F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Retrofitting front fog lights, Possible?
Extreme Powerhouse

06-25-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
Fille
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 520d -15

Retrofitting front fog lights, Possible?

Hello people

I have a few questions regarding the front fog lights on a sport line

I was one of the first to order and receive the F30 here in Sweden.
The problem is that I did not realize that the fog lights were actually an option or part of a specific "visibility package" which at the time I deemed unnecessary (included rain sens. folding rear headrests and auto-dim rear view). This seriously wouldn't be a problem if BMW had not taken the time to make contours around the housing which makes it look super cheap up-close when there's just a plastic cover...

Now i'd like to retrofit the fog lights and make them work. I have a pair of fog lights which are ready to be dropped in: that is not problem, the problem is making them function.

The current lightning switch doesn't have the button for it so that will likely need replacing (pretty cheap) but what else is needed? The lamps need a power cable presumably but the relay is most likely in the lightning switch.

I have searched far and wide but haven't struck gold yet, there seems to be very few people with this problem. As of now i'm probably one of the VERY few who drives around without the fog lights on a sport line.

Very frustrating
      06-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

go behind the bumper and see if you have a wire dangling somewhere for actual fog lights
if you do then you can most likely buy the fog lights and the switch and code your car to make them work 100% oem

if you cant find anything chances are that you don't but that doesnt mean you cant wire in a manual switch to turn them on.
I've wired fog lights for all sorts of cars i can teach you how if needed.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 04:58 AM   #3
Fille
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
go behind the bumper and see if you have a wire dangling somewhere for actual fog lights
if you do then you can most likely buy the fog lights and the switch and code your car to make them work 100% oem

if you cant find anything chances are that you don't but that doesnt mean you cant wire in a manual switch to turn them on.
I've wired fog lights for all sorts of cars i can teach you how if needed.
I have looked but can't really find any wire that looks like it fits the fog light connector.

Although there are some what looks like dead cables from the main harness that are plugged into some weird thing under the hood. It looks like an old SCART-cable with wires going into it. You might be able to connect those to the fog light. I can attach images of the "thing" later and you can judge for yourself.
      06-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fille View Post
I have looked but can't really find any wire that looks like it fits the fog light connector.

Although there are some what looks like dead cables from the main harness that are plugged into some weird thing under the hood. It looks like an old SCART-cable with wires going into it. You might be able to connect those to the fog light. I can attach images of the "thing" later and you can judge for yourself.
it should look something like this:

If you don't have it then get this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Light-Wiring-...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

there's a wiring diagram there if you follow it it's pretty straight forward.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 05:29 AM   #5
Fille
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
it should look something like this:

If you don't have it then get this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Light-Wiring-...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

there's a wiring diagram there if you follow it it's pretty straight forward.
I do not have that part.

Thanks a lot for the link. One question though, since it has a relay and switch in itself, will it still be possible to use the button inside the car if I install that one? Having to draw the light switch into the cabin separately seems like a lot of work, if even possible.
      07-02-2014, 01:14 AM   #6
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fille View Post
I do not have that part.

Thanks a lot for the link. One question though, since it has a relay and switch in itself, will it still be possible to use the button inside the car if I install that one? Having to draw the light switch into the cabin separately seems like a lot of work, if even possible.
its actually very easy if you don't have a manual car.
but that's up to you.

It is possible to have a 100% oem option
but you will have to find out where the other end of the plug in the picture goes to, plug it in and code your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 04:18 PM   #7
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

i ran a part search against the main harness for the the EU Spec and US Spec and it is the same part number. The Foglight electrical connnectors have to be in there somewhere..
Appreciate 0