F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > need new tires/wheels
proTUNING Freaks

08-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
3_dirty_5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: NA

need new tires/wheels

i have a 2012 335i sports line and its time to get new front tires due to impact bubbles and a new wheel because it has been bent(previous driver damages :/)
i have been to the BMW dealership and they are charging me a lot!! so i decided i was just going to buy the tires and wheel and do it myself, with the help of my mechanic friend. but i have come across two questions.

1. should i buy 2 new run flat tires OR 4 new conventional tires? all the places i have been to tell me everyone chooses conventional tires after the runflats go bad.

2.What are the wheels called? im pretty sure i have found them on a website but i want to be 100% sure. again, the car is a 2012 335i sport line and i believe they all come with the same rims but if im wrong please let me know and i will post a picture of it
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
1. Buy whatever you want. If you want the peace of mind, get run flats. If you want a better handling experience but get stuck with a flat get standard tires.

2. They are called rims, they are the part that the tire mounts to.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 02:11 AM   #3
willpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpling_god View Post
i have a 2012 335i sports line and its time to get new front tires due to impact bubbles and a new wheel because it has been bent(previous driver damages :/)
i have been to the BMW dealership and they are charging me a lot!! so i decided i was just going to buy the tires and wheel and do it myself, with the help of my mechanic friend. but i have come across two questions.

1. should i buy 2 new run flat tires OR 4 new conventional tires? all the places i have been to tell me everyone chooses conventional tires after the runflats go bad.

2.What are the wheels called? im pretty sure i have found them on a website but i want to be 100% sure. again, the car is a 2012 335i sport line and i believe they all come with the same rims but if im wrong please let me know and i will post a picture of it

1. If you do not buy run-flats, then make sure you have a tire repair kit in your car. Something like this : Slime 70005 Safety Spair 7-Minute Flat Tire Repair System 12-Volt . It'll get you where you need if you really get a nail / etc and don't want to be towed to the dealer.

Drawbacks of runflats are 1. price 2. generally less comfortable and average performance.

I suggest you buy one of the following tires:

Continental DW
Continental DWS
Hankook V12
Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position

Or , in my opinion the best bar none - Michelin Pilot Super Sports . You not only have pretty much the best non special order tire out there, it also looks badass.

2. Buy a set of wheels from someone in the classifieds section, or on ebay. If you want, you can look into aftermarket wheels. Just ask a vendor in the classifieds section. Used OEM wheels run from 800, while new aftermarket wheels run 800 - 10,000+.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

@willpower - agreed the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are an excellent tire. I am also going to replace my (stock) runflats with the Michelin's and a tire repair kit.

Don't get the Conti DWS - they're not that great! I've never been thrilled with the Conti. brand, they make average tires.

OP - check out Tire Rack, and do some research first. You can just shop around, check out what tires you want (All-Season, Snow/Winter, Performance, etc.), and read reviews on the tires.

The F30 has lots of different tire options, so you want what's right for your car. You car either came with the same size tires on all 4 corners (square setup), or it could've come with 2 smaller front tires with 2 larger rear tires (staggered setup). If you're unsure, just go to a tire place, and they'll help you out.
      08-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
willpower
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34.50 View Post
@willpower - agreed the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are an excellent tire. I am also going to replace my (stock) runflats with the Michelin's and a tire repair kit.

Don't get the Conti DWS - they're not that great! I've never been thrilled with the Conti. brand, they make average tires.

OP - check out Tire Rack, and do some research first. You can just shop around, check out what tires you want (All-Season, Snow/Winter, Performance, etc.), and read reviews on the tires.

The F30 has lots of different tire options, so you want what's right for your car. You car either came with the same size tires on all 4 corners (square setup), or it could've come with 2 smaller front tires with 2 larger rear tires (staggered setup). If you're unsure, just go to a tire place, and they'll help you out.
Yep. Except I think that the dws is okay for the price and all season aspect of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
Sherhart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Vert & 2015 RR Sport

Have had the Conti DW on several cars (WRX & S2000) and they are great tires. The fact that they are reasonably priced is a bonus.

Next set for the F30 will be the Michelin PSS to see if the tire matches the hype

Jimbo
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Replaced my Pirelli RFTs with Michelin PSS and loving it. Got a "slime kit" that's similar to what they provde in the M cars in case of minor flats.
Appreciate 0