F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 320D - ED / SE / Sport Decisions....
GetBMWParts

09-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
NickB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 320D ED

320D - ED / SE / Sport Decisions....

Hi Everyone,

I currently drive a 2010 320d efficient dynamics - selected as a company car. I was fairly restrained with the options, however did elect to have the sports seats and visibility pack. Overall I have been very pleased with the car which is comfortable, handles well, economical and just about powerful enough for most situations.

The time to change is not far away and I have decided on an F30. I would porbably go for a similar spec, adding the adaptive suspension. The dilemma is weather to go for the company car tax effectient ED (109 g CO2 / KM) version, or choose an SE or Sport.

I am seeking some opinions as to what **in reality** is sacrificed by chosing an ED over the SE / Sport variants. I tnow that that BPH is down slightly, however torque is identical. I am less interested in cosmetics (big wheels etc.) but do enjoy driving, so handling and general driving experience is important.

Opinions appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
335dMSport+
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d MSport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Hi Everyone,

I currently drive a 2010 320d efficient dynamics - selected as a company car. I was fairly restrained with the options, however did elect to have the sports seats and visibility pack. Overall I have been very pleased with the car which is comfortable, handles well, economical and just about powerful enough for most situations.

The time to change is not far away and I have decided on an F30. I would porbably go for a similar spec, adding the adaptive suspension. The dilemma is weather to go for the company car tax effectient ED (109 g CO2 / KM) version, or choose an SE or Sport.

I am seeking some opinions as to what **in reality** is sacrificed by chosing an ED over the SE / Sport variants. I tnow that that BPH is down slightly, however torque is identical. I am less interested in cosmetics (big wheels etc.) but do enjoy driving, so handling and general driving experience is important.

Opinions appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Nick,

With the excellent BIK figures across the range surely you'd be happier paying just a little extra and being sat driving the sport version? The salesman I dealt with said not to bother with the adaptive suspension unless you really throw the car about or do track days so you could spend the extra money on a decent stereo system maybe or just keep it in the bank?

I get an allowance after opting out of the car scheme so can't comment in depth about your specific question but hope I've given you food for thought?

Welcome to the forum too!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Welcome Nick

I'm sure a test drive in both models will sway you one way or the other.

Personally I would go SPORT, as there isn't a massive difference in CO2 therefore BIK %.

If you can stretch to the auto box it is one band higher I think. Obviously P11D is higher though.

Good luck and let us know what and why
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Welcome

The ED will still be a great car to drive by any standards in its class. It's just that the Sport version will be better. That doesn't diminish the ED in any way, it's just that there's another level of awesome. Oh, and don't test drive them back to back. That's a foregone conclusion. If you drive the two back to back, you'll buy the Sport
      09-21-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
Commanderke
Rep
Drives: /

Quoting a belgian carmag :

The 320 ed is fantastic, if you didn't drive the 320 NON ed.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 03:56 AM   #6
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Hi Nick,

The 320d ED is certainly getting a lot of praise and has just got What Car?'s Green Car of the Year 2012 award. I haven't driven one but as people suggest, a test drive of both will help you decide. Visibility Pack is a good choice, I was sceptical at first but wouldn't be without it now

I too thought the adaptive suspension was all about throwing the car down twisty lanes but since reading these forums I have seen lots of comments from people saying it's just better all round than the standard setup. Specifically it deals with poor road surfaces (no shortage of those in the UK!) much better and gives a more comfortable ride, so be sure to include some bad roads in your test drive

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

The Sport has a nicer interior than either the ED or SE, plus the sports seats. I would get the adaptive suspension if you can afford it, as the standard car's low speed ride is a bit choppy - though it is fine once you get over 30mph.

You could consider the 318d Sport (not that I'm biased or anything)! It isn't as powerful as the 320d but it is by no means slow, and you get a useful price saving.

Previous: F30 318d Sport, R56 MINI Dooper 2010, E93 325i M-Sport auto 2007, E91 320d SE 2005, E46 318Ci Coupe 2002
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 04:05 AM   #8
NickB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks everyone for your thoughts & opinions.

I had pretty much settled for the 320D ED - however reading this I am now not so sure. I don't mind paying a little extra if the Sport is a better drive than the 320D ED.

The company car scheme allows 3 * 24 hour test drives so I will try the 320D ED manual, 320D ED Auto & 320D Sport.

Cheers,

Nick
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
NickB
Enlisted Member
Rep

All,

Sorry to ressurect an old thread - however I have not yet had a chance to test drive. So question is?

Anyone driven a 320D SE / Sport AND 320D ED. Apart from the obvious styling / spec differences are there any significant 'real world' differences in terms of driving / performance.

163 BHP v 183 BHP. Same torque figure. Just from a company car perpective, there is a useful saving on the 320D ED.

Cheers,

Nick
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

I've driven the F30 320d ED and to be honest compared to the 320d in real terms I could not tell the difference. I tend not to thrash my cars (as I own them) .... except for the odd occasion when some boyracer with his stuck on LED lights Corsa 1.4 needs a proper whipping

One thing that I did notice was that the ED did roll around a lot more in corners. I've gone for M Sport trim & Adaptive Suspension as the ride on the M Sport suspension around London is pretty unsettled. Adap Sus in Comfort mode gives a nice relaxed ride and then stiffens up nice in Sport mode when there are some nice fast bends.

Also the ED defaults to ECO-PRO mode on start up, compared to the rest of the range which start in Comfort. You'll want to get off ECO-PRO....its a performance killer, also I don't think ED gets Sport+ mode. I've never used it and prob won't.

Last edited by kitster; 01-11-2013 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0