F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Insurance joke
Extreme Powerhouse

12-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #45
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdedhouse View Post
Highlights so far are Allianz €501, 'BMW' (Zurich) €650 to an eye watering €1068 with Aviva
(All comprehensive/protected Me - old guy,no points,decades of ncb)
My Insurance cost has jumped from £549 yesterday to £646 today, and it keeps going up and down like a whore's panties! This is with LV, fully comp, no Voluntary Excess, £200 Compulsory Excess, with all the trimmings except Breakdown Cover. With Admiral it is approx the same but their Compulsory Excess is just £100.

So I've decided to give up for a couple of days as I'm ruining what's left of my weekend.
      12-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #46
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

I was doing the rounds yesterday looking for insurance. Not an easy one for me a few details I need to tell them about to consider.

I don't have any no claims, but been on the company car insurance for last 8 years with no claims or accidents.

Insuring the future missus, who only has international license at the moment. Most wouldnt even insure her on the 330D with less than 1 year UK license. Getting her on the insurance is a deal breaker.

Aviva, were very good. Took everything in to account and gave me a pretty decent quote considering they'll insure the missus from day 1 on an international license.

Most likely go with them.

Pretty funny when I called to organise the 7 day complimentary insurance. You can put up to 4 other people on there. I did just that. That kept asking me anyone else. Hope you enjoy the car. Cheers mate.
      12-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #47
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Now it gets really silly.
Went onto the LV site. They had all my details correctly loaded and the cost has dropped by £50! But I never directly accessed their site until now! So now I'll go directly with them unless Admiral give me an even better deal!

Last edited by F30AM; 12-09-2012 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #48
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport -

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Now it gets really silly.
Went onto the LV site. They had all my details correctly loaded and the cost has dropped by £50! But I never directly accessed their site until now! So now I'll go directly with them unless Admiral give me an even better deal!
Thats funny...my quote directly with LV via their website is dearer then comparethemeerket.com by about £30..same details.

However the cheapest quote by far is with a company called endsleigh.. who I've never heard of.. not simples is it.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781108
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #49
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Endsleigh as huge and have been around a long time mate. I remember insuring my first car with them back in mid 90's!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #50
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30FAN View Post
Thats funny...my quote directly with LV via their website is dearer then comparethemeerket.com by about £30..same details.

However the cheapest quote by far is with a company called endsleigh.. who I've never heard of.. not simples is it.
I, eventually, got the cheapest quote from LV through moneysupermarket.com and by being referred directly to LV's internet site. The silly, rude cow I spoke to at LV removed my online quote without telling me first. Then she says, 'If I have to look at the details of your quote, it will disappear from the internet. Is that ok?' I told it's not and not too, but the moronic, lying, stupid cow had done so already. Beatch.

I've purchased my LV Insurance for £570 with everything except Breakdown Cover. Starts on 22/12 when I will get hold of Reinhardt!

If you went directly to LV, it would cost you considerably more. Strange that. But, is anything simple with the lying, cheating Insurance theives? Brasturds.

The other sites and companies are now driving me mad for my custom. I'm giving them short shrift.

Next task: Gap Insurance from ala.
      12-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #51
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Sorry you've had so much trouble, not fun is it!! I've just sorted my insurance out today for renewal early Jan on the 330d (wanted to do it ASAP with the prices going up on 20th Dec).

First wanted to go with Direct Line as they had the cheapest quote (£950), but found out they wouldn't insure my modifications (black grilles etc) with my girlfriend on the policy, as she hasn't been driving for 5+ years.

Then I tried LV, and they wanted £1650 with the modifications!

Did a Compare the Meerkat etc. and Admiral was the best - with the mods - at £1047. Phoned them to go ahead, but they wouldn't let me as I was already with Elephant, but th problem was Elephant just the day before had said they couldn't insure the car at all as it had 'too many modifications' (they were actually optional extras mostly, as they asked for both factory options and any mods, but apparently they don't differentiate between the two). In the end, Elephant agreed to match Admiral's price and insure all the options and minor mods, but not after literally an hour of being on the phone to them for 2 calls (first one cut me off after 35 minutes!) and being on hold 7 times in total! They just don't know what they're doing, or know anything about cars or the difference between an option and a modification. I ended up reeling off the list of options 3 times to them today, and for each option they have no clue what it is (what's a Xenon headlight?) and it just doesn't go in.

They were the cheapest so had to go with them, but doesn't give you much confidence! It should teach me to not do these little mods on the car, but that's all part of the fun...
      12-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #52
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Bunch of dickheads (male and female) who fleece us of our money. One day, a motorist will de-bollock or de-breast one them and I'll light a candle! It's done my head-in and I'm now on the Scotch! Really.
      12-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #53
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

MarkW83: So how much did they unload from you Bank Account?
      12-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #54
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
MarkW83: So how much did they unload from you Bank Account?
Ended up being £1171 after they added a bit more (and wouldn't budge) for the sun protection glass and 'suspension change' (Adaptive). Still a good improvement over the 135i last year though, which was £1550; had a claim and 3 points just over 5 years ago, so this is the first time I've been fully 'clean' for a long while...
      12-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #55
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Has anyone else had to pay more for adaptive suspension? Or other factory extras? I'll need to arrange insurance next week after the 7 day insurance expires.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #56
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Has anyone else had to pay more for adaptive suspension? Or other factory extras? I'll need to arrange insurance next week after the 7 day insurance expires.
I think it's just elephant/admiral mate to be honest, they're the cheapest for a reason! They ask you to declare all options but only have space for 6 on their system; you can get around it by getting them to speak to a manager or emailing them etc., but it's a bit of hassle. But for the saving it was worth it, only once a year to do!

You would usually be wise to declare any options with any insurer just in case; but most won't ask you, and if they do, most certainly won't charge you more; just elephant by the looks of it
      12-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #57
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Endsleigh as huge and have been around a long time mate. I remember insuring my first car with them back in mid 90's!
Cheers thats good to know! Have a week to decide...

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #58
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I, eventually, got the cheapest quote from LV through moneysupermarket.com and by being referred directly to LV's internet site. The silly, rude cow I spoke to at LV removed my online quote without telling me first. Then she says, 'If I have to look at the details of your quote, it will disappear from the internet. Is that ok?' I told it's not and not too, but the moronic, lying, stupid cow had done so already. Beatch.

I've purchased my LV Insurance for £570 with everything except Breakdown Cover. Starts on 22/12 when I will get hold of Reinhardt!

If you went directly to LV, it would cost you considerably more. Strange that. But, is anything simple with the lying, cheating Insurance theives? Brasturds.

The other sites and companies are now driving me mad for my custom. I'm giving them short shrift.

Next task: Gap Insurance from ala.
With you on that bro... will probably go with Endsleigh from the 19/12/12..will sort out GAP with ALA tomorrow...sorted out my BMWConnectDrive today... 2 more sleeps and I pick up my baby Wednesday lunchtime....phew sorted.

I need to check with ALA though if they insure the 19's the policy doc states..

This insurance will not cover the following:

'(f) Alloy wheel(s) with diamond (laser) cut rims, split rim construction or with chrome effect'.. ???

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #59
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Rich.. I've never been asked on any of my vehicles...the standard question normally is 'do you have any modification other than factory fitted'...but to be honest who the hell knows with these insurance companies nowadays...they'l sell their grandmothers to make a buck...

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #60
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Rich.. I've never been asked on any of my vehicles...the standard question normally is 'do you have any modification other than factory fitted'...but to be honest who the hell knows with these insurance companies nowadays...they'l sell their grandmothers to make a buck...
Elephant/Admiral's question is always 'do you have any modifications or optional extras’...
      12-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #61
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
Elephant/Admiral's question is always 'do you have any modifications or optional extras’...
When your buying new I guess you would know...but what about second hand and when your not a car geek...?!

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #62
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
When your buying new I guess you would know...but what about second hand and when your not a car geek...?!
Yep definitely an issue, gives them a get-out clause; I remember my first BMW which was second hand (335d), I think that was elephant as well; they insisted on noting all the options, and determining which were options and which were standard was difficult as I bought the car privately! Your VIN will tell you though, either online or at a dealer; but again most people wouldn't know that!
      12-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #63
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

So Aviva has just hit me with an additional £250 excess because the 330D M Sport is some kind of sports model WTF?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #64
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
So Aviva has just hit me with an additional £250 excess because the 330D M Sport is some kind of sports model WTF?
look around I would.
      12-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #65
pirulove
Major G33k
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d M Sport Estoril Blue

I had an issue with Admiral yesterday.

They wanted to charge me £417 to change my insurance over from my Audi A1 to my BMW when I pick it up on Saturday. Internet said I should only need to pay £120, which I calculated as the difference between what I paid last month for my Audi and the cost of the new BMW quote. After 30 minutes of going around in circles with the girl I first spoke with I was getting no where so asked to speak with a manager and was told one would phone me back.

I was impatient at work this morning and thought I would try my luck, phone in, speak with someone different.... low and behold I swapped my insurance over from my Audi to BMW for £47 quid which is cheaper than what the internet was quoting me between my Audi and BMW.

Roll on Saturday
      12-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #66
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Blimey, there seems to be some right royal **** taking going on with some of these companies. To be honest, I'd just hang up if they even started to talk about charging for factory options - more for adaptive suspension ...!

Mark, I sympathise with you - they have you by the short & curlies on account of age alone and I guess you can't go hanging up on people like that. One of the very few benefits of having a few years under your bonet ...

Guess I'm lucky on area etc (Bristol), but Direct Line quoted me on my 330d M Sport (fairly specced up) at £390. Hire car, legal costs etc. I went with them and reduced the excess from £550 to £250, which took the premium unto £420. Seemed pretty fair to me and there was no talk of options - just the overall value.

Still, all these guys try to shaft you at some point. The really galling thing is that they all assume you're a teen-age chav if you modify your car and charge you double the premium.

Picking my car up tomorrow - can't wait, but the weather looks utter pants ...

Last edited by DieselRocket; 12-18-2012 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: Crappy chelling specker on my computer insisted on chad instead of chav ...
Appreciate 0