F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Trunk latch issue? Do you have to SLAM your trunk shut?
proTUNING Freaks

01-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #23
ewill858
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWforLife View Post
Had this issue on a previous car (not a BMW) usually, there are rubber stoppers you can screw in and out on the trunk lid to kind of give the trunk a stopping point when closing (should make the trunk line up with the body, obv)

check to make sure your stoppers are screwed in a little further maybe? the car I had done this to was easily adjusted and closed in one try every time.

If you want a picture of what I am talking about let me know
Thanks for this helpful tip! I tried tightening the stoppers a little bit (they were pretty tight) and it did seem to help a bit. Appreciate you sharing this suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #24
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWforLife View Post
Had this issue on a previous car (not a BMW) usually, there are rubber stoppers you can screw in and out on the trunk lid to kind of give the trunk a stopping point when closing (should make the trunk line up with the body, obv)

check to make sure your stoppers are screwed in a little further maybe? the car I had done this to was easily adjusted and closed in one try every time.

If you want a picture of what I am talking about let me know
Hmm... interesting, I'll have to try that. Attached a pic of the stoppers for anyone who's curious. It should be noted though, that if you loosen it too much your trunk lid will probably rattle.

Regarding the doors, there was someone on this forum last year who reported that they get easier to close the more you slam them. So he spent 20 minutes opening and slamming the doors to "break them in".
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #25
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
Regarding the doors, there was someone on this forum last year who reported that they get easier to close the more you slam them. So he spent 20 minutes opening and slamming the doors to "break them in".
Lol, I don't think I'll ever do that.. That said I do miss my old car that closed and opened boot with a button..
      01-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #26
Hniel
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Hmmm?

Quote:
Hmm... interesting, I'll have to try that. Attached a pic of the stoppers for anyone who's curious. It should be noted though, that if you loosen it too much your trunk lid will probably rattle.

That made me wonder if anyone watching, Neighbour etc, may have thought he'd lost his marbles?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #27
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewill858 View Post
I've had to slam it pretty hard for it to latch and stay shut.

Is this normal for other F30 owners out there? I'd like to get a sense of whether this is something I should take it to have looked at.

Thanks!
No. It should with gentle to moderate pressure. Mine does, so every one else's should too.

That being said, I had a 320d loaner recently and needed to use to boot (trunk) Terrible latching. Too much opening force and hard to close. Very tinny sounding as well. Don't know why.

Anyway, it's a fairly easy service department adjustment, so yes have it looked at & adjusted to your satisfaction.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #28
Buzzman
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F26 M40i

Quote:

I had the "slam" issue too and did adjust the stoppers. It helped some.
BTW, not sure if this is your car in the pic, but where did you get the bracket to hold the Emergency triangle? I have the triangle from a previous car, but the F30 didn't come with the brackets.
Thanks
2007 E92 Space Grey - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #29
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
I had the "slam" issue too and did adjust the stoppers. It helped some.
BTW, not sure if this is your car in the pic, but where did you get the bracket to hold the Emergency triangle? I have the triangle from a previous car, but the F30 didn't come with the brackets.
Thanks
It's not my car, it's actually a photo from one of the original launch events back on Jan 2012 I think.

Here in Canada we didn't get the emergency triangle, brackets, and a whole bunch of things that US buyers get for the trunk. See my thread in the Canadian forum about this.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #30
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

F30 spring loaded hinges are sort of fighting against you as you try to close the trunk. Typical of spring loaded hinges. I find that placing my fingers on the lip just below the license plate, while closing the trunk, works well 95% of the time.

The E90, and previous 3 series, trunk used struts. Those struts actually worked with gravity once you went past 45 degrees to help you (and gravity) close the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #31
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewill858 View Post
I'd like to learn from the folks here whether you've found it necessary to really give your trunk a hard slam for it latch shut?

I've often found that upon swinging the lid shut with even moderately firm amount of force, it doesn't latch and just starts lifting again. I've had to slam it pretty hard for it to latch and stay shut.

Is this normal for other F30 owners out there? I'd like to get a sense of whether this is something I should take it to have looked at.

Thanks!
On my 335i I do have to slam the trunk a bit harder than I would expect in order to get it to latch.
This can easily be adjusted if you feel like dealing with it.
If not the dealer can adjust it for you, it's fairly easy.

I'm fine with it in my 335i. When I go in for any other needed service I'll have them adjust it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #32
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Personally, I prefer to stay away from the service department whenever possible.
Appreciate 0