F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW F30 Trounces C-Class In First F30 Comparison Shootout Review
Studio RSR

12-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #45
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
I'm not THAT familiar with Autocar's taste, but based on the fact that they picked the C class over the E90 previously, I would guess that they care more about the overall package than which car feels more "connected" (i.e. C&D). In that sense, it's not surprising that they LOVE the F30. It really does seem like a better car than the E90 in most regards, with the exception of the steering feel and engine smoothness.

Those are the two biggest things that BMW fanboys talk about endlessly here. The Merc is a few years old and the F30 isnt even here yet. Which car would you expect to be better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
The Mercedes C class is still an amazing car. What you have to consider is the fact that every automotive review will focus on the sporting aspects of the car, and Mercedes will never be as driver-focused as BMW when it comes to their standard models.

The C-class, in isolation, and for 99% of the people that buy it, will be a perfect small luxury sedan that meets all of their needs.

You also have to remember the C-class just received an LCI (refresh), and the BMW is essentially a new car, hence the F30 moniker.

I test drove 2012 c 350 sport sedan two weeks ago, and I have to say, it was an awesome car in every sense of the word. I prefer my BMW, but don't buy into typical online or magazine car reviews, as many of us don't typically encounter a skidpad or slalom course on the way to the grocery store. Drive the car for yourself, then formulate an opinion
Great post...open minded and logical.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #46
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpamg View Post
soon (probably 3 more years). it looks damn good as well. (I was in a paid MB focus group where they actually showed the physical prototypes to us. to be honest, it looks way better than the F30.)
I think the current C-class is the nicest in the segment for looks, it balances sport and luxury without being too far each way. They just don't perform as well as the BMW and until 2012, were vastly underpowered considering what they cost. And they had really bad interiors.

I think this new 3-series is approaching the sport/luxury balance I look for in a luxury brand sport sedan. Can't wait to see what they look like in person.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #47
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Overall, I am liking the new 3er. Only thing I am worried about is the steering feel and response from the new electric steering.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #48
DaveL
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 coupe msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
I think the current C-class is the nicest in the segment for looks, it balances sport and luxury without being too far each way. They just don't perform as well as the BMW and until 2012, were vastly underpowered considering what they cost. And they had really bad interiors.

I think this new 3-series is approaching the sport/luxury balance I look for in a luxury brand sport sedan. Can't wait to see what they look like in person.
Someone finally agrees with me..C Class is a fine looking car. Here comes the bashing.LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #49
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
W204 seems like a very feminine car. That or an old mans car.

Not the C63
Most 3 sedans and 1/2 of the coupes that I see up here are driven by Women..........I only know 1 guy that drives a 3 series sedan... 1. Must be the same down there?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #50
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
Most 3 sedans and 1/2 of the coupes that I see up here are driven by Women..........I only know 1 guy that drives a 3 series sedan... 1. Must be the same down there?
prob 50/50 sedans, and most guys drive coupe
      12-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #51
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ‘22 Model 3

The 3 series makes the C look like a pig.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #52
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
[/B]

Those are the two biggest things that BMW fanboys talk about endlessly here. The Merc is a few years old and the F30 isnt even here yet. Which car would you expect to be better?
I don't think it's fair to call only the detractors (and I'll include myself here as well, although I am 90% positive about the new car) of the F30 "fanbois". If anything, we are critical of whatever direction we perceive BMW is heading towards, as opposed to operating under the assumption that BMW can do no wrong. I'll grant you though that some here tend to repeat the same criticism of the steering and engine over and over again with little to no firsthand experience. Even I find it annoying. I'm going to wait until I experience it myself, and THEN start being annoying.

But as an example of fanboism, the recent Autospies review video was the most shameless POS I've seen in a while. And yet, 95% of the replies to that video are overwhelmingly positive. Why? Because most people here want to believe that the new car will be awesome, and that stupid video echoes what people want to hear. To me, that is real fanboism.

P.S. I also think that the C class looks better on the outside than either the E90 or the F30. The interior used to be its weakness, but they REALLY fixed that issue now, and I'd say the interior is ALSO better looking than that of the E90 or the F30. There.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #53
DaveL
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 coupe msport

Quote:
So what is a mans car?? Let me guess...Corvette?? Charger?? Camaro?? Truck?? Let's get some insight here any suggestions??
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #54
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

[QUOTE=Leaker;10942245][QUOTE=Propagator;10939294]I'm not THAT familiar with Autocar's taste, but based on the fact that they picked the C class over the E90 previously, I would guess that they care more about the overall package than which car feels more "connected" (i.e. C
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #55
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
Someone finally agrees with me..C Class is a fine looking car. Here comes the bashing.LOL
Not bashing, but I never found the rear of the C-Class to be attractive. I don't even know if I've seen a refreshed version in the flesh so I can't comment on that. However, what I can tell you is that I thought the E90 was horrendous until they came out with the LCI. E92 looks good in both pre and post LCI, but not the E90. I also never liked the interior of the Merc. I know that they've changed it, and I haven't been in a new one yet. I did last year drive an A4 which had a beautiful interior though and was a really nice looking car as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #56
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Let's say the Merc is handsome in a conservative way, the 3 is more contemporary looking... The Merc would look way better with the CLS design IMO...
      12-09-2011, 04:33 AM   #57
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

No surprise, the merc is a POS IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #58
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
I don't think it's fair to call only the detractors (and I'll include myself here as well, although I am 90% positive about the new car) of the F30 "fanbois". If anything, we are critical of whatever direction we perceive BMW is heading towards, as opposed to operating under the assumption that BMW can do no wrong. I'll grant you though that some here tend to repeat the same criticism of the steering and engine over and over again with little to no firsthand experience. Even I find it annoying. I'm going to wait until I experience it myself, and THEN start being annoying.

But as an example of fanboism, the recent Autospies review video was the most shameless POS I've seen in a while. And yet, 95% of the replies to that video are overwhelmingly positive. Why? Because most people here want to believe that the new car will be awesome, and that stupid video echoes what people want to hear. To me, that is real fanboism.

P.S. I also think that the C class looks better on the outside than either the E90 or the F30. The interior used to be its weakness, but they REALLY fixed that issue now, and I'd say the interior is ALSO better looking than that of the E90 or the F30. There.
All I was getting at was 99% of people here talk about steering feel and drivetrain as being industry standards....if those are gone then whats left?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #59
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
So what is a mans car?? Let me guess...Corvette?? Charger?? Camaro?? Truck?? Let's get some insight here any suggestions??
I get teased for driving a "house wifes" car. I would say 95% (up here)are driven by housewives or sub 30 yr old men.I've never seen a woman driving a B7S4...some drive the B8.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #60
theArgiope
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

BMW attracts offensive, but very good drivers.

MB attracts defensive, but very good drivers.

Audi attracts former BMW and MB owners who want to try something new, but not too different.

Then there are M owners, like myself, who think everyone else is rediculous for debating the virtues of 3 vs C vs A.

Thanks for reading... carry on!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #61
umpqua5
Drives: '11 F10

Quote:
[/B]

Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
The Mercedes C class is still an amazing car. What you have to consider is the fact that every automotive review will focus on the sporting aspects of the car, and Mercedes will never be as driver-focused as BMW when it comes to their standard models.

The C-class, in isolation, and for 99% of the people that buy it, will be a perfect small luxury sedan that meets all of their needs.

You also have to remember the C-class just received an LCI (refresh), and the BMW is essentially a new car, hence the F30 moniker.

I test drove 2012 c 350 sport sedan two weeks ago, and I have to say, it was an awesome car in every sense of the word. I prefer my BMW, but don't buy into typical online or magazine car reviews, as many of us don't typically encounter a
Could not agree more. I am amazed and the number of threads on the 3er forums that end up being a bash fest for no reason at all. Ultimately, someone is a troll, or a fanboy and there's way to many "haha" after calling the other car a pig or whatever. There should be an auto-delete for any post that ends with a "haha". How exactly does the F30 make the Benz look like a pig? How can you complain about Infiniti G's tail lights when they're freaking the same as the F10/F30? Is it really that amazing that someone likes the looks of the benz better?

I stayed within the BMW family when I had to sell my '07 E92 Sport a week ago. But not being sure that I care for the new F30 front and a weird new way of allowed options or that navi that just sits there like an after thought, I got a 535. I like the C350 but the headroom was cramped and I did not like the new headlight treatment of the A4. It's OK fellas if everyone is not in love with a piece of metal you think of as art. We don't have to turn into a douche to discuss it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #62
kev10
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpqua5 View Post
Could not agree more. I am amazed and the number of threads on the 3er forums that end up being a bash fest for no reason at all. Ultimately, someone is a troll, or a fanboy and there's way to many "haha" after calling the other car a pig or whatever. There should be an auto-delete for any post that ends with a "haha". How exactly does the F30 make the Benz look like a pig? How can you complain about Infiniti G's tail lights when they're freaking the same as the F10/F30? Is it really that amazing that someone likes the looks of the benz better?

I stayed within the BMW family when I had to sell my '07 E92 Sport a week ago. But not being sure that I care for the new F30 front and a weird new way of allowed options or that navi that just sits there like an after thought, I got a 535. I like the C350 but the headroom was cramped and I did not like the new headlight treatment of the A4. It's OK fellas if everyone is not in love with a piece of metal you think of as art. We don't have to turn into a douche to discuss it.
I couldn't agree more. I own a 2012 X5 and 2012 C300 after recently sold my 2002 Audi A4 and 2004 Lexus RX350.

BMW and MB provide very different feels. Before I purchased the C300, I test drove 328i, Infiniti G25, and new Audi A4. Compared with C300, 328i is better on handling, acceleration, and braking. But C300 is quieter and seemingly runs smoother. In addition, it provides a nice and luxury feel (somebody calls that boring though) and it is great for my daily commute. After a long day, I prefer to be in a relaxing mode, not in a sporty feel. People on the forum can continue to argue how great the look of F30 will be, but from the photos I think I will prefer C-class.

But don't get me wrong. I like BMW and I do enjoy my X5 a lot on weekends. I just think that it is funny that a lot of people here treat other brands like shits. After all, C class still outsold 3 series (but this is not to say that the new F30 won't turn the course).

This past month, Diamler AG sold 28,255 units in the USA. Of those, 8,358 were C classes. During the same period, the BMW group sold 26,271 units. Of those, 7,568 were 3 series.
Appreciate 0