F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > ED trip help
Studio RSR

01-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
numba1guju
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 VW Jetta

ED trip help

Alright I am not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I have finally decided to sell my e46 325i and get the f30 328i.

I was wondering if I could get some help planning my ED trip? I have a week in mid-February and no clue where to go in that amount of time. I know its winter and probably the worst time to go but its a spur of the moment thing and the cheaper route for buying the car. I want to go to Amsterdam for sure but not sure what else will be realistically possible in the time frame. Thanks in advance.

Would traveling to Italy be possible in the time?

Last edited by numba1guju; 01-16-2013 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Yep, you're in the right spot.

I did ED about a year ago, you can see pics/itinerary here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605532

If you want to go to Amsterdam, then go for it. You might not want to cram too much in, besides a trip to Amsterdam. There is plenty to do in Munich for 2-3 days, and you could spend a full day (or two!) driving to Amsterdam, and back.

Things definitely take longer when you're travelling over there. You'll want to go slow, and take it all in. In other words, don't rush to do so many things. Plus, you might have set-backs like weather, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
numba1guju
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Yep, you're in the right spot.

I did ED about a year ago, you can see pics/itinerary here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605532

If you want to go to Amsterdam, then go for it. You might not want to cram too much in, besides a trip to Amsterdam. There is plenty to do in Munich for 2-3 days, and you could spend a full day (or two!) driving to Amsterdam, and back.

Things definitely take longer when you're travelling over there. You'll want to go slow, and take it all in. In other words, don't rush to do so many things. Plus, you might have set-backs like weather, etc.
Thanks, I am definitely worried about weather and driving in it without snow tires. I heard they can be rented but not sure how well that would work out. I did get all season tires but down that help.
      01-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by numba1guju View Post
Thanks, I am definitely worried about weather and driving in it without snow tires. I heard they can be rented but not sure how well that would work out. I did get all season tires but down that help.
Hopefully some of our European members can chime in here, but if you're going before May, you should really spring for snow tires.

Alternately, you could just hang around Munich for 4-5 days, and just make short trips in the car, dependent on the weather.

I lucked out, didn't rent snow tires, but you can see in my pics how we got some snow in Davos
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
numba1guju
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Hopefully some of our European members can chime in here, but if you're going before May, you should really spring for snow tires.

Alternately, you could just hang around Munich for 4-5 days, and just make short trips in the car, dependent on the weather.

I lucked out, didn't rent snow tires, but you can see in my pics how we got some snow in Davos
forgot to add when I was going sorry fixed it, I will be going in february
      01-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Just remember on Sundays a lot is closed so it's a good travel day. Don't plan more then two cities. You will be to rushed its easy to spend two days just being at the Welt.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
numba1guju
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
Just remember on Sundays a lot is closed so it's a good travel day. Don't plan more then two cities. You will be to rushed its easy to spend two days just being at the Welt.
Alrighty saving 2 days for Welt
      01-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by numba1guju View Post
Alrighty saving 2 days for Welt
I am going to warn you once you go to Europe once it gets addictive. I am jealous because it's an amazing experience. The first time it's so over whelming a real shock to the system. Your going to want to do ED Everytime you buy a car. Congrats and welcome to the ED BMW family.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
mark.gucci
Rep
Drives: Matte yellow 135i

i say you should do EVERYTHING!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
lotus87
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi 6MT

Garage List
If you do drive to Italy, be prepared to rent/buy snow tires or chains. You could get lucky and not need them, but if you're on the passes in the mountains without the right equipment, the fines & tickets will be very expensive, not to mention unsafe in your new ride. Europe has pretty strict rules, and as the driver you have to be prepared.

That said, just spent 2 weeks in Italy, including some skiing in Courmayeur. Totally great, totally worth it. Fewer tourists (except in Rome), so it was easy to see/do anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #11
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

OP, welcome and congrats...

Assuming you got your order, received your production #, paid your deposit, signed the paperwork and the car is about to be in manufacturing/production line:

In one week's time, you definitely can do 2 days in Munich, 1 day driving toward Amsterdam and enjoy the scenery along the way (although pretty much everything will be white still), then spend at least 2 or 3 days in Amsterdam... if you manage your time well, you would still have 1 day left to enjoy your car in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #12
Jackson743
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport/EBII/ED 12/5

You don't need two days for the Welt. One for the Welt and the factory tour is busy day, but two is overkill. That said, the Welt is a wonderful experience and Bavaria is just gorgeous.

It's February, you'll need to rent winter tires. Factor in the cost, they are not cheap.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

Go to Amsterdam. You don't want to mess with driving through Austrian mountain passes right now, plus Italy's more fun when it's warm. I went skiing in Austria mid January and got lucky that the roads were clear, but you run the chance of hitting a freak storm.

German law puts you at fault in any accident if you don't have at a MINIMUM M&S rated all seasons. Those equipped on your car should suffice. Just take it easy, chances are the roads will be fine, or will be fine shortly after a snow. Buy about 6 bottles of wiper fluid as cheap as you can find. They salt the SHIT out of the roads. German prices are ridiculous (euro 15 for a large bottle) because it contains glycerin. That being said, run the system empty before putting US fluid in. I've heard they don't react well in the lines together.

Anyway, a drive up northwest to Amsterdam also gives you extended opportunity on the autobahn. You'll be able to hover at around 100mph at about 3000 rpm (the maximum my dealer recommended during break in). In other countries, the top speed limit is more like 80mph

Have fun! If the weather breaks, you'll have plenty of beautiful driving. Stop at some castles on the way, whichever way you go. Neuscwanstein and Hohenscwangau (spelling) are close to Munich, but in the mountains. There's tons of others in the country. Look up the Romantic Road and the Castle Road for possible parts of your route.

One other note, it's been warm ish the last week and most snow is gone in upper Bavaria. It's usually more snowy here than to the west and north. You never know what'll happen in another few days though...

Last edited by KellerKiller; 02-05-2013 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0