F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Whats the deal with the 4 GC ride height ?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-13-2016, 05:06 PM   #45
tc328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328

Garage List
2007 3  [0.00]
Yup, mine is high and drives like a boat
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 03:02 PM   #46
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Not if you're driving though six inches of snow.
Plus, they make the 3 series GT if you need an ugly lifted car.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 11:21 PM   #47
435_a1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 GC M-Sport MPE,JB4,DP

Garage List
i have the adaptive M Suspension on mine which is not xDrive, and it looks considerably lower than the xDrive F36's. I still want to lower it though....
2015 BMW 435i Gran Coupe M Sport Package - Estoril Blue, 19"Wheels,M-Sport Brakes,M-Suspension,M-Perf Exhaust, Comfort Access, Lighting,Technology, Side/Top/Rear Cameras, JB4 Stage 2 w/ Bluetooth Rev 3 ioS, VR-SF Downpipe, , Full Spoiler Kit +Diffuser, 3M Black Gloss Roof/Side+Rear Reflectors/Tail Lights/Headlight Eyebrows Wrap,35%+20% tint, Black Kidney Grilles,12mm F/18mm R BMS Spacers, BMW door Logo Projectors, Black 435i Emblem,Coded
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 11:31 PM   #48
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
This is an old discussion point. Unless you live in Alaska or a similar area with heavy winters or snowy hilly areas, RWD with proper snow tires is fine. Your brother's M4 even with AWD if it were available would still slip in those conditions. Tires are the limiting factor other than ground clearance.
Sure RWD with snow tires is fine but AWD still provides more traction any way you put it. You think BMW will make the new M5 in AWD because it makes no difference? You think that AWD 0-60 times are faster because it makes no difference? If in the dry AWD makes a difference then it definitely makes a difference in the wet and in the snow. Why do you think rally cars are also AWD? In any conditions where the car has a tendency to oversteer on slippery surfaces the car is much more easily controllable with AWD and that is why rally cars are AWD.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #49
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMsport View Post
Sure RWD with snow tires is fine but AWD still provides more traction any way you put it. You think BMW will make the new M5 in AWD because it makes no difference? You think that AWD 0-60 times are faster because it makes no difference? If in the dry AWD makes a difference then it definitely makes a difference in the wet and in the snow. Why do you think rally cars are also AWD? In any conditions where the car has a tendency to oversteer on slippery surfaces the car is much more easily controllable with AWD and that is why rally cars are AWD.
Tires are the determining factor in traction, bottom line. There is no question that a RWD car with snow tires has more traction than an AWD with all seasons.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2016, 11:03 AM   #50
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott
Quote:
Tires are the determining factor in traction, bottom line. There is no question that a RWD car with snow tires has more traction than an AWD with all seasons.
You didn't say anything about awd on all season and rwd on winters tires in your first statement nor did anyone else so it is assumed that we are talking about rwd vs awd systems with same tires. Don't change the debate now because your previous statement was incorrect.
That is like me saying awd is faster on a track. Then telling you that the awd car is on race tires and the rwd car is on snow tires in a player statement.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 11:57 AM   #51
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Quote:
You didn't say anything about awd on all season and rwd on winters tires in your first statement nor did anyone else so it is assumed that we are talking about rwd vs awd systems with same tires. Don't change the debate now because your previous statement was incorrect.
That is like me saying awd is faster on a track. Then telling you that the awd car is on race tires and the rwd car is on snow tires in a player statement.
AWD benefits cars with too much power and standing start, where it will help on tire spins.

On a sub 300hp car the performance gain is really minimal. It will affect multiple aspects of the car like weight distribution, stopping distance, etc.

For winter driving, what I don't like is how the companies market the AWD. They gave the false sense of you need AWD for snow, not winter tires, at least in the northeast. Needing AWD or not depends on your winter condition, there is no one size fit all option.

Mild winter = RWD
Moderate winter = RWD + Snow
Bad winter = AWD + Snow
Hell winter = 4X4 + Snow
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2016, 11:58 AM   #52
tc328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328

Garage List
2007 3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Your statement here is not 100% true either...Have you drove a rwd with winters up a hill before? i dont think so!

The awd with AS tires will walk you with 1 finger on the steering wheel and repeat the process 5 times before the rwd can make it up the hill

However...winter tires will brake on a dime where as the AS will not
Appreciate 2
      06-08-2016, 12:04 PM   #53
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
'15 sportline 704 RWD and the gap is just fine. If it were lower, I'd really drag the nose on driveways/parking bump stops.....
      06-09-2016, 08:08 AM   #54
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
You are taking my posts out of context. It's clear that in this thread I am saying tires are the determining factor in traction not the drive configuration.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #55
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You are taking my posts out of context. It's clear that in this thread I am saying tires are the determining factor in traction not the drive configuration.
I don't think I was the only one who took it out of context. Maybe it was your statement. Anyways it is all cleared up now anyways. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #56
Sayzar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i GC 2020 X4M Comp

Quote:
I don't think I was the only one who took it out of context. Maybe it was your statement. Anyways it is all cleared up now anyways. Cheers.

who cares we all have nice freaking cars
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #57
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Very cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGO 530 View Post
Nothing some KW Coilovers can't correct.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 10:36 PM   #58
Ragnarok
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M-sport

I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread, but does anyone know if the wheel gap on the xdrive coupe is better than the xdrive gran coupe? I want to lower mine and am looking at the stock m sport suspension from an xdrive coupe, but I can't figure out if that's going to solve the gap.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 12:18 AM   #59
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

this is the best photo I have stock.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #60
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

And that's why I refuse to ever get xdrive. Here's my F32 stock ride height vs xdrive F36 stock height. Saved money on coil overs off the bat. I get 1 week of snow or less per year here, so its RWD for life.

Last edited by Zanity; 06-22-2019 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0