F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Sports+ vs Sports modes
Extreme Powerhouse

12-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Sports+ vs Sports modes

Can someone give me a quick rundown on Sports+ Mode vs Sports? It appears it stands for 'Sports plus stability control off', so it it the same as driving in Sport with the top button near the gear shift activated? The gear shifts seem tighter though, so I'm sure there's more to it.

So, in Sports+ mode, DSC stays on, but DTC (I assume the car symbol with the burnout marks is DTC) is turned off?

So, in Sports+, pushing and holding that same button also turns off DSC? So, that results in all stability and traction control off, but still in Sports or Sports+ mode?

Just getting ready...
      12-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Can someone give me a quick rundown on Sports+ Mode vs Sports? It appears it stands for 'Sports plus stability control off', so it it the same as driving in Sport with the top button near the gear shift activated? The gear shifts seem tighter though, so I'm sure there's more to it.

So, in Sports+ mode, DSC stays on, but DTC (I assume the car symbol with the burnout marks is DTC) is turned off?

So, in Sports+, pushing and holding that same button also turns off DSC? So, that results in all stability and traction control off, but still in Sports or Sports+ mode?

Just getting ready...
Simon,

Here is a link to the PDF of the US Drivers Manual for F30 328 and 335.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635389

Driving stability control systems are on page 106
      12-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Sorry.......it's page 104.
      12-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
Sorry.......it's page 104.
Thanks SteveAus, that's the nicest way anyone's told me to..

12-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Hehehe........that wasn't the sentiment I intended. I just thought it might be easier for you to have it all in front of you when you started pushing buttons on and off.

"So, in Sports+ mode, DSC stays on, but DTC (I assume the car symbol with the burnout marks is DTC) is turned off?

So, in Sports+, pushing and holding that same button also turns off DSC? So, that results in all stability and traction control off, but still in Sports or Sports+ mode?"

Basically, in Sports+ mode you get limited stability control, but with the DTC turned off you will be in full control (or not as the case may be) of the traction and stability of the car. Be prepared to buy some new rear tyres! :-)
      12-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
SimonB
Australia
Rep

I do like this statement "The laws of physics cannot be repealed, even with DSC."
      12-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Can't argue with that!!
      12-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i F31 M-Sport EB to MG F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
with the DTC turned off you will be in full control (or not as the case may be) of the traction and stability of the car. Be prepared to buy some new rear tyres! :-)
Also referred to as:

The tow truck button - press it and before long one will appear

The laundry button - press if you need a change of shorts

Seriously though, DSC in sport+ is so good and lets you put the car so sideways (if you want, I find it's more fun to feed in the max power that gets the rears to just start breaking away and then hold that through the corner) that the only reason I'd turn it off (press and hold traction button) would be to test my insurance coverage or at a dragstrip.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 03:02 AM   #9
Mid_Night_F20
Private
Rep
Drives: 125iM N20

does anybody know if its possible to be in sports + mode with DSC off?

When you hold down the traction control button and DSC turns off- the car seems to go back to comfort mode?? and it doesn't drive as responsively as if i was in just Sports +

This is very frustrating and limit the fun!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #10
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid_Night_F20 View Post
does anybody know if its possible to be in sports + mode with DSC off?

When you hold down the traction control button and DSC turns off- the car seems to go back to comfort mode?? and it doesn't drive as responsively as if i was in just Sports +

This is very frustrating and limit the fun!
Try holding both buttons at the same time, drinking a coffee and doing a burnout.

No its not possible
Appreciate 0