F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Audio Install Damage
Extreme Powerhouse

06-24-2016, 02:01 AM   #1
trooper1414
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Audio Install Damage

While most of you might laugh it out because I had a professional install a bavsound kit in my car...yes now to think of it I should have done it myself. So here is the potential issues with the install

1. Passenger side trim door handle is moving..has a lot of play.
2. Passenger side window creates a noise when going up...the sound starts when the window is 3/4th closed , all the way to the top and then while.rollimg it dowm
3.rear passenger door handle trim not installed correctly either - This is a minor minor issue.

The shop has offered to take another look.and try and fix it. Should I take it.back.to them or take it to another shop or must the courage to do it myself. Sorry for the rant but I do need guidance
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 02:23 AM   #2
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

I'd at least give them the chance to inspect the damage and try to fix it.

If they're unable to fix it, I'd make them agree to them paying the repair at an authorized BMW dealer...
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 06:04 AM   #3
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Totally not cool, but they should get a chance to fix it or pay for the repair.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 07:05 AM   #4
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Hell no don't give them another shot, they will either fuck more shit up or try to rig it so you don't notice. If you went to a shop that specializes in that and that's what happened I wouldn't trust them again, taking out interior trim should be the easiest part of that job
      06-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
Hell no don't give them another shot, they will either fuck more shit up or try to rig it so you don't notice. If you went to a shop that specializes in that and that's what happened I wouldn't trust them again, taking out interior trim should be the easiest part of that job
Problem with that is if he goes directly to a dealer they could outright refuse to pay the bill since they didn't have the chance to inspect it themselves...

I'd supervise them on the second visit and demand to have the trim as it was before and in case of failure, have them agree to pay the repair bill.
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #6
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlv View Post
Problem with that is if he goes directly to a dealer they could outright refuse to pay the bill since they didn't have the chance to inspect it themselves...

I'd supervise them on the second visit and demand to have the trim as it was before and in case of failure, have them agree to pay the repair bill.
you have a point, but if it was me the damage has already been done of course the dealer will charge you but they will do it right. I feel like whether you watch them or not the other shop is only going to make matters worse
      06-24-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
trooper1414
Private First Class
Rep

I don't think these guys will pay for the repair, but they did offer fixing it and refunding my installation charge. I am nervous taking it back to them. And they are a reputed shop as in they have great reviews. So very very nervous. On the bright side they did fit 2 of my doors really well.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #8
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

I think you need to get full refund and take your car somewhere else.
I don't think they deserve a shot at fixing anything if they were unable to do it the right first time. I was in the same situation years ago where local detailing shop wanted to do things right (the second time) and I refused just stating that they had 9 hours to do so - sorry but my time is valuable to me. Cut your loses and run away.

If it was only one issue, I'd give them benefit of the doubt, but seems there's more than one and that they simply didn't know or care to do it right.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #9
trooper1414
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
I think you need to get full refund and take your car somewhere else.
I don't think they deserve a shot at fixing anything if they were unable to do it the right first time. I was in the same situation years ago where local detailing shop wanted to do things right (the second time) and I refused just stating that they had 9 hours to do so - sorry but my time is valuable to me. Cut your loses and run away.

If it was only one issue, I'd give them benefit of the doubt, but seems there's more than one and that they simply didn't know or care to do it right.
Thats what i am leaning towards. But the shop has been responsive at the very least. They are insisting I get it in and also get a refund. Do you guys suspect any severe damage? Being a noob, I almost feel i don't deserve to do any mods and not fit for this stuff at myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 12:16 PM   #10
MikeATL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP, SO/Manual

This is exactly why I haven't touched the system in my car. I don't trust shops that work on 100's of different cars to know the nuances to not screw my car up or hack together a solution that makes it "look" acceptable only to fall apart or annoy the crap out of me a week/month/year later. I don't trust myself enough to do it either knowing I'd also apply said hacks :-)

You paid someone to do it OP, hold them accountable for their work. If it's a reputable shop they'll want happy customers.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 01:05 PM   #11
trooper1414
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeATL View Post
This is exactly why I haven't touched the system in my car. I don't trust shops that work on 100's of different cars to know the nuances to not screw my car up or hack together a solution that makes it "look" acceptable only to fall apart or annoy the crap out of me a week/month/year later. I don't trust myself enough to do it either knowing I'd also apply said hacks :-)

You paid someone to do it OP, hold them accountable for their work. If it's a reputable shop they'll want happy customers.
So I am at the shop, and the only thing I got back was, we haven't touched the window. They are more than willing to offer me a refund for the work but not fix the window. Which leaves me with

1. Take it to BMW and admit that my window is messed up and they will charge me the expense . This might also impact my warranty wouldn't it...at least for the audio and door / window ? Would it not?
2. Take it to a reliable third party to get this fixed, which I don't want to anymore.

Anymore suggestions, I'll be more than willing to listen. At this point I m desperate
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 01:22 PM   #12
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

I'm not 100% sure, but I think none of this should impact your warranty.

As I said previously, I'd get it done properly by a reputable shop, be it BMW or someone else. The shop you went to originally, clearly doesn't appreciate your business or your time (or your property while we're at it). It'll cost you a bit, but you'll have a piece of mind knowing it's all done properly and BMW shop is likely to stand behind their work and/or fix it again if needed. Make sure you have some sort of paper trail from this shop "refund for.... xyz", and also asked whichever shop you go to to check the work they have done.

Do not reward bad business by giving them "more business/your time", get your refund and run away, just my $0.02.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #13
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeATL View Post
This is exactly why I haven't touched the system in my car. I don't trust shops that work on 100's of different cars to know the nuances to not screw my car up or hack together a solution that makes it "look" acceptable.....
I'm sure there are great shops out there that know what they are doing.
Few that I've gone to are run by young owners and more of a "fast and furious" type of employee and clients (who in turn leave great online feedback as long as there's enough bass getting pumped from the trunk subwoofer ). It's not exactly rocket science to do a nice clean install, but it's tricky to find a good reputable shop.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 02:32 PM   #14
trooper1414
Private First Class
Rep

I don't mind just getting this done the right way even if it means going to bMW. Final verdict, who should i take this to?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 03:50 PM   #15
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 540ixMsport

I wish the OP the best of luck. Would hate to be in that situation. But is this really such a complex install? Can someone whose done it comment on what might have gone wrong? Appreciated since I'm thinking of doing it. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 04:39 PM   #16
trooper1414
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
I wish the OP the best of luck. Would hate to be in that situation. But is this really such a complex install? Can someone whose done it comment on what might have gone wrong? Appreciated since I'm thinking of doing it. Thanks.
Believe me this is not a complex install, I was stupid enough to not trust my instinct to do it. I would have taken more care of my car. In any case, I am just not sure what to do. The window assembly is behind a huge piece of foam. They told me the foam has to be removed to fix it. Is that normally the case?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 04:41 PM   #17
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper1414
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
Believe me this is not a complex install, I was stupid enough to not trust my instinct to do it. I would have taken more care of my car. In any case, I am just not sure what to do. The window assembly is behind a huge piece of foam. They told me the foam has to be removed to fix it. Is that normally the case?
Have you watched the install videos? If not I'd start there. Just look up Bavsound on YouTube.
      06-24-2016, 05:08 PM   #18
mcleod52
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 30i-G01 2021 - Alpine White

For the window noise, I'd take the panel off myself and see what is up. I am thinking maybe they didn't put the rubber spacer on the speaker or maybe the wire wasn't pulled through enough and is making contact with your window. Review the bavsound YouTube video for your car and they usually have some suggestions to prevent window rubbing and such.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 01:27 AM   #19
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

The shop did not put things back in properly. I suspect the door lock wire may have gotten caught by something due to negligence, creating the loose door handle and possibly putting pressure on the window regulator - hence the noise when the window moves up and down.

You should watch the Bavsound video and take apart the passenger door yourself to see what's wrong inside. I think it's likely a very simple issue that can be fixed in 30 minutes. But of course, get the refund first so at least you have your money back.