F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Warranty issues with after market rims ?
proTUNING Freaks

01-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
sukhparm.7
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Warranty issues with after market rims ?

Can i be denied warranty claim for suspension or any other related components by having aftermarket rims and tires ??
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 12:45 AM   #2
Sales@wheelsdc.com
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Highly doubt that
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 01:12 AM   #3
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 is a federal statute that is intended to protect consumers against deceptive warranty practices such as denying a claim based upon an aftermarket part that is unrelated to the warranty claim. So, the act will protect you from a denied claim if the aftermarket part(s) did not cause, directly or indirectly, any damages that you file a warranty claim on.

Most warranty companies will treat you right if you mention the Act. However, some may deny a claim based upon aftermarket parts that are unrelated to damages. This happened to me once. The state insurance commissioner agreed that the warranty company was wrong, but would do nothing to help me. They suggested that I take the company to court. I didn't have the money to do so, so I ended up paying for repairs out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #4
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

I'd say that wheels/tires could be involved in suspension damage if you're not running stock sizes. If you wheels/tires are too wide and they rub on suspension parts then, yes, they could deny your warranty claim (depending on what the problem is). If you're running stock sizes then I'd say there's no problem.

Also, Magnuson-Moss Act is a USA thing, won't apply in Canada, which is where OP is from, yes? I'm sure they have a similar regulation, but I couldn't say for certain...
      01-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #5
sukhparm.7
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnecr View Post
I'd say that wheels/tires could be involved in suspension damage if you're not running stock sizes. If you wheels/tires are too wide and they rub on suspension parts then, yes, they could deny your warranty claim (depending on what the problem is). If you're running stock sizes then I'd say there's no problem.

Also, Magnuson-Moss Act is a USA thing, won't apply in Canada, which is where OP is from, yes? I'm sure they have a similar regulation, but I couldn't say for certain...
Am running stock size. I just bought aftermarket for winter as didn't want to pay crazy price at dealership.
Yes i am in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #6
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

IMO, you should have no problems with warranty claims, if they come up.