F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Car got hit in a parking lot - authorized/certified repair difference?
ARMA SPEED

09-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
eekthecat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i

Car got hit in a parking lot - authorized/certified repair difference?

So I had just gotten back in my car after some shopping today, and a person trying to pull into the space next to mine misjudged her turn and smacked/scraped into my rear bumper and quarter panel.

After photos and an exchange of into, her insurance company called me back quickly to say that it was 100% her fault, so they would be taking care of all of the costs. That said, they want me to bring my 428 to one of their shops for an estimate, and I'm free to take it wherever I'd like for the actual repair.

So, not having been in an accident since I was a teenager myself (eons ago), I was hoping you all might have some advice for me:

1) My local dealership has a BMW "authorized" repair shop that they work with - there is another nearby dealership who works with a BMW "certified collision center." There might be a minor dent, but mostly it'll be paint work, I think. Is there a difference? (I'm in socal, so it's ICC Collision/Crevier BMW or Spectrum Collision/Irvine BMW...
2) On lease return, will BMW care whether which one I chose?
3) After wiping off most of the paint transfer, it actually looks relatively minor, though the "authorized" shop wants ~$2.5k to repaint/blend the bumper and rear quarter panel. It's not me or my insurance paying for this, so I don't care, but I wonder how much of a fight their insurance (Geico) will put up over $2.5k for what amounts to scrapes and scratches?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
Diesel power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 Q8 E-Tron 24 M3 CX

I was recently hit by a Geico customer. You can bring it to wherever you want, but they will only pay what their estimator says the damage is. They also have a express repair option where you bring it to a Geico approved place and they give you a loaner and fix the car all in one place. You can shop around and see if any of their Express Repair places are BMW approved or certified. $2,500 does seem a little steep as they had to replace my back door, and color spray the front door and back quarter and then clear all 3 panels, and that only cost $2,200.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel power View Post
I was recently hit by a Geico customer. You can bring it to wherever you want, but they will only pay what their estimator says the damage is. ...
They will certainly try but if you want to use a certified center to do the work then they are on the hook for the difference in cost too. Dont let their adjuster tell you that their estimate is the final answer because it is not.
      09-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Just ask the BMW center where you intend on trading it back in, that way you won't get dinged if the repair isn't 100% for them - that way you can always say "I used the guys you told me to"
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
ADM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xdr Msprt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
Just ask the BMW center where you intend on trading it back in, that way you won't get dinged if the repair isn't 100% for them - that way you can always say "I used the guys you told me to"
One final bit of caution:
"If it is not in writing, it doesn't exist" of trying to quote them in the future.

Thus, if you can, try to get a written listing of "recommended" shops from your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
Diesel power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 Q8 E-Tron 24 M3 CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
They will certainly try but if you want to use a certified center to do the work then they are on the hook for the difference in cost too. Dont let their adjuster tell you that their estimate is the final answer because it is not.
I'm Pretty sure that if their appraiser says it's $1,500 in damage and the certified place says $3,500 that their not just going to fork over the cash. Of course there are always ways to resolve things, but if the only difference is one guy says he is factory certified and one guy isn't then you have to decide if its really your time to argue over the difference. Also the dealer will never know if you changed a bumper cover or had some light paint work done. There is no serialization on those parts, and as long as they do a good job in the paint booth the repair will be unnoticeable. I would think the only time you need to notify the finance company is if you have to repair the frame or repair/replace the engine/transmission.

Last edited by Diesel power; 09-12-2014 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by eekthecat View Post
2) On lease return, will BMW care whether which one I chose?
The lease end literature says it will matter. Definitely go a BMW certified shop that local BMW dealers farm work out to. You aren't at fault so why take on the risk of lease end charges by going elsewhere?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #8
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
As if they'll give a crap. I did this exact thing and the repair was shit, and the service advisor that gave me the address is no longer there. I will always use a CCRC even if that means 100 miles from home.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel power View Post
I'm Pretty sure that if their appraiser says it's $1,500 in damage and the certified place says $3,500 that their not just going to fork over the cash. Of course there are always ways to resolve things, but if the only difference is one guy says he is factory certified and one guy isn't then you have to decide if its really your time to argue over the difference. Also the dealer will never know if you changed a bumper cover or had some light paint work done. There is no serialization on those parts, and as long as they do a good job in the paint booth the repair will be unnoticeable. I would think the only time you need to notify the finance company is if you have to repair the frame or repair/replace the engine/transmission.
Don't know about your state but here in PA they HAVE to pay. I got dinged, estimator from cheapo body repair place said 450 to fix. It ended up 3000 at my place of choice (which was also shit in the end, long story). And they PAID. It's the law (here at least but I figured everywhere was the same for this aspect of insurance law)
Appreciate 0