F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F30 Radar Detector Hardwire DIY
ARMA SPEED

08-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #45
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

your interior looks amazing!
      08-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #46
azwillnj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Not sure about F30, but on F10, you can hardwire it into the Mirror Housing,
I just finished doing this about 20 mins ago, and it works perfectly. I followed these instructions: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=radar

I made my own 'invisicord' with the leads from a LED and some shrink wrap tubing.

WE ARE!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #47
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Thumbs up A-Pillar removal

I recently installed my V1 using SAVVY as the power source. The main part of this DIY that I needed to refer to was the A-Pillar cover removal. It worked just as described in the OP but I wanted to add some detailed pics of the cover so others may get a better picture of what they are pulling and yanking on. Basically you need to pull out the top portion of the A-Pillar cover until the metal spring insert lets go. Then the cover needs to either slide up towards the headliner or you could pull it straight out with a little more force as the plastic clips should release that way too. That is what I ended up doing for the plastic clip half way down the pillar and then I was able to slide the cover up and off the remaining plastic clip. To reinstall I removed the remaining plastic clip from the pillar and installed it in the cover. Then I was able to press all three clips straight into the pillar. Hopefully the pics will give everyone a clear idea of what to do. Thanks to the OP!
Attached Images

Last edited by XGoober; 08-22-2013 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #48
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoober
I recently installed my V1 using SAVVY as a the power source. The main part of this DIY that I needed to refer to was the A-Pillar cover removal. It worked just as described in the OP but I wanted to add some detailed pics of the cover so others may get a better picture of what they are pulling and yanking on. Basically you need to pull out the top portion of the A-Pillar cover until the metal spring insert lets go. Then the cover needs to either slide up towards the headliner or you could pull it straight out with a little more force as the plastic clips should release that way too. That is what I ended up doing for the plastic clip half way down the pillar and then I was able to slide the cover up and off the remaining plastic clip. To reinstall I removed the remaining plastic clip from the pillar and installed it in the cover. Then I was able to press all three clips straight into the pillar. Hopefully the pics will give everyone a clear idea of what to do. Thanks to the OP!
Very nice addition. Good stuff. Keep the DIY's coming .
      09-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #49
josb0513
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 328i Xdrive

The one "add a circuit" I bought is big and only fits into fuse #162 (with 10acc fuse. Not sure if that's correct).
Then I noticed its powered on 24/7. Which fuse can I use that will only power up when i start the car?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #50
jws360
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Wow, that is very helpful! Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoober View Post
I recently installed my V1 using SAVVY as the power source. The main part of this DIY that I needed to refer to was the A-Pillar cover removal. It worked just as described in the OP but I wanted to add some detailed pics of the cover so others may get a better picture of what they are pulling and yanking on. Basically you need to pull out the top portion of the A-Pillar cover until the metal spring insert lets go. Then the cover needs to either slide up towards the headliner or you could pull it straight out with a little more force as the plastic clips should release that way too. That is what I ended up doing for the plastic clip half way down the pillar and then I was able to slide the cover up and off the remaining plastic clip. To reinstall I removed the remaining plastic clip from the pillar and installed it in the cover. Then I was able to press all three clips straight into the pillar. Hopefully the pics will give everyone a clear idea of what to do. Thanks to the OP!

Wow, that is very helpful! Thanks!!

Your pics make it easier to understand. Thanks to both you AND the OP!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #51
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Thanks so much for this write up. I recently purchased an M235i, and due to it being so new there isn't a DIY for this yet. Your DIY worked as a perfect starting point for me. Your move to use a 16 gauge wire from the trunk up to the passenger area was the exact inspiration I needed to get my project accomplished.

Thanks for blazing the trail dd1981
      03-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #52
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Quote:
You removed the pillar huh? I didn't have to when I did mine. I just slid the wire under it. Took about 5-10 min max.
      03-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #53
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
Thanks so much for this write up. I recently purchased an M235i, and due to it being so new there isn't a DIY for this yet. Your DIY worked as a perfect starting point for me. Your move to use a 16 gauge wire from the trunk up to the passenger area was the exact inspiration I needed to get my project accomplished.

Thanks for blazing the trail dd1981
Congrats on the M235i. A wonderful machine. Glad the DIY also worked for you. Enjoy the car I know I would
      01-02-2015, 07:55 PM   #54
davesoly
Rep
Drives: 328i (F30) & 911 Carrera S

Any Chance, there is a good bolt to use as a ground location in the trunk? I'm a little reluctant to use the bolt under the headliner because I had trouble getting a good ground in my e90. My old detector would routinely cut out for the first 3 min after starting up my car on cold mornings, and I'm pretty sure it was related to a bad ground connection. Did you sand the material around the bolt at all in your install?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #55
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesoly
Any Chance, there is a good bolt to use as a ground location in the trunk? I'm a little reluctant to use the bolt under the headliner because I had trouble getting a good ground in my e90. My old detector would routinely cut out for the first 3 min after starting up my car on cold mornings, and I'm pretty sure it was related to a bad ground connection. Did you sand the material around the bolt at all in your install?
I can't say off hand if there is a good bolt in a specific location, but if you move the trunk carpeting there will be more then likely a few choices. And of course if you route the ground from the right side, the battery is right there so you can always use the negative terminal off the battery.

I have never heard of anyone having an issue until now with the moon roof bold used as ground. I've used this approach in my E90 and my current f30. I'm thinking you may have had a loose power connection, this would nose likely be the culprit in the power cuts you experienced. Ice had an issue with a bad connection before and I hit bumps and my 8500ix would shut off until I corrected it.
      01-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #56
davesoly
Rep
Drives: 328i (F30) & 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
I have never heard of anyone having an issue until now with the moon roof bold used as ground. I've used this approach in my E90 and my current f30. I'm thinking you may have had a loose power connection, this would nose likely be the culprit in the power cuts you experienced. Ice had an issue with a bad connection before and I hit bumps and my 8500ix would shut off until I corrected it.
Thanks for the tips. I seem t be having trouble with the dome lamp removal. I'm prying on the metal tab and pulling on the plastic, but it doesn't seem to want to pop out. Is there a trick to that part?

**Update: I figured it out. Was prying on the wrong side of the tab, which I couldn't see before using a light.

Last edited by davesoly; 01-03-2015 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #57
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesoly
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Thanks for the tips. I seem t be having trouble with the dome lamp removal. I'm prying on the metal tab and pulling on the plastic, but it doesn't seem to want to pop out. Is there a trick to that part?

**Update: I figured it out. Was prying on the wrong side of the tab, which I couldn't see before using a light.
The f30 is a bit tricky to get down. Glad you figured it out.
      04-11-2016, 08:03 PM   #58
Xccelerate
Back in a BMW
Rep
Drives: 21 X5M Comp

Question I was going to pull my ground from the chassis ground behind the driver dash but I can't get a socket into that section. Can anyone advise alternative grounding point upfront on the driver side.

Much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #59
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xccelerate
Question I was going to pull my ground from the chassis ground behind the driver dash but I can't get a socket into that section. Can anyone advise alternative grounding point upfront on the driver side.

Much appreciated
Not sure where that ground is located but most of us use the moon roof 10mm screw in the overhead console. It's silver as far as I remember. Then the wires are stowed overhead as well for the hardwiring.
      06-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #60
Yutaka
Rep
Drives: BMW 328D

what if My F31 doesnt have the homelink on the mirror is fuse 146 still good for the connection?
i am trying to hardware the dash cam

if anyone can answer much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:18 PM   #61
Yutaka
Rep
Drives: BMW 328D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yutaka View Post
what if My F31 doesnt have the homelink on the mirror is fuse 146 still good for the connection?
i am trying to hardware the dash cam

if anyone can answer much appreciated
tried anyway seems working
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #62
lagwag0n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2104 BMW 328d (F30)

Quote:
You saved my butt. After seeing the images I knew exactly how to remove it. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
Jadar1750.50
      03-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #63
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

Another V1 Hardwire in an F36

I've now hardwired my V1 in my last 4 BMWs (an E39, an E92, an X3, and an X1) and posted about it some time ago. Did it the same way each time. Removed the dome light housing, found the power wire for the home link (usually green/white or green/brown), hooked into it and grounded using an existing bolt into the frame. Ran the wire over the headliner and out by the little light behind the visor. Mounted the V1 on the visor, with hardly any wires sticking out. Worked perfectly in each car.

About to attempt the same thing in a 430 Gran Coupe F36. Anybody aware of any pitfalls I should be looking for?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #64
Operrottao
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i Xdrive

Question

Dejan,

Did u have issues when u wired your lights that it would keep the headlights on all the time instead of going on and off with the light. Seems to affect performance of light sensor in the mirror
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #65
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operrottao View Post
Dejan,

Did u have issues when u wired your lights that it would keep the headlights on all the time instead of going on and off with the light. Seems to affect performance of light sensor in the mirror
Wired my lights? I'm not sure I'm following..

I didn't tap into any wiring m, but I went directly into the fuse box and added a fuse bus that powers the radar detector. I have had zero issues with it for 5 years.
      05-16-2017, 10:59 AM   #66
MichaelD84
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Great write up. I did this with my passport 8500 with hardwire kit.
I would love to see some ideas where others have installed the remote button.
Appreciate 0