F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Horrible Rasp after vrsf downpipe install.
GetBMWParts

05-17-2018, 05:46 PM   #1
chadb21
Rep
Drives: Gray F30 335 xdrive

Horrible Rasp after vrsf downpipe install.

Awe axelback with 18" vibrant resonator and the damn rasp is still there. All the n55s with catless dps and axelback sound amazing online. Is it safe to assume any catless dp will create some rasp? Or is there a better catless dp with more engineering that would prevent rasp?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 06:06 PM   #2
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

might be the vibrant resonator
      05-17-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
chadb21
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoon_209 View Post
might be the vibrant resonator
No I put that on because the rasp was even worse without it. Now I still have some rasp but lost the loud gnarly sound I liked😑.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #4
chadb21
Rep

I've concluded. Anyone looking to buy a catless dp with an aftermarket catback will have to endure some rasp. Just wish there was more info regarding this. I'm going to be in the market for a high flow downpipe now.

Last edited by chadb21; 05-18-2018 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 08:34 PM   #5
Gospeedracer
Private
Rep
Drives: Estoril 435i M-Sport

I used a 21-24"? Resonator on my old turbo civic and it killed all the rasp. Sounded respectable afterwards. I'd give a larger resonator a try before accepting it as is.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 10:34 PM   #6
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadb21 View Post
I've concluded. Anyone looking to buy a catless dp with an aftermarket catback will have to endure some rasp. Just wish these manufacturers would tell us. I'm going to be in the market for a high flow downpipe now.
I think its the combo of the resonator and awe axleback. Ive heard plenty of mpe/catless Dp and dinan/catless dp in person and there was very slight rasp and only in a short range of high rpms... we're not talking rasp like an e46 m3, but the tone changes. You gotta expect it to change when youre removing all that material.

So it could just be the axle back itself.
      05-18-2018, 01:14 AM   #7
chadb21
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryo91 View Post
I think its the combo of the resonator and awe axleback. Ive heard plenty of mpe/catless Dp and dinan/catless dp in person and there was very slight rasp and only in a short range of high rpms... we're not talking rasp like an e46 m3, but the tone changes. You gotta expect it to change when youre removing all that material.

Ya it's a very short range but the sound catless vs catted will never be as good. My AWE axelback sounded mean with the stock dp. Now just so so even with the resonator. So sad😔. If doing a catless dp stick with stock exhaust people. You won't regret it. These aftermarket catbacks just sound like shit with a catless dp and I wish there were more people speaking up about it. Very dissapointing and kind of misleading on the part of these companies promoting catless downpipes in combo with their catbacks.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #8
Mr. Tasty
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 335i Mperformance

Quote:
Ya it's a very short range but the sound catless vs catted will never be as good. My AWE axelback sounded mean with the stock dp. Now just so so even with the resonator. So sad��. If doing a catless dp stick with stock exhaust people. You won't regret it. These aftermarket catbacks just sound like shit with a catless dp and I wish there were more people speaking up about it. Very dissapointing and kind of misleading on the part of these companies promoting catless downpipes in combo with their catbacks.
Catless downpipe and stock catback is widely renowned as being the best sounding exhaust setup, period. It is a well known fact on the forums.

Don't bash companies for trying to sell products, it's what they do.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 11:41 AM   #9
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tasty View Post
Catless downpipe and stock catback is widely renowned as being the best sounding exhaust setup, period. It is a well known fact on the forums.

Don't bash companies for trying to sell products, it's what they do.
catless with stock is nice but the volume isnt quite there

i have mpe with catless and its perfect

quiet on idle and cruise and sounds amazing on WOT
      05-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #10
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ya it's a very short range but the sound catless vs catted will never be as good. My AWE axelback sounded mean with the stock dp. Now just so so even with the resonator. So sad��. If doing a catless dp stick with stock exhaust people. You won't regret it. These aftermarket catbacks just sound like shit with a catless dp and I wish there were more people speaking up about it. Very dissapointing and kind of misleading on the part of these companies promoting catless downpipes in combo with their catbacks.
I'm pretty sure that when all these companies created their aftermarket mufflers/catback systems, the sound and design are based off a stock cat exhaust.

Yes, one would expect an exhaust to sound better due to catless but thats not always the case since sound is so subjective and makes sense as to why the sound is just not the same or worse in your case.

idk about you but based on my research i have not seen any exhaust company promote a catless setup with their exhausts. third party vendors yes, but not the respective companies themselves.
      05-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #11
sirvanny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 435I

I have a meisterschaft evc with a Er catless downpipe & my car sounds amazing lol
I love it. The burbles and growls. Do you have a vid of your car?
      05-18-2018, 04:34 PM   #12
chadb21
Rep

It sounds great minus the rasp haha. After doing more research I found a few members on here that said they still had a little rasp even with the stock catback.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 09:11 PM   #13
f32ftw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435 xdrive

I also have the AWE axleback and midpipe with the VSRF downpipe. The downpipe ruined my exhaust note. It's overly raspy, too loud and there's so much drone. I'm not sure if a catted downpipe would help. I'm still trying to figure out what to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 06:57 AM   #14
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
I think if you're going catless, it's best to keep the stock midpipe/resonator.
Catless + no resonator = drone.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 12:25 AM   #15
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

I have a catted DP and the dinan exhaust. Not overly loud, but it did get louder and sounded like crap one weekend. Turned out my CAI coupler got loose but never gave me an error, guess just a boost leak and bad exhaust sound,re tightening all that and back to normal awesome sound. Maybe check your fittings make sure all is tight.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 02:14 PM   #16
BearF32
Rep
Drives: 14 F32

Is this a custom mid pipe? Try moving the resonator closer the engine. That should eliminate some rasp
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #17
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryo91 View Post

Ya it's a very short range but the sound catless vs catted will never be as good. My AWE axelback sounded mean with the stock dp. Now just so so even with the resonator. So sad. If doing a catless dp stick with stock exhaust people. You won't regret it. These aftermarket catbacks just sound like shit with a catless dp and I wish there were more people speaking up about it. Very dissapointing and kind of misleading on the part of these companies promoting catless downpipes in combo with their catbacks.
That's not really true. My exhaust isn't that raspy. I think it has rasp but not until you get into the high Rpms
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #18
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Ya it's a very short range but the sound catless vs catted will never be as good. My AWE axelback sounded mean with the stock dp. Now just so so even with the resonator. So sad😔. If doing a catless dp stick with stock exhaust people. You won't regret it. These aftermarket catbacks just sound like shit with a catless dp and I wish there were more people speaking up about it. Very dissapointing and kind of misleading on the part of these companies promoting catless downpipes in combo with their catbacks.
Sucks that you're having issues with your setup, but there are plenty of people running catless dp and aftermarket exhaust with no problems. I'm running a VRSF catless dp, stock mid, and Remus axle back. No issues with rasp. I'm sure you're just voicing your frustrations, but over-generalization of the entire market based on your individual setup isn't necessarily fair or accurate. In any case, hope you're able to get it sorted out. GL!
      05-23-2018, 05:50 PM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Downpipe on its own does not cause any noticeable rasp

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0