F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Modifications for Insurance
Extreme Powerhouse

10-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #23
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Ha ha, problem is.......the very people that buy new cars........are the ones that really appreciate the 'new car' thing. I told myself 2 years ago I was going to 'keep this one', here I am waiting for another I am going to 'keep this one'.
Shhhh!! Don't say that. I normally get the urge to seek out new car brochures at about the 2 year stage and there's no way I could retain any credibility with my wife who actually bet me I couldn't keep this car for more than 3 years!

This one will be different....
      10-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #24
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
But we can take the sting out of the depreciation if we either keep the car a longer time, to amortise the costs over more miles, (that is business sense applied to a car as much as we can). Or buy nearly new, where the depreciation curve, particularly with loads of high cost options, makes most financial sense.

My head ruled this time, a £59k motor with less than 6k miles on the clock, loaded with goodies, at over 40% off of list.

That makes the depreciation journey "much more comfortable".

HighlandPete
Thats a good price for what you get, there are a couple on BMW AUC similar at the moment.
I see its a heavy old car - doesnt look that much quicker to 60 than your old 330d? (I'm sure you had a E90 330d LCI?). How does the handling compare?
But has lots of toys nonetheless and must be a "proper" BMW experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #25
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Thats a good price for what you get, there are a couple on BMW AUC similar at the moment.
I see its a heavy old car - doesnt look that much quicker to 60 than your old 330d? (I'm sure you had a E90 330d LCI?). How does the handling compare?
The F10 5 Series is a great car, I considered one until I saw the 5 series tax added to the options. For the exact same option it costs more in a 5....that is downright dishonest if you ask me, why should a DAB radio, reverse cam, etc cost extra because it is in a 5 series instead of a 3?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #26
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
Shhhh!! Don't say that. I normally get the urge to seek out new car brochures at about the 2 year stage and there's no way I could retain any credibility with my wife who actually bet me I couldn't keep this car for more than 3 years!

This one will be different....
Until LCI comes out,
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #27
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
I had the E91 pre LCI 330d, so the 535i is a quicker car. Not that I'm chasing the performance thing, or I'd have be in an Alpina E61 B5. The 5-series is definitely a proper BMW from my perspective, never really settled with the 3-series, even with trying to set it up to ride and handle better, but it did follow my E39 540i touring. I found that the near perfect car, so a hard act to follow. I was always trying to convince myself the 3-series was "good enough".

Handling of the F11 is far superior to the 330d, much faster and confidence inspiring for driving through the twisty stuff. The 3-series was always a nervous car in my estimation. Tried a lot of them, but nothing seemed to drive as I'd want a BMW to drive.

Personally I put much of the F11's agility down to Adaptive Drive, as the F10 or F11 without it, isn't in the same league.

My wife summed up the difference between the 3 and 5, "the 3-series is an adolescent, the 5-series is a grown up". I tend to agree.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #28
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport -

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
I contacted my insurance company before accepting my policy to clarify what they meant by modification. I was told that anything fitted at the factory was not classed as a modification so they didn't need to know.

I know in the event of a write off after the first year they'll screw me for the lowest possible amount they can give me which is why I took out GAP with the full replacement cover so I have that little bit more reassurance. I just look at it as another option to add onto the list

Options are mostly worthless when it comes to trade in time but that's all part of the depreciation. I intend to enjoy my car with all the options rather than worry about how little I'll get back for it when I come to trade it in. Live for today and enjoy the car while you have it, depreciation isn't worth worrying about

Totally agree with you, what's the point in buying a new car if you cant enjoy it with the options you want without worrying about trade in values and depreciation.. life's way to short.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781108
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #29
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb79 View Post
I'm with you Pete apart from the more research I did the more
Gadgets I wanted especially HUD. For an F30 this seems a rare option. My personal feeling is that if you decide to buy new you might has well enjoy the benefit of choosing your spec and depreciation is inevitable. I hope six years on my pain will be softened, no point thinking of changing before that for me.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781108
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #30
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

Its similar to doing up your house, when experts say don't spend too much as you won't get your money back.

That's if you look at it from a pure financial perspective. If you make the most of it and enjoy it, then it's hard to say it wasn't worth it.

I also intend to keep mine for a good few years. But I've got a feeling I'll be changing sooner than I think. Car engines and technology seem to be advancing so quickly at the moment.
      10-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #31
UK_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvy View Post
Its similar to doing up your house, when experts say don't spend too much as you won't get your money back.

That's if you look at it from a pure financial perspective. If you make the most of it and enjoy it, then it's hard to say it wasn't worth it.

I also intend to keep mine for a good few years. But I've got a feeling I'll be changing sooner than I think. Car engines and technology seem to be advancing so quickly at the moment.
I think BMW build technology platforms, a bit like Apple. If you can stretch to Pro Nav and get the new system then hopefully it will still be current and
updateable in years to come. I agree with your sentiments, cars like houses should be enjoyed and lived in. The feeling of driving a new car and enjoying the latest technology justifies it for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #32
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

I was shocked/suprised when the salesman told me the i3 is being launched next year.

If it's anything like what we've seen from the concept i3. The next few years will be very interesting indeed.