F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F30 - Base 320ix Audio Upgrade
proTUNING Freaks

03-04-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
carmo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i xdrive

F30 - Base 320ix Audio Upgrade

Hi Everyone,

So I finally had enough of the horrible audio system that came with my base 320ix. The base model does not have any tweeters or amplifier and distorts playing any song that has too much bass or treble. You can play one of those well but not both it seems.

So the plan

Part 1) Install Technics 2/4 harness and pass the wires back to the trunk. This part is on hold as the harness is in shipping and I am all the way in Canada. PS: It's freaking cold here this winter! Now fast forward to Part 2!

Part 2) Install necessary wiring to support a to be purchased Alpine MRP-F300 4 channel 300 watt amplifier with signal sensing and speaker level inputs. The first thing I did was to connect the power (red) wire to the battery positive terminal and pass this wire under the trim and through one of two holes I made in the cubby like compartment of the trunk. See pictures. Do you guys think it's ok that the ground and power cables are run so close to each other?

I also connected the ground cable to one of the combo box bolts. Do you think this is a good grounding point?

Anyways this is as far as I got tonight. About one hour of work so far. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

I would suggest this grounding point...

... or direct battery ground post connection.

The problem that I have with your Combox chassis ground is that you will be sharing that chassis ground with a high powered amplifier. Although the assumption is that the Combox chassis is fully isolated electrically, nevertheless the assumption is that it is fully isolated electrically as is in that chassis location. Not to share that location chassis ground with a high power amplifier.

Perhaps is no big deal, but again there are better ground points than this one.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 02:57 PM   #3
carmo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I would suggest this grounding point...

... or direct battery ground post connection.

The problem that I have with your Combox chassis ground is that you will be sharing that chassis ground with a high powered amplifier. Although the assumption is that the Combox chassis is fully isolated electrically, nevertheless the assumption is that it is fully isolated electrically as is in that chassis location. Not to share that location chassis ground with a high power amplifier.

Perhaps is no big deal, but again there are better ground points than this one.
Hmm never thought of that Technic. I don't want to take any chances. Where is the ground point you mention? Near the battery? Thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmo View Post
Hmm never thought of that Technic. I don't want to take any chances. Where is the ground point you mention? Near the battery? Thanks for the feedback.
Left fender top.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
carmo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Left fender top.
Thanks for the advice. I am not planning on taking off the panels and my rear seat unfortunately do not fold down so I'm thinking that taking the left panel off would be a PITA. I decided to use the bolt that holds the battery in place. I thought this would look a bit neater than connecting directly to the battery post. I'll test it out and see though. Thanks for your help Technic.

One question though. Is there a way to turn on two signal sensing amps without a remote wire?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 08:09 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmo View Post
Thanks for the advice. I am not planning on taking off the panels and my rear seat unfortunately do not fold down so I'm thinking that taking the left panel off would be a PITA. I decided to use the bolt that holds the battery in place. I thought this would look a bit neater than connecting directly to the battery post. I'll test it out and see though. Thanks for your help Technic.

One question though. Is there a way to turn on two signal sensing amps without a remote wire?
Split the high level inputs into the two amps.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #7
carmo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Split the high level inputs into the two amps.
I see. Sounds easy enough. I am guessing that the signal will be split as well and I will have to adjust the gains on both amps to compensate right?

I saw a nice MRP-f500 for sale for 150$ last week. I should have jumped on it to power some future subs. I'm sure this stuff is cheaper in the US especially with what I see on the web but the exchange rate just kills any advantage I would gain with a cheaper price!

Thanks for your help...again
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 12:36 PM   #8
carmo
Private First Class
Rep

Amp Rack and Dry Fit of Amp ....check

So decided to make an amp rack to fit my new Alpine MRP-F300. I used cardboard to make the outline and then plywood which I spray painted with that rock-like spray. I didn't feel like carpeting and to be honest I've never done that before. See the completed piece with the amp mounted in the pics below. My Technic 2/4 harnesses are clearing customs right now.....can't wait!

DO you guys feel that the amp rack color is too light?
Attached Images

Last edited by carmo; 03-09-2015 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: forgot something.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 11:31 AM   #9
kennywuhk
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

I would love to do the same

I would like to order :
Technic harness
JL 6 channel
SWS underseat woofer x 2

am I missing anything ?

I have already installed 4 mid HK speakers and 2 tweeters

can someone tell me what I should do?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #10
kennywuhk
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

mine is no-amp f30 320d
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 08:40 AM   #11
monkeysaintfun
Registered
Rep
Drives: '15 318d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennywuhk View Post
I would love to do the same

I would like to order :
Technic harness
JL 6 channel
SWS underseat woofer x 2

am I missing anything ?

I have already installed 4 mid HK speakers and 2 tweeters

can someone tell me what I should do?
I am in the same boat, got the base UK audio, no tweeters, amp and a heavily eq'd output to compensate...

Thinking of getting an 4 channel amp fitted and wires run to the front door speakers and underseat subs. Then eventually upgrading the subs to Earthquake SWS8Xi and Focal IFBMW-s speakers in the doors.
Appreciate 0