F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Thinking about jumping ship (CTS-V)
proTUNING Freaks

02-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
Jayp0d
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: *

Thinking about jumping ship (CTS-V)

Hey Guys,

Was just perusing the USAA car buying service as I do from time to time and saw that I can get a new CTS-V for $2000 under invoice. This would be loaded with the optional Recaro seats, Black wheels, and Yellow Brembos.

A loaded M3 would be about $6000 more including USAA discount, BMW Financing discount, and BMW loyalty discount.

It just seems like Cadillac gives you more car for your money.

To be fair, the M3 seems like more of a track car, especially with that 8400 rpm redline. That's great for you guys that go to Leguna Seca every weekend, but I live just outside of Boston. I just want to be able to mash the throttle and pass people when it's safe to do so and there are no stateys around.

I'm not gonna ask if I should do it since I know I'll get a biased response. I'm just curious though - fellow BMW owners - if you could jump ship, what car would you get?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
breljohn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 911

It depends what you're looking for. The CTS-V is a cool car as well but to me, the quality is just not there. I was in the same boat as you but for my winter car. I bought a Jeep, sold it and got an X5.

It's just not the same feeling. American cars feel cheaper, look cheaper and TBH, the chassis of the M3 is so much better than the Cadi.

If you don't care about all that, get the Cadi, it will go fast for sure
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by breljohn View Post
It depends what you're looking for. The CTS-V is a cool car as well but to me, the quality is just not there. I was in the same boat as you but for my winter car. I bought a Jeep, sold it and got an X5.

It's just not the same feeling. American cars feel cheaper, look cheaper and TBH, the chassis of the M3 is so much better than the Cadi.

If you don't care about all that, get the Cadi, it will go fast for sure
I don't think a lot of those generalizations are correct, unless you have proof. I don't think the CTS-V chassis is at all inferior to the M3.

I think the build quality of the CTS-V is going to be as good as the M3.. The new CTS is a lot better than the 1st gen, although still many prefer the 1st gen. They're definitely different cars.

I had an 05 CTS-V before I bought my M coupe.. I also drove an 07 M5 before buying my coupe, and in terms of sports sedans, I prefer the CTS-V over the M5, even despite the CTS-V having less HP and arguably an inferior car overall.

The CTS-V is basically track ready right out of the box. The drivetrain is tried and true, and everything else is there.

The only part you might find slightly inferior is the interior. I thought the build quality was fantastic, definitely better than the 3 series although I've not sat in an M3 so there might be some differences there. In all fairness, I've seen some 7 series BMW interiors that were trashed compared to similar year GM cars that still looked great.

The CTS-V is M5 performance and practicality for M3 money. DO IT! American cars have a lot of stigma for poor quality of the 80s, 90's and early 2000s.. Anything fairly recent I think will change your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Get the CTS-V!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Jayp0d
Banned
United_States
Rep

Great responses guys.

I should have bought the M3 back in 2011 (or at least a 335is or 1M). Even after PPK my 335i feels slow and I do not want to aftermarket mod it.

The 2014 CTS-V will be getting some new interior technology similar to the 2013 ATS to modernize the interior - no real info though. I do think the iDrive system and overall interior "feel" in my 335i are nicer than in a Cadillac CTS. The Caddy also has no Bluetooth streaming in the V - something I do use. I've also read in the CTS-V forums that they are having trouble getting their USB thumbdrives to work (I like using the USB thumbdrive in the Bimmer for 320kbps audio + high-res album art; cheaper than buying a dedicated iPod and more convenient than plugging my iPhone in).

At the end of the day, there is a great Cadillac dealership I drive by to-and-from work every day. Can't hurt to check one out.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Never hurts to look and check it out ... Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Cadillac builds nice cars my neighbour and I went for lunch last week in his 1998 ELDORADO, still drives like a charm and was light years ahead of others (except for BMW ) in 1998 has all the gadgets and evening works. He turned on the BOSE radio it felt like I was in a concert hall

He also has a new SRX traded his Mustang for it

Next time we go for lunch I let him drive my M3

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 02-18-2013 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: Added SRX and the 1998 ElDorado :)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Love the CTS-V. Good luck w/ your purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Definitely check it out. You don't want to rule something out unless you know for sure you don't want it and you can't know that until you give it a spin. Just look at the thread in this same section about the guy who was dead set on a GTR but decided to give the 991 a try and ended up getting one.
      02-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

I loved the previous generation of CTS-V's, but the new generation looks absolutely horrible IMHO. The rear end looks terrible, the front still looks very good.

I don't think i'd personally go from BMW to any american brand in general, the quality difference is appalling, especially in interior's. With that being said, I'd rock a Cadillac for sure.
      02-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

CTS-V all the way.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
jhoncarlos
Registered
Rep
Drives: corrola

I do think the i Drive system and overall interior "feel" in my 335i are nicer than in a Cadillac CTS. The Caddy also has no Bluetooth streaming in the V - something I do use. I've also read in the CTS-V forums that they are having trouble getting their USB thumb drives to work I like using the USB thumb drive in the Bimmer for 320kbps audio + high-res album art.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
I loved the previous generation of CTS-V's, but the new generation looks absolutely horrible IMHO. The rear end looks terrible, the front still looks very good.

I don't think i'd personally go from BMW to any american brand in general, the quality difference is appalling, especially in interior's. With that being said, I'd rock a Cadillac for sure.
I'm sorry, but I just don't get this inferior quality thing with BMW vs. American cars. As far as reliability there are several American brands that rank higher than BMW. As far as interiors go, I think people are confusing "quality" with styling. Styling is a preference; quality is an attribute to either the functional design for a particular use or the materials and workmanship. I could point to the E90's early build years with peeling interior parts and everyone's complaints about the cupholders (which I like BTW).

I think a lot of Bimmer owners try to justify their purchase of a car that has somewhat less reliability than an American car for $15K more in price by saying the interior quality is poor. Most current model American cars I have been in have an interior build quality on par with my E90.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #13
Foxrus14
1 SLY 1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i work car...

CTS-V is a much better overall car. the Mag ride suspension is the most advanced in the world... just ask Ferrari... The motor is Bulletproof and good well into the 850 HP range with out modifying the bottom end with forged parts... I have built and raced many LS based Motors Starting witht he LS1 and I currently have an LS3 in my SS Camaro. Absolutely bullet proof. Plus 100,000 mile warranty and you wont see the maintenance issues down the road like you do with a Bimmer
2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special - Mine
2014 Harley Davidson Breakout - Wifey
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #14
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'm sorry, but I just don't get this inferior quality thing with BMW vs. American cars. As far as reliability there are several American brands that rank higher than BMW. As far as interiors go, I think people are confusing "quality" with styling. Styling is a preference; quality is an attribute to either the functional design for a particular use or the materials and workmanship. I could point to the E90's early build years with peeling interior parts and everyone's complaints about the cupholders (which I like BTW).

I think a lot of Bimmer owners try to justify their purchase of a car that has somewhat less reliability than an American car for $15K more in price by saying the interior quality is poor. Most current model American cars I have been in have an interior build quality on par with my E90.
My family has owned mostly american cars, and the interior on nearly all of them is of lesser value compared to european equivalents. My dads GM truck? its a 50 thousand dollar truck with the worst interior in the world, everything is plastic and all of the dash lights have went out before the car was 6 years old because they cheap out and put in regular bulbs instead of LED's. BMW doesn't just give you a nice styling(my opinion of course), they think of the little things and that's where the extra cost comes into play. I've been in various GM models and i can 100 percent say that their interiors are not impressive in any way shape or form. Camaro interiors? garbage, mustang interiors? also garbage. I imagine the luxury version of GM is a bit better, but none the less they love to cheap out on their interiors.

Government motors peak has come and gone with the 80's in my personal opinion, i refuse to buy from a company that had to be saved by the government because of terrible structuring. That and i plain hate 90 percent of their cars.

This is from my own experience, i'm not trying to justify the cost of my bmw, i don't give a shit about that. Though overall interior isn't a very important aspect of a car to me, it's certainly nice to have a well built and comfortable one(not referring to my 1er, because i hate the cup holders and get some pops in the summer. Mostly mean my dads 335i and my moms VW CC).
      02-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Go for it.

CTS-V is a sick car. In my opinion, only thing going for the M3 is the feel and brand name behind it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #16
TT6mT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW F30 M Sportline 6mt

Garage List
+1 vote for yes. CTS-V, raw power!!! I'd do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #17
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I love the cts-v, but I'd only get the wagon as it looks more proportional to me and it's performance is fantastic. The sedan looks ok to me, but the coupe is hideous imho. I'm not sure there is a marketable difference in quality of the interior as BMW's don't age well on the inside. My father-in-laws 2004 cts-v still looks good on the inside while my 3 series is creaky and the leather is downright ugly now. The M3 may age better than a regular 3 series but I don't know. If I left BMW the cts-v would be right up there with any car on the road to leave for. Well that and the new 911 or C63.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #18
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I just drove a ctsv for a while because I was considering getting one for my wife. But I think i will stick to getting her another 335. The ctsv is fast but it doesn't feel as nice as the BMW. No way in the world would I trade my m3 for it.
      02-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

I always say this. You have to justify spending so much for a car that has the same function as another car. The american cars I've had have been half the price of my bmw and yes the interiors arent amzing, but what bothers me is that the car double the price will still have defects. (i've had trim replaced in a couple spots that has peeled or flaked.)
Plus, you support america. Everyone wants to complain about the economy but then they go buy foriegn products.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
Jayp0d
Banned
United_States
Rep

Hey Guys,

So while the price on the CTS was insane ($67k, loaded), they couldn't come close to what I wanted for my trade. They basically agreed to pay off my loan, but current BlackBook value suggests I should be getting at least $3,000 back compared to what I owe. I'm glad I walked away from it though...

...because I just put a deposit on a loaded M3!

I'll start a new thread. I got within $500 of BlackBook for my trade (factoring a 2-3 month delivery time). I also got very close to invoice for the M3 (based on bmwconfig.com). I'll start a new thread, but I went through BMW of Newport RI for those of you who live in New England. Absolutely painless. We did everything via email, I sent them what I wanted to pay for the car, and what I wanted to get for my trade (which they came close to).

Getting back to the CTS-V, the real negative is the infotainment system. It is absolutely archaic. I love the interior (despite the plastic), love the Recaro seats, the analog clock, the gauge cluster with g-meter... But the technology is so dated. NO DVD player and thus, no iPhone/iPod video. The graphics of the Nav don't even look as good as the pre-LCI iDrive displays. There is no Bluetooth audio streaming and there is no way to display album art when connected to an iPhone/iPod. The salesperson said the 2014s should have the new Cadillac Cue system which looks pretty neat.

But for those of you interested in raw horsepower and proven 0-60 and 1/4 mile times (stock), you can get one for thousands less than a M3 or C63.
Appreciate 0