F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB4 vs JB stage 1
ARMA SPEED

01-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
JB4 vs JB stage 1

I need help which product will serve me better as my 435 is almost here. I'm not doing any mods besides the tune. Is the stage 1 simpler to install/uninstall and use? I don't need a laptop because I'm not checking codes or switching maps, right? I'm a total novice and need to trust myself when uninstalling in case something goes wrong with the car (related or unrelated to the tune) and having to take it to the dealership and in turn, reinstalling. I have an excellent tuner that I'd use for the initial hook up or any problems I might encounter.

Many thanks guys
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsche View Post
I need help which product will serve me better as my 435 is almost here. I'm not doing any mods besides the tune. Is the stage 1 simpler to install/uninstall and use? I don't need a laptop because I'm not checking codes or switching maps, right? I'm a total novice and need to trust myself when uninstalling in case something goes wrong with the car (related or unrelated to the tune) and having to take it to the dealership and in turn, reinstalling. I have an excellent tuner that I'd use for the initial hook up or any problems I might encounter.

Many thanks guys
Stage 1 is easier to install (slightly as Stage 2 is a couple more wires). No laptop is needed for stage 1 and only useful for stage 2 to switch maps and do logs.

Stage 1: If you don't plan on doing further modding, using E85, want to turn the boost higher, etc.

Stage 2: If you want to log, change to higher boost maps, add mods like a downpipe, etc. You can add the mods without stage 2 obviously but stage 2 will allow you to get the most out of them.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
mannymazz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Stage 1 is easier to install (slightly as Stage 2 is a couple more wires). No laptop is needed for stage 1 and only useful for stage 2 to switch maps and do logs.

Stage 1: If you don't plan on doing further modding, using E85, want to turn the boost higher, etc.

Stage 2: If you want to log, change to higher boost maps, add mods like a downpipe, etc. You can add the mods without stage 2 obviously but stage 2 will allow you to get the most out of them.
I thought if you wanted to you could raise the boost with stage 1 via laptop
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannymazz View Post
I thought if you wanted to you could raise the boost with stage 1 via laptop
Negative. It doesn't have the connection.

The first batch of Stage 1s did, so technically you could, but a year or so ago they stopped shipping them that way. Basically once they started developing/shipping beta Stage 2s.

I got one of the first stage 1s when stage 2 was about to be released and it didn't have the connection ability (I even ordered the cable) and asked about it and was told they don't make (or quit making) Stage 1 boxes with that connection ability, only Stage 2. I upgraded to Stage 2 shortly after and that box obviously had the connection.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
becker800
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 GC

Just got finished installing my JB4.

It seemed quite confusing at first but now that I'm done, I think I could honestly do it in about 20-30 minutes. Stage 1 will be extremely easy, 2 simple plugs.
Stage 2 required a ground wire connected and power wire hooked up to Positive (in front engine, not rear), both of which aren't that difficult. Then 2 other wires need tapped into BMW wires using the included quick connects BMS provides, it seems a bit tricky but not that hard. Hardest part is finding the wires, manual is different from automatic and the instructions weren't exactly clear where they were located (its the wires going into the ECU but you have to know where that is) They ended up being very close to the one plug in connection point. Once the Electronic Solenoid issue is fixed, Stage 2 will be worth the little extra work I think.

Haven't been able to drive it yet due to the weather.

IF you have manual, the instructions for 2 of the wires are slightly off. Instructions say to tap into BMW's Blue and Blue-Red wires but in fact its the Red and Blue-Red wires. Pictures show this but the text is wrong. I checked with Terry and confirmed.

Last edited by becker800; 01-22-2014 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by becker800 View Post
Just got finished installing my JB4.

It seemed quite confusing at first but now that I'm done, I think I could honestly do it in about 20-30 minutes. Stage 1 will be extremely easy, 2 simple plugs.
Stage 2 required a ground wire connected and power wire hooked up to Positive (in front engine, not rear), both of which aren't that difficult. Then 2 other wires need tapped into BMW wires using the included quick connects BMS provides, it seems a bit tricky but not that hard. Hardest part is finding the wires, manual is different from automatic and the instructions weren't exactly clear where they were located (its the wires going into the ECU but you have to know where that is) They ended up being very close to the one plug in connection point. Once the Electronic Solenoid issue is fixed, Stage 2 will be worth the little extra work I think.

Haven't been able to drive it yet due to the weather.

IF you have manual, the instructions for 2 of the wires are slightly off. Instructions say to tap into BMW's Blue and Blue-Red wires but in fact its the Red and Blue-Red wires. Pictures show this but the text is wrong. I checked with Terry and confirmed.
Yea, I asked Terry the same thing before they updated the instructions. he said the location of the wires were the important thing, not the color (I was mildly confused as there were multiple wires of the same color). I think the instructions were updated to say the two right most wires to be less confusing, but that's for auto, not sure about manual.

I've installed and uninstalled and reinstalled due to having to bring it in for service and it's not that hard. Stage 2 is probably a 30min job if you take your time, Stage 1 probably can be done in 15 or less.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
becker800
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Yea, I asked Terry the same thing before they updated the instructions. he said the location of the wires were the important thing, not the color (I was mildly confused as there were multiple wires of the same color). I think the instructions were updated to say the two right most wires to be less confusing, but that's for auto, not sure about manual.

I've installed and uninstalled and reinstalled due to having to bring it in for service and it's not that hard. Stage 2 is probably a 30min job if you take your time, Stage 1 probably can be done in 15 or less.
Yes auto is a bit more detailed, Manual doesn't show location and the wire colors are mentioned wrong. I must have been one of the few manuals to install it for no one to mention that before
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
becker800
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just a quick review of the JB4, got to drive it a bit more this weekend.

Car really moves in 1st-3rd gear now. Can barely get traction, punch it in 2nd gear and tires really spin.
Wow what a difference it makes.
I haven't got the logging working correctly yet, could be my laptop, not sure yet.

But the JB4 is definitely working correct, this is just running map 1 as of now until the electronic solenoid issue is fixed.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
ShlemonboostedM
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i F30

Quote:

Car really moves in 1st-3rd gear now. Can barely get traction, punch it in 2nd gear and tires really spin.
I haven't got the logging working correctly yet, could be my laptop, not sure yet.

But the JB4 is definitely working correct, this is just running map 1 as of now until the electronic solenoid issue is fixed.
With electronic solenoid jb4 even in map 1 not giving you full potential of it .. you still boost about 11 psi instead of 12.5 psi for map 1 so once that issue with solenoid is fixed it will be even faster .. If i punch it at 50mph right now my car loose traction and goes sideways .. with my mods..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #10
AgentCircus
Aviator
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShlemonboostedM View Post
With electronic solenoid jb4 even in map 1 not giving you full potential of it .. you still boost about 11 psi instead of 12.5 psi for map 1 so once that issue with solenoid is fixed it will be even faster .. If i punch it at 50mph right now my car loose traction and goes sideways .. with my mods..
So you're saying that it's not worth it for Stage 2 for electronic solenoid owners? Know what the gains would be w/ a Stage 1 and the BMS intake?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
becker800
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentCircus View Post
So you're saying that it's not worth it for Stage 2 for electronic solenoid owners? Know what the gains would be w/ a Stage 1 and the BMS intake?
In my opinion, its probably barely worth it BUT once the electronic solenoid issue is resolved, it will be a simple addition and will then be worth it to have JB4 for sure.

For $150, go for it. We are driving $50-60k cars after all
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #12
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:

Glad you're enjoying the new tune

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #13
MicrophoneMic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 N55

What kind of 1/4 mile improvements can you expect with stage 1 over stock for the N55?

The only thing I could find on search is a guy with stage 1 run 13.3. I've been to the Burger Tuning website and saw the Dyno figures (#'s looked inflated some) and I know times vary based on all sorts of conditions, but what type of realistic real world improvement can you expect for stage 1?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #14
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
MotorTrend tested a 335xi N55 with PPK (let's face it, JB stage 1 equivalent) and ran 13.0 105. These pro testers always get amazing results from cars they test but, anyone should get that above result with the 8AT and launch control under optimal conditions.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 06:33 AM   #15
olehead
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240I X drive

dead stock 2014 335 GT last Oct - Car had 500 miles on it made three 1/4 miles runs - with car in sport mode and no pre loading of turbo 13.45 at 104 was the best run with a 2.0 60ft - my guess is with a more aggressive launch be about 13.3 stock

I am going to wait until the wastegate issue is fixed - then put some drag radials on run JB4 map 2 and let her rip
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #16
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

I LOVE my N26 Stage 1. Setup was uber simple, and doesn't require any additional configuration/tuning. Was comparing to JB4, and I'm just not sure that the cost/benefit is there for me since I'm not planning on doing additional mods (it's a lease).
      01-31-2014, 11:41 AM   #17
inChargeOfIT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport

The JB4 also smooths out the boost curve so you get more low end traction and the shifts are smoother. It also has oil temp protection built in. You still need to manually shift around 6k, but besides that, stage 2 feels like a stock option. Feels a lot smoother than stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 06:12 PM   #18
NateDog07V
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M235i BSM Auto

Interesting... i was under the impression Stage 1 and JB4 map 1 were essentially the exact same thing. The JB4 does offer the option to turn up the boost a bit with Map 2 which is nice, but i'm still waiting for the steering controls which will put the finishing touches on a great product. I've got a 335 MSport with the pneumatic solenoid and plan no additional mods
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 07:55 PM   #19
AgentCircus
Aviator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inChargeOfIT View Post
The JB4 also smooths out the boost curve so you get more low end traction and the shifts are smoother. It also has oil temp protection built in. You still need to manually shift around 6k, but besides that, stage 2 feels like a stock option. Feels a lot smoother than stage 1.
You've had experience w/ both?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 10:28 PM   #20
inChargeOfIT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentCircus View Post
You've had experience w/ both?
Yeah. I had stage one for almost a year before I installed stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 10:44 PM   #21
inChargeOfIT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDog07V View Post
Interesting... i was under the impression Stage 1 and JB4 map 1 were essentially the exact same thing. The JB4 does offer the option to turn up the boost a bit with Map 2 which is nice, but i'm still waiting for the steering controls which will put the finishing touches on a great product. I've got a 335 MSport with the pneumatic solenoid and plan no additional mods
You can put the tune into map 0 or 1 with steering wheel. Newer stage 1's might be similar (not sure), but the difference between my stage 1 and 2 have been substantial. A lot less wheel spin down low and it pulls so much smoother now. I also installed an ER charge pipe before installing the stage 2 so that may have made a slight difference (doubt it, but it's possible).

Only downside to stage 2 is the fact that you have to tap into the stock harness using posi-taps. Posi-taps are really good products but I would not want to take the tune on and off the harness too often for fear of damaging or weakening the harness. Also, be sure you properly ground the unit when you install. BMW has a black cable right next to slightly larger red cable but both are 12V! This could be bad and will likely result in a fried ECU if you wire up two 12V to the stock harness.

If the JB4 came with a harness plug adapter so you did not have to tap into the harness it would be perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #22
AgentCircus
Aviator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inChargeOfIT View Post
You can put the tune into map 0 or 1 with steering wheel. Newer stage 1's might be similar (not sure), but the difference between my stage 1 and 2 have been substantial. A lot less wheel spin down low and it pulls so much smoother now. I also installed an ER charge pipe before installing the stage 2 so that may have made a slight difference (doubt it, but it's possible).

Only downside to stage 2 is the fact that you have to tap into the stock harness using posi-taps. Posi-taps are really good products but I would not want to take the tune on and off the harness too often for fear of damaging or weakening the harness. Also, be sure you properly ground the unit when you install. BMW has a black cable right next to slightly larger red cable but both are 12V! This could be bad and will likely result in a fried ECU if you wire up two 12V to the stock harness.

If the JB4 came with a harness plug adapter so you did not have to tap into the harness it would be perfect.
The tapping is a real put off, otherwise I'd probably go for Stage 2.
Appreciate 0