F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > The elephant in the room - F30 quality
GetBMWParts

02-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #45
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarkOz View Post
I have done over 4,000klms now and this is my first 3series bimmer and the one thing that bugged me when I first drove it and still does today is the 'clunk-e-ness' of the front end over rough surfaces both in sound and feel. I like a drivers car that gives good road feedback, but this is different. It is a minor gripe and I live with it, but not what I expected from a car of this pedigree.
You should have driven my 2010 X1. That was way worse. But that's BMW unfortunately - probably due to RFT. It is getting better though.

Quote:
I have one big gripe tho and that is the halogen headlights. YES, it was my decision to go with the Xeons but the quality of the Halogens is just not up to BMW standard and I feel ripped off on this point. Much cheaper jap cars have far superior halogens as standard. HID kits on their way,...
Well now you know - you never ever pass up on Xenons in a BMW (or Merc or Audi). I don't even think BMW thinks it has a standard to uphold on halogens ....
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 05:18 AM   #46
djw007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport 335i

Quote:
is the 'clunk-e-ness' of the front end over rough surfaces both in sound and feel.
Yes, my one and only issue. The suspension in this car is appalling for day to day commuting on slow and bumpy roads. i.e. all of Sydney and 95% of my driving. The jarring feeling right thru the steering column and that hollow loose noise when going over small sharp bumps at low speed is reminiscent of an old taxi with worn shocks. Very very disappointing and sub standard for a luxury car. And i have adaptive!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 05:37 AM   #47
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw007 View Post
Yes, my one and only issue. The suspension in this car is appalling for day to day commuting on slow and bumpy roads. i.e. all of Sydney and 95% of my driving. The jarring feeling right thru the steering column and that hollow loose noise when going over small sharp bumps at low speed is reminiscent of an old taxi with worn shocks. Very very disappointing and sub standard for a luxury car. And i have adaptive!!!
Really? When i went for the test drives i thought the standard suspension was good. The adaptive is meant to be better.

I am wondering if one man's meat is another man's poison? Some complain about the lack of feedback on the F30, but this is probably the first i have read about feeling jarring. Isnt this the feedback that peole are looking for or am i missing something?

Almost wondering if i should go for another test drive to see for myself if this is an isolated or common issue?? I am about to pick up my car but didnt think the F30 was really this bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #48
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
Almost wondering if i should go for another test drive to see for myself if this is an isolated or common issue?? I am about to pick up my car but didnt think the F30 was really this bad.
Mate I don't think you should allow other's comments cloud you into thinking your car, which you have not yet picked up, is poor.

I have heaps of things to say about my F30 (and did not mince words in the Nielson Consumer Research) but at the end of the day it is still a very good car.

The ride on the F30 is exceedingly good. RFT have come a long way.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #49
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Are you sure the shipping blocks have been removed? I have adaptive and it's very soft in Comfort mode, good (firmer) in Sport mode though.

I'm sure Auckland roads are the same if not worse than those in Sydney!
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #50
djw007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
Really? When i went for the test drives i thought the standard suspension was good. The adaptive is meant to be better.

I am wondering if one man's meat is another man's poison? Some complain about the lack of feedback on the F30, but this is probably the first i have read about feeling jarring. Isnt this the feedback that peole are looking for or am i missing something?

Perhaps "Jarring" was the wrong term to use. I actually like the feedback you get through the steering and i run my adaptive in Sport more often than comfort. My issue is the loose rattly feel over sharp bumps at low speed. I've never had a car that handles or sounds that way over small bumps. Perhaps i have an issue, perhaps the adaptive needs adjusting electronically. I have to take it in for something else so i will ask them to look at it. A good test is to run your car over the small centre road markers, do that and tell me if you think it feels/sounds right. Don't get me wrong the car is still awesome. And no shipping blocks BTW..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #51
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
I feel really badly for all the owners that are having problems. I had the loose tailight issue that was fixed quickly by the dealer. I've had zero problems since. I love my car. It's far and away the best car I've ever owned. I hope that continues. I have 8400 miles, bought in Aug 2012 (2013 model).
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #52
MarkyMarkOz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328

Quote:
To be clear, I love the way the car handles, however the sound of the front end over rough surfaces makes it sound like there are things floating around loose in there somewhere or the shocks are shot, similarly with the feedback through the steering wheel sometimes. Just not what I expected in this level of car. Overall I love my car and it gives me great pleasure to drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #53
MarkyMarkOz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctg View Post
Well now you know - you never ever pass up on Xenons in a BMW (or Merc or Audi). I don't even think BMW thinks it has a standard to uphold on halogens ....
Yes I do know now. However there is a BMW badge on the car and if the company cant keep everything they fit to the vehicle up to the BMW standard then they should not fit it. Those lights are just taking the piss and makes one feel ripped off.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #54
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctg View Post
I don't even think BMW thinks it has a standard to uphold on halogens ....
It's clear to me that BMW purposefully made the halogen lights poor & ugly so as to 'coax' the buyer into Bi-Xenons.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #55
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 LCI M3 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
It's clear to me that BMW purposefully made the halogen lights poor & ugly so as to 'coax' the buyer into Bi-Xenons.
+1

Nice conspiracy theory there. The halogen day time running lights looks poorly thought out. Would've being better to just leave them off during the day and only ever use the low beams.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #56
MarkyMarkOz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
If it is, then that is a lose/lose strategy. I wouldn't call them ugly, in comparison to the Xeons side by side yes, but on their own, no.

Off topic - Know someone locally who has just fitted the JB Stage1 to their 328 and is very happy.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 01:40 AM   #57
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

These blind eyes.. can't do without xenons no more.

MMMM JB Stage 1... more power
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #58
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Know someone locally who has just fitted the JB Stage1 to their 328 and is very happy.
Shhhh, it's a secret, but I'm told yes, he is very happy with it. Every F30 328i owner should get one.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #59
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
MMMM JB Stage 1... more power
Go for it. You will be very happy
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #60
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by screenshot View Post
+1

Nice conspiracy theory there. The halogen day time running lights looks poorly thought out. Would've being better to just leave them off during the day and only ever use the low beams.
+1 right back at ya!!!
Some people say the halogen DRLs look like welled up eyes, ready to burst out into tears. I say they ARE welled up eyes, ready to burst into tears. Yes I agree they should not be on EVER!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #61
MarkyMarkOz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Shhhh, it's a secret, but I'm told yes, he is very happy with it. Every F30 328i owner should get one.
Oh you know someone too? The torque increase is immediately noticable and makes Comfort mode so much more driveable, and in Sport Mode it simply produces a big silly HP grin. V nice and great performance/value $$.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #62
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
V nice and great performance/value $$.
Nothing (other than another boost tune like AFE) comes close to giving the car a bang for bucks power & torque boost. Super easy to install (and remove) and, as you posted, gives immediate results.

Perhaps a 4" catless ER downpipe (nice looking - shame it's hidden) will give the car a decent performance boost, but at a somewhat higher cost.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #63
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Quote:
+1 right back at ya!!!
Some people say the halogen DRLs look like welled up eyes, ready to burst out into tears. I say they ARE welled up eyes, ready to burst into tears. Yes I agree they should not be on EVER!
I thought the halogen drl's look great in person when I saw it on the road. I didn't realise it was the F30 at first and took a few seconds to realise.

I always felt xenons they should be std on a luxury car - particularly the 328. Understand they may want to differentiate the entry level 3 series such as 318d and 320i. The previous 325i came with xenons

Last edited by CKau; 02-28-2013 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #64
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Ok lets do a handsup who's going for the tune..I had a brief look at the manual in terms of setting it up.. did my head in
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #65
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
Ok lets do a handsup who's going for the tune.
me
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 02:15 AM   #66
MarkyMarkOz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Nothing (other than another boost tune like AFE) comes close to giving the car a bang for bucks power & torque boost. Super easy to install (and remove) and, as you posted, gives immediate results.

Perhaps a 4" catless ER downpipe (nice looking - shame it's hidden) will give the car a decent performance boost, but at a somewhat higher cost.
Agreed, exhaust would be a logical next step however nowhere near the same Performance $ value. The most enjoyment for the money spent there would be on sound IMHO (and some good torque and throttle response value given mostly road use). Intake seems a waste of time at this point

BTW - It took 10mins to install the tune from the time of disconnecting the battery -ve lead to reconnecting it. Simple. Connector #1 is not used on the AU cars and has no detriment to performance.
Appreciate 0