'm not sure if this will apply.

I have a feeling that I need to get my car reprogrammed at the dealer to 50.4 or greater to get most of this working.

As for the sound, we still can't seem to figure out what the problem is. I re-connected my CIC and it's working fine there.

1lyfe is going to try and install the NBT unit into his 2013 F30 that has a higher I-step than mine and without the factory CIC to see if anything's different.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #8
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
from the VIN you gave me, your car already have a NBT installed!

did you change to another NBT?
I gave you the correct VIN and it's for a 2012 F30 328i so there's absolutely no way that I would have NBT from the factory.

Did you type it in wrong by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 02:47 AM   #9
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Made some progress after playing around with the coding. Now the trip computer, service menu and vehicle info screens all work flawlessly as if it was from factory. Previously, I also had no communication with KOMBI and now the scroll wheel works fine and the time is fully synchronized.

I honestly did not expect the check control and the service required me to even work but they're all showing up perfectly with my vehicle's data. Efficient dynamics is also working without any problems.

Still not having much luck with the sound though
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 02:49 AM   #10
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
The mobile app won't let me upload several photos at a time.... Arg
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 02:51 AM   #11
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Service intervals
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 02:53 AM   #12
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Kombi fully communicates now; and no, those are not my songs. They belong to the previous owner of the head unit!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #13
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
in your VIN that you gave me I saw there was already a 609 there!
609 Option code by itself means nothing, as it is only the Option Code for Navigation Professional, and that can be either CIC or NBT Head Unit just the same.

The best indication of which head unit came from the factory is the presence of a standalone Combox:

609 Navigation Professional + 6VC Combox = CIC Head Unit (stand alone Combox)
609 Navigation Professional Only = NBT Head Unit (Combox integrated into the Head Unit)

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Another question, can you try to use your steering controller to adjust the volume?

or the communication from the climate controller with volume controller is not connected properly?
Climate control is just one wire on the baseplate and it all works fine.

I think this NBT is on idrive 4.2 because before I VO coded it, I saw a volume bar on the screen when I adjust the volume with the buttons on the steering wheel and there was also a touchpad menu. After I VO coded it with the 1112 build date, those were gone.

Shawn, if I give you the name of the CAFD file on HU_NBT, would you be able to tell what it was flashed with and the max build date I can VO code it with?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Before I VO coded the car, I actually had a volume bar in the screen when I use the steering wheel to adjust the volume. Climate control is just one wire on the baseplate and it all works fine.

I think this NBT is on idrive 4.2 because before I VO coded it, I saw a volume bar on the screen when I adjust the volume with the buttons on the steering wheel and there was also a touchpad menu. After I VO coded it with the 1112 build date, those were gone.

Shawn, if I give you the name of the CAFD file on HU_NBT, would you be able to tell what it was flashed with and the max build date I can VO code it with?
Not really. Highlight NBT in SVT, click on Detect CAF for SWE, and you will see what CAFD's are associated with what I-Levels.

As for Max build date, I would use 0713, which is the beginning of iDrive 4.2.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Not really. Highlight NBT in SVT, click on Detect CAF for SWE, and you will see what CAFD's are associated with what I-Levels.

As for Max build date, I would use 0713, which is the beginning of iDrive 4.2.
Thanks. I'll check that out.

Here's something else that's strange. When I first connected the NBT to my car, it had the original vehicle's bluetooth name BMW6XXXX. Last night, I noticed that my iPhone 5 was already paired and when I went back to check the bluetooth name, it had the one from my original head unit BMW43XXX.

The only thing I did different this time was reconnect the combox in the back. When I go to the external devices menu, Bluetooth Audio also works. I wonder it is getting the data from my combox or from the NBT.

Looks like if I can get sound to work, at the very least I will have Bluetooth Audio streaming.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #17
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Thanks. I'll check that out.

Here's something else that's strange. When I first connected the NBT to my car, it had the original vehicle's bluetooth name BMW6XXXX. Last night, I noticed that my iPhone 5 was already paired and when I went back to check the bluetooth name, it had the one from my original head unit BMW43XXX.

The only thing I did different this time was reconnect the combox in the back. When I go to the external devices menu, Bluetooth Audio also works. I wonder it is getting the data from my combox or from the NBT.

Looks like if I can get sound to work, at the very least I will have Bluetooth Audio streaming.
The old Combox needs to me disconnected, the Fiber Loop terminated, and the Aux, USB, Microphone, and Bluetooth connections moved to NBT.

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #18
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
The old Combox needs to me disconnected, the Fiber Loop terminated, and the Aux, USB, Microphone, and Bluetooth connections moved to NBT.
I know it's evitable that I have to run those cables to the NBT but it's interesting how it actually communicated with my combox.

This morning when I started the car, my iPhone 5 was not paired and when I went back into the Bluetooth menu, the Bluetooth name was back to the one from its previous vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #19
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Since your car is already undergoing surgery, is there a chance you could tell me how the USB connector in the center console is connected? Is it a bundle of wires, or is it connected with just a USB cable?

Wire #1 (pn #61119322445). I tried googling that part number but I can't get a picture of it.

Thinking of a retrofit of one of these from a Tahoe/Yukon into the front center cigarette socket. The replacement socket just has a female USB in the back of it. In the Tahoe/Yukon the original cigarette plug just pops out and this is a perfect fit replacement.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #20
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Since your car is already undergoing surgery, is there a chance you could tell me how the USB connector in the center console is connected? Is it a bundle of wires, or is it connected with just a USB cable?

Wire #1 (pn #61119322445). I tried googling that part number but I can't get a picture of it.

Thinking of a retrofit of one of these from a Tahoe/Yukon into the front center cigarette socket. The replacement socket just has a female USB in the back of it. In the Tahoe/Yukon the original cigarette plug just pops out and this is a perfect fit replacement.
The armrest USB I believe is part of the batch of cables that goes into the head unit. There's another beige HSD cable that goes into the CIC and I believe that one is for the USB arm rest.

I only know that because today, I reinstalled my CIC due to the audio problem with the NBT and I didn't plug the beige HSD cable back into the CIC but my armrest USB was still working.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #21
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Ok so 1lyfe installed the NBT to his F30 that did not come with 609 and 676 and the sound works there no problem. He's going to try and re-wire my amp to the fuse and see if that solves the issue. We're still not sure if the pinouts on the NBT need to change though.

Shawn, looks like we didn't take down the VIN of the NBT before we VO coded it. The SVT shows my vehicle's short VIN when I read the coding data from HU_NBT. We need to extract the original vehicle's VIN from it so we can purchase the appropriate FSC code for the maps. You mentioned something about extracting a DE file, would you be able to outline the steps on how to do that?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #22
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
A picture is worth 1000 words:

Name:  E-Sys - Extract DE FSC Code.png
Views: 9997
Size:  44.5 KB

Save and Name the File.

The FSC Output file will be already Base 64 Decoded.

If you need help with the Map Update FSC Code, send me a PM. I have a good source.

Appreciate 1