F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT Retrofit Issues
Extreme Powerhouse

06-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #1
ryantpayton
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i xDrive Rhodonite

NBT Retrofit Issues

Hey everyone,

I'm kinda new to this forum and new to this retrofit but basically I completed the retrofit from CIC to NBT on my 2013 BMW 335i xDrive F30

The issues I am having (in order of important):

Mic not working
Aux not working
Emergency Call Malfunction

The programmer already coded the car but he said that there was a little but more to do. He did state that the SOS Malfunction would disappear after coding.

As for the Aux I am stumped but the Mic I made a diagram so it might be easier to explain my thoughts:

The NBT Female that is bypassing the OEM Female connector has two wires in the 1 and 3 position. The OEM Female connector has a wire for all three positions. As for the mic it has a pin for the 1 and 2 position.

So if I connect the NBT Female connector to the OEM mic then it only hits pin 1. I feel like this is an issue. Can I just preposition the wires in the connector and if so which ones do I need to connect?

I tried to show this in the image above.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:04 PM   #2
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantpayton View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm kinda new to this forum and new to this retrofit but basically I completed the retrofit from CIC to NBT on my 2013 BMW 335i xDrive F30

Mic not working
Aux not working

The programmer already coded the car but he said that there was a little but more to do. He did state that the SOS Malfunction would disappear after coding.

As for the Aux I am stumped but the Mic I made a diagram so it might be easier to explain my thoughts:

The NBT Female that is bypassing the OEM Female connector has two wires in the 1 and 3 position. The OEM Female connector has a wire for all three positions. As for the mic it has a pin for the 1 and 2 position.

So if I connect the NBT Female connector to the OEM mic then it only hits pin 1. I feel like this is an issue. Can I just preposition the wires in the connector and if so which ones do I need to connect?

Thank you!
Just guesses on why 1 might have 3 wires and another 2.

3 wires could be for a balanced mic (+ - and ground) which seems like overkill for an auto

Or

3rd wire is voltage for mic

Can you test the lines to determine if any DC voltage on one?

Or test for impedance of ground and negative.

Again, just guesses.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:05 PM   #3
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Mic not working
Aux not working

Thank you!
BTW, where did you purchase the NBT and what did it cost?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:38 PM   #4
ryantpayton
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Here you go:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-f30-f31-.../122016168185?

Also I will test that later. Also waiting on coder to get back with me on the same issues. He is away right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 05:29 PM   #5
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here you go:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-f30-f31-.../122016168185?

Also I will test that later. Also waiting on coder to get back with me on the same issues. He is away right now.
Hmmm... You realize that DAB Radio is not used in North America? AM/FM has different system as well - HD Radio - and Sirius/XM are not in GB?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 08:48 PM   #6
ryantpayton
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

GBP is just the currency posted by the seller. It doesn't come with DAB. Mine has AM/FM and HD Radio although not Sirius/XM
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 08:57 PM   #7
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
GBP is just the currency posted by the seller. It doesn't come with DAB. Mine has AM/FM and HD Radio although not Sirius/XM
Was going by the listing stating it had DAB.

You note that you do not have Sirius/XM. Does that mean it does not have the chips - or you do not have it activated?

Or does it mean the Satellite Chipset is not in the NBT unit?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #8
ryantpayton
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

His words are "NBT with Integrated DAB radio receiver also available, at extra cost. Contact me for details."

When you purchase it from him, it doesn't come with it. You have to specially order this from him at an extra cost.

As for the Sirius/XM I thought it was built in. Not sure about that though.

He's coding the rest of Saturday for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 07:21 AM   #9
speed608
Private First Class
Malawi
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Hi This is how i connected the mic on my F30 when i was doing the retrofit, but i only used one mic instead of two and haven't any problems.

pin 1 from mic to pin 17 in NBT
pin 2 from mic to pin 22 in NBT

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #10
ryantpayton
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed608 View Post
Hi This is how i connected the mic on my F30 when i was doing the retrofit, but i only used one mic instead of two and haven't any problems.

Hope this helps.
Thank you I am going to try this. Do you know how to hook up the other mic? Which pins?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #11
tomsab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48

pin 1 from mic2 to pin 18 in NBT
pin 2 from mic2 to pin 19 in NBT
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #12
rkspeck33
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 428xi - F32

My MIC also isnt working. Does anyone have a Picture of exactly what you guys are talking about? The New MIC cable comes out of the NBT and I ran it to my MIC. Would I need to change the Connector the OEM Mic? (The NBT came from the Seller already with this wire and connector.

I also heard coding could turn it off or on from a another Thread. Really need to get his MIC working but Im not knowledgeable enough to know exactly what PINs you guys are referencing.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #13
ryantpayton
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspeck33 View Post
My MIC also isnt working. Does anyone have a Picture of exactly what you guys are talking about? The New MIC cable comes out of the NBT and I ran it to my MIC. Would I need to change the Connector the OEM Mic? (The NBT came from the Seller already with this wire and connector.

I also heard coding could turn it off or on from a another Thread. Really need to get his MIC working but Im not knowledgeable enough to know exactly what PINs you guys are referencing.
Hey man I got both my mics working in my retrofitted NBT.

Are you looking to get just one working or both?

And you said the seller already has this connector? You should be able to disconnect the driver side mic and plug in the new connector and it should just work.

This pins I was referring to were for moving the second mic from the trunk to the head unit for 2 operational mics.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 03:20 AM   #14
BigSam00
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 2012

Quote:
Hey man I got both my mics working in my retrofitted NBT.

Are you looking to get just one working or both?

And you said the seller already has this connector? You should be able to disconnect the driver side mic and plug in the new connector and it should just work.

This pins I was referring to were for moving the second mic from the trunk to the head unit for 2 operational mics.
Hi, so how did you get your mic to work? Just the one for the driver. Don't even know about any other mic.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 03:24 AM   #15
BigSam00
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSam00 View Post
Hi, so how did you get your mic to work? Just the one for the driver. Don't even know about any other mic.
DONE.

For mine I just had to switch the mic wires around, hitting pin 1&2.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 01:25 AM   #16
Jaimearce
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSam00 View Post
DONE.

For mine I just had to switch the mic wires around, hitting pin 1&2.
Hi im having the same issue mic is not working and haven emdrgy call malfuntion can you please post a picture for your set up
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 01:27 AM   #17
Jaimearce
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed608 View Post

Hope this helps.
Hi im having the same issue would you mind to take a picture of your set up to see if that works for me? Thanks
Appreciate 0