F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Paint protection: opti-coat
Studio RSR

08-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #67
TWD
Australia
Rep
Drives: All sorts of Cars

If it's such a strong protecting product, why do you need 3 coats?

While researching the testing of a similar product (not opticoat), it was clearly shown that 1 coat had the same protection effect as 3 coats.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #68
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drk280 View Post
So any detailers that are recommended in the Sydney or Newcastle areas ?
In sydney i use reflect effect.
Have had Opticoat applied on both my 135i and Q5 and its awesome..
much better than other paint protection products i have used in the past...

for a cheaper alternative i have used zaino before and lasts about 6 months- a year but costs heaps less and you can do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 06:07 AM   #69
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

While researching the testing of a similar product (not opticoat), it was clearly shown that 1 coat had the same protection effect as 3 coats.
you tried it yet raj?
if not why not buy a sample and do some testing against your other products.

See how it compares against the other products you have.

I personally have had gtechnic applied and it was shocking. only lasted 6 months.

the opticoat on the 135i is about a year + now and still going good.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #70
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijet View Post

I personally have had gtechnic applied and it was shocking. only lasted 6 months.

^ that's some great real life feedback re: opticoat
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #71
TWD
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijet View Post
you tried it yet raj?
if not why not buy a sample and do some testing against your other products.

Re GTechniq - very true.

Re OptiCoat - I haven't tried this product. I've heard and read good things about it.
The only thing I don't agree with are comments like "it's basically a clear coat" and "it's permanent" which I have seen around the place on various forums.

I might get a sample and give it a go though
I have some other new products which I will also be testing soon!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #72
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

I've never heard of needing 3 coats of opti-coat.. Sounds like he's making up for the loss of business of you showing up every few months for a polish and wax

As far as the clear coat comments, I believe it's the best way to describe it vs. a wax or sealant to differentiate it to the average shmuck (rightly or wrongly). It apparently (I'm no chemist) bonds more tightly. This (again apparently) results in a *virtually* permanent layer. Yes, the word "permanent" is loaded, but the longest test I've seen has been 3 years - coupled with the fact that the only way to remove it is to compound it off.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #73
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:

Why so tetchy, Raj?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #74
TWD
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
I've never heard of needing 3 coats of opti-coat.. Sounds like he's making up for the loss of business of you showing up every few months for a polish and wax

As far as the clear coat comments, I believe it's the best way to describe it vs. a wax or sealant to differentiate it to the average shmuck (rightly or wrongly). It apparently (I'm no chemist) bonds more tightly. This (again apparently) results in a *virtually* permanent layer. Yes, the word "permanent" is loaded, but the longest test I've seen has been 3 years - coupled with the fact that the only way to remove it is to compound it off.
Yep. I still think the only way to describe it is as a sealant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
Why so tetchy, Raj?
Not tetchy, just entitled to an opinion on this open forum
I'm not saying OptiCoat is a bad product at all, just confused about why multi-layers are applied.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #75
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not tetchy, just entitled to an opinion on this open forum
I'm not saying OptiCoat is a bad product at all, just confused about why multi-layers are applied.
Ah, I see. Never said you weren't entitled to an opinion mate. The interwebz is a FFA, I learned that long ago!

I have a detailer who is a perfectionist and wanted to give my car some extra lovin' when he saw it thought how good the MW paint would come up

One coat is the norm and does the job very well on other cars I've seen with the treatment, but who am I to argue when he says he wants to do a triple coat?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #76
TWD
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
Ah, I see. Never said you weren't entitled to an opinion mate. The interwebz is a FFA, I learned that long ago!

I have a detailer who is a perfectionist and wanted to give my car some extra lovin' when he saw it thought how good the MW paint would come up

One coat is the norm and does the job very well on other cars I've seen with the treatment, but who am I to argue when he says he wants to do a triple coat?
No probs mate! From what I can see, it looks like a great job
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #77
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Getting an opticoat done this Friday. Any last moment advice?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 04:17 AM   #78
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
Getting an opticoat done this Friday. Any last moment advice?
No mate, you should be right. Opti-coat dealers have to agree to a certain standard in order to apply the product, so if you're using a detailer that's come well referred in the first place you should end up with a nice protectant shortly

Advice from my guy was to avoid touching it for a few days and ideally let it cure for 1-2 days prior to taking it out if you can.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #79
Drk280
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

So you have to leave the car with him for 2 to 3 days? I'm 1 hour drive from Sydney so driving back home with a freshly done opticoat would ruin it?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #80
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
We'll it's been a few weeks now and I have to say in pretty stoked with how the opticoat is repelling dirt. I've put 1500km on the car in the month I've had it and it's barely dirty!

Will wash after I move house tomorrow I think.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #81
Drk280
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Was reading on reflect effect website and they also apply opticoat to wheels to repell the brake dust. Anyone had this done and with how well it works?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #82
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

The opticoat on my car got delayed by a week due to rains and high humidity last week.
The guys just finished doing the opticoat in my garage. The entire package took two of them nearly 7 hrs to complete, which included a car wash, clay, polish, IPA wipe down and finally opticoat.
Wheels, plastic, glass (except front windshield) and paint were opticoated.
The car will RIP in my garage for at least 48hrs.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #83
Ectopic
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Just had my car done. Wash, one stage polish, opticoat, interior nanolex.... took about 13hrs... time will tell how it holds up...
      11-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #84
asus389
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I've had it on my e90 for over a year. Its pretty great, repels a lot of stuff, acts as a layer of protection, etc.. but it will still marr/swirl if you are careless with washings. Those swirls/marring will then be in the opticoat layer and you can/will need to polish them to get rid of them. So to the poster who was asking about being able to use automatic washes, I'd say the answer is no. You should still do 2 bucket/grit guard/microfiber or touchless washes.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #85
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

TWD: I must try this so called opticoat at one point...during my f30's life. Just to provide you with an update, my swissvax is suprisingly still offering good protection after 2 months, considering I washed my car like twice on rainy weekends as well (may see how long my first coat lasts thinking it may go for more than 3 months at this rate)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #86
beemermans
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

My cousin bought 2 new cars recently and last wednesday he had them both paint protected, one was coated with opticoat and one with wolfs hardbody. I have just seen them and I got to say, I dont know how long it lasts but the wolfs stuff is much glossier and he agrees.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #87
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Can someone answer the BIG question?

After having spent the past three Saturday mornings diligently (2 bucket) washing my car, why is it that immediately afterward when I take the car out for a drive do the birds have to do their business with MULTIPLE direct hits on my car?

Come on!!!! This happened again on Saturday. My wife and I went for a drive to Masters & Oakleigh South. Got out of the car, closed the door and BANG, there they were. On my roof, on the door and even on the boot.

By the way, Morrie from Reflection Perfection detailed my car and finished it off with Wolf Chemicals' Hard Body. The surface is so smooth & glossy. The gloss really shows up under street lights at night. Very easy to wash the car.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #88
beemermans
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

Yes I just got off the phone with Morrie, to make sure he can put some time aside for when I pick up my F30. He's a very busy guy! I literally want to drop it to him from the dealership to put wolfs hard body on mine also.
Appreciate 0