F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 F30 Steering wheel vibration
GetBMWParts

08-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #221
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudder View Post
There seem to be several people putting some thought into this so I wanted to bring up a few points because I feel like something very important is being overlooked in this discussion.

Third, the steering wheel shake/vibration always happens around the same speed range (roughly 40-60mph) but varies dramatically in intensity depending on the road... This has been my experience and I'm very curious if those who have experienced major problems with steering shake can test it and see if they agree.
I posted the following comment in the other steering vibration 'Poll' thread.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...=724116&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
.....Have you found (or anyone else) that the vibration changes, even disappears, if the car is rounding a bend (same speed), but where you are definitely holding pressure on the steering wheel to hold the line?

HighlandPete
The other test I'd be making is, weave (very slightly) to and fro as it happens, to see if loading the EPS stops the vibration. I'd like to know if loading the torque sensor in the EPS (as you would do with a weave or bend test) stops what I feel could be oscillations caused by the EPS servo motor in some conditions and amplified by some road surfaces.

I assume everyone has tried the different gear/rpm test as Scudder has suggested. And it is a definite 40 - 60mph speed issue.

For all drivers with the problem, does it only happen on straight level sections, or does it still vibrate with bad camber (where you must slightly correct the steering), or on slow bends as well?

As a problem solver in my own engineering discipline, clear identification and elimination of "cause and effect" are essential to find the fault. Particularly this issue, which is right in the speed zone where typically wheels also show imbalance and shimmy.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #222
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerusarus View Post
A friend of mine closed off the air-intakes that is just in front of the wheels. According to him it solved his problem, he is working for Boeing at their wind tunnel facility. Perhaps in his case is was pure luck or coincidence. If you look at the demos on YouTube they demonstrate the airflow over the front wheels.
Not impossible as air flow is a disturbing factor. Road surface another, so reduce one and/or another and it could mean the disturbance is low enough not to cause or amplify the next stage of events. We know some have got a solution with wheel balance alone, some much less of a vibration after wheel balance or tyre changes, so there are (it appears) disturbing factors or generators for this steering vibration.

It is possible it could be damped out, but the negative could be even less road feel with EPS.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #223
f30Indy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
1982 BMW 320i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I have a late march 328i base model with the 8spd auto, style 393 wheels and Continental tires. Has been into the dealer twice for this issue (both time were 3-5 days) since I got this car in mid June. This last trip in I got a PUMA number but I not sure how to proceed? I love the car and have owned many BMW's but this is annoying for sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #224
Tim_78
Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Vibration issue

I am currently in the process of discussing my options with my dealership and BMW NA. I am either going to get a 5 series or return the car and not get a BMW. I will keep the forum posted for people who are in the same situation as I am.
      08-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #225
E34
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E34 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
... so there are (it appears) disturbing factors or generators for this steering vibration....

HighlandPete
I was looking at steering wheels on Real Oem and noticed that one of the parts of the wheel is actually called the "Vibration Generator". I hope they sort this out soon; my E34 is not going to make it much longer and I was very serious about a F30 328i.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #226
SmoothSteeringHopeful
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_78 View Post
I am currently in the process of discussing my options with my dealership and BMW NA. I am either going to get a 5 series or return the car and not get a BMW. I will keep the forum posted for people who are in the same situation as I am.
I'd like to know how you got your dealership to do this. Maybe you can tell me who your talking to at BMW NA? I'm told repeatedly "sorry we arent going to do anything for you."
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 04:35 AM   #227
kral_mzk
Rep
Drives: 3.20d

I am from Turkey.I hate this problem

when ı went to service,they changed break disk but ı have same problem

service said; this problem normal for servotronic steering ..

exactly my problem is this; when pressing hardly on the brakes ,steering wheel vibrates.

service could not find a solution. Do not have a solution really?? Help me

Last edited by kral_mzk; 08-09-2012 at 04:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #228
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kral_mzk View Post
I am from Turkey.I hate this problem

when ı went to service,they changed break disk but ı have same problem

service said; this problem normal for servotronic steering ..

exactly my problem is this; when pressing hardly on the brakes, steering wheel vibrates.

service could not find a solution. Do not have a solution really?? Help me
It appears you have a different issue than the steering wheel vibration at 40 - 60mph. I don't think from the posts there is a brake vibration associated with the constant speed vibration. (I'm sure users with the issue will clarify).

Do you also get a steering vibration at around 50mph?

Vibration when pressing on the brakes is typically is a brake issue, not steering, particularly on a nearly new car.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #229
kral_mzk
Rep
Drives: 3.20d

what the problem in your opinion ?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #230
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kral_mzk View Post
what the problem in your opinion ?
They changed the brake rotors, but did they change the brake pads also? If not they should do that. If neither of those steps solve your problem, then it is likely an issue with the rear control arm bushing.

Please clarify something though...do you get this vibration when pressing a little bit on the brake pedal, or when pushing very hard? Is it at a certain speed? Does it get worse when you go faster?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #231
f30Indy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
1982 BMW 320i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Interested to hear how this turns out. Let us know the process. How did you initiate this discussion. I just keep getting the "we've sent the issue to BMW" feedback.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #232
Tim_78
Duke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30Indy View Post
Interested to hear how this turns out. Let us know the process. How did you initiate this discussion. I just keep getting the "we've sent the issue to BMW" feedback.

Thanks!
Still do not have a response from my dealership. Waiting to hear.

I think the most important of all is to have your dealership on your side. Definitely take your car to more than one dealership to let them attempt to fix it. If they are unable to fix the problem, then you should revisit the dealership where you originally bought your car from and explain them your concerns with the car. If it is a reputable and good dealership they should try to help you resolve this issue if they want to keep you as a happy customer.
      08-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #233
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Got a call from the service manager today and they are going to swap me out of the f30 and into whatever I want.

I have the sales guy running the numbers on a 335 to see how much if any more they want to charge me a month.

Might just end up getting the same car I have now but getting the xenons this time since premium isn't required. Also happy that i will be getting auto dimming mirrors this time.

Was considering the 135 but just wasn't impressed with it after the drive.
      08-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #234
Tim_78
Duke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Got a call from the service manager today and they are going to swap me out of the f30 and into whatever I want.

I have the sales guy running the numbers on a 335 to see how much if any more they want to charge me a month.

Might just end up getting the same car I have now but getting the xenons this time since premium isn't required. Also happy that i will be getting auto dimming mirrors this time.

Was considering the 135 but just wasn't impressed with it after the drive.
My question would be if the other 3 series that you are planning on getting has the same vibration issue, then what will happen? Since we are seeing many complaints?
      08-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #235
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
My question would be if the other 3 series that you are planning on getting has the same vibration issue, then what will happen? Since we are seeing many complaints?
no sure. dealer actually called me to ask if i want to try some 19's on my car to see if it gets rid of the vibration. If i had a 335 then i probably would have said yes, but with my 328 i will lose performance and efficiency with the 19's

braking would suffer
acceleration would suffer
add rotational mass
fuel efficiency would decrease.

waiting for them to tell me how much more it would cost to get into a 335. probably will end up just getting the same 328 i have now but with xenons.
      08-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #236
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10

I don't know it is related to the problems on F30s but I had the exact same issue with my X1 xDrive20d. It was one of the earliest productions of X1 worldwide, Nov 2009. Steering wheel was starting to shake at around 95 km/h (60 mph). I went to service for this almost 15 times and every time I went they said it was because of my tires or they're not properly balanced. I bought a set of new tires but no luck. At last, I got the demo X1 from the dealer and drove it on the exact same roads for 2 days without any vibration. I took both my car and the demo car to the service, they blamed it on the tires again, I made them swap the tires and rims of the cars. Demo car was perfect and mine was still shaking. The car stayed in the shop for 20 days. They changed everything including the steering wheel box. At the and they solved it by changing the UPPER SWINGS. Its been nearly a year now after the fix and there are no issues with the steering wheel.

Hope that helps.

PS: There was a 328i with the same issue at the dealer. It stayed at the service for 20 days and now it is on sale at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #237
SmoothSteeringHopeful
Private First Class
Rep

What are you all doing to get taken out of your vehicles into new ones?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #238
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe121 View Post
Tell your dealer of the problem, tell them you know of others with the problem and their is no fix for it. tell them to open a puma case on issue. call bmwna and notify them. tell them you want in a new car.
      08-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #239
RxCritical
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe121 View Post
I think it mainly has to do with your dealer. If they go to bat for you and press BMWNA, bingo trade assist. If they ignore you or blow you off then I don't think BMW will unilaterally do anything. So unfortunately if you have a dealer that's not willing to try to keep a customer happy then I guess you are basically at their mercy.
Short of, keep returning the car to them to try to fix it and then get a lawyer and go the lemon law route. Not fun either way.
Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #240
cardnation
Güten Täg
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 91 E30 & 13 F30

I didn't see any other 2013's mentioned so I guess I am unfortunately the first to report the vibration.

It's not 'horrible' but definitely noticeable mostly around 45-60. Its very odd, being that its perfectly harmonic, similar to an oscillating tone.

1991 E30 318iC 5MT M20B25 swapped Vert Black - gone
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #241
Tim_78
Duke
United_States
Rep

Great dealership

Finally today my dealership bought the car back from me. My only loss was one month of car payment ( I wouldn't see it as a loss since I drove the car for that period). I got my down payment infull.

For those who want to get rid of their problematic 3 series cars, my recommendation would be to definitely have your dealership on your side and battle for you with BMW NA. I dealt directly with the dealership general manager and he was very professional and great to deal with. They even offered a great deal on a 2013 5.28i but I didn't want to pay extra.

Good luck to all of you with your cases.
      08-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #242
SmoothSteeringHopeful
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Finally today my dealership bought the car back from me. My only loss was one month of car payment ( I wouldn't see it as a loss since I drove the car for that period). I got my down payment infull.

For those who want to get rid of their problematic 3 series cars, my recommendation would be to definitely have your dealership on your side and battle for you with BMW NA. I dealt directly with the dealership general manager and he was very professional and great to deal with. They even offered a great deal on a 2013 5.28i but I didn't want to pay extra.

Good luck to all of you with your cases.
Yea I loved my dealership at first. As a former car salesman I made it easy. Told them what I want, we negotiated for 15 mins maybe. I bought them all lunch, and didn't even ask them to deliver the car as my salesman had another customer come in. I dealt with the service manager, general sales manager, and operations manager at Rick Hendrick BMW. They all said the same thing, they're hands are tied. BMW NA will not let them do anything. It took hours of going back and forth just to get them to road force test my tires. They wouldn't balance the wheels with the tires off. They wouldn't try another set of wheels unless I bought them first. The second time I brought it in they wouldn't even balance the tires, told me I'd have to pay for it as BMW only allows 1 balance every so often.

Awful experience, just awful.

Calling BMW NA resulted in nothing as well for me. Actually one of the reps told me that they can not do anything. The dealership service department contacts BMW's warrenty department to get the car fixed or trade out of cars. They can ask the dealership to do more but they can not actually help you get you into a new car. Thats what I was told at least!
Appreciate 0