F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Sport+ Extremely Hard Shifting
GetBMWParts

08-10-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Black 330i xDrive

Garage List
Sport+ Extremely Hard Shifting

I just coded my VO to turn on Sport+ and it's not really what I expected and I don't know if it's just how it is or if there is an underlying issue.

Sport mode works perfectly fine, as well as comfort and ecopro. However the newly coded SAT acts up when in Sport+.

I get extremely hard shifting to where it jerks your head back even when no over throttling. And it starts off with little jerks or stutters like your coding over cracks in a road and then it shifts and is very hard. I coded the VO as well as all CAFD files to configure the newly added SAT. Is the normally how it feels or is there maybe an underlying issue in my transmission? I have a CPO with full warranty but at the same time might be hard to take in and have them drive it because I don't know if they can tell if my car comes stock with Sport+ or not. A few threads had similar problems but no solutions. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
      08-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #2
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Figueroa View Post
I just coded my VO to turn on Sport+ and it's not really what I expected and I don't know if it's just how it is or if there is an underlying issue.

Sport mode works perfectly fine, as well as comfort and ecopro. However the newly coded SAT acts up when in Sport+.

I get extremely hard shifting to where it jerks your head back even when no over throttling. And it starts off with little jerks or stutters like your coding over cracks in a road and then it shifts and is very hard. I coded the VO as well as all CAFD files to configure the newly added SAT. Is the normally how it feels or is there maybe an underlying issue in my transmission? I have a CPO with full warranty but at the same time might be hard to take in and have them drive it because I don't know if they can tell if my car comes stock with Sport+ or not. A few threads had similar problems but no solutions. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
If i'm understanding correctly - I think you mean it's pretty jerky when shifting at low revs? or low load?

My car does the same and so did a 428 I used to drive, My guess is in sport you either need to shift at a higher rpm or more load, or else it'll feel like that. But yea two cars that I've driven feel the same so I'm assuming its normal.
      08-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryo91 View Post
Quote:

If i'm understanding correctly - I think you mean it's pretty jerky when shifting at low revs? or low load?

My car does the same and so did a 428 I used to drive, My guess is in sport you either need to shift at a higher rpm or more load, or else it'll feel like that. But yea two cars that I've driven feel the same so I'm assuming its normal.
I wish you could code in shift points to shift at high Rpms oh well. Guess I'll only use Sport+ for launch control then lol
      08-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
Domotron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328xi M-Sport

yeah my car in sport + mode shifts pretty hard at low RPM/load .. BMW tech said its normal
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domotron View Post
yeah my car in sport + mode shifts pretty hard at low RPM/load .. BMW tech said its normal
Okay good to know!
      08-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #6
LRW70
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
When you say hard shifting, are you talking about sport+ with the SAT selector to the left in sport/manual? If so mine shifts hard in sport & sport+
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #7
AFjbyers
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Yes, normal under low load as stated previously.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #8
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRW70 View Post
Quote:
When you say hard shifting, are you talking about sport+ with the SAT selector to the left in sport/manual? If so mine shifts hard in sport & sport+
Yes that's what I'm talking about. Seems normal though.
      08-20-2017, 11:05 PM   #9
LRW70
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes that's what I'm talking about. Seems normal though.
Cool
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 05:22 PM   #10
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

It's normal. When driving in sport and sport+ you should demand faster shifts otherwise what's the point of having the feature?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 05:35 PM   #11
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
It's normal. When driving in sport and sport+ you should demand faster shifts otherwise what's the point of having the feature?
Yeah I realize you want faster shifts, but with a car like BMW you should have that hard of shifting. They should have smoothed out he shifting to make it smoother.
      08-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #12
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Figueroa
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Yeah I realize you want faster shifts, but with a car like BMW you should have that hard of shifting. They should have smoothed out he shifting to make it smoother.
Sport+ is for sporty driving. When you're getting after it you don't notice the shifts. In fact you'd notice if they were slow/sloppy. If you want a leisurely driving experience then use comfort mode.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #13
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Quote:
They did! Its called comfort mode

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0