F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Changing songs from steering wheel
proTUNING Freaks

09-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #45
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Is it possible to somehow code this? I.e. ability to move across folders using steering wheel controls. All we need is a button to "move up" one folder.

Last edited by rallybull; 09-07-2013 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #46
JesseS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3/15 DA-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
Is it possible to somehow code this? I.e. ability to move across folders using steering wheel controls. All we need is a button to "move up" one folder.
Not unless BMW already has a feature like that built in and it's just not enabled for some reason (which is unlikely).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #47
rxander
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 Alpine White

When I plug in my ipod nano it works fine scrolling through my wheel in between songs. Everything else I tried = failed. Make sure random is checked in settings using y cable.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 12:47 AM   #48
DJHakim
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i xDrive

simple fix, BMW?

have the first 2 items in the thumb wheel song list be "Previous" and "Next", no matter what the multimedia source. If you are in random mode, then you skip to next random track. If not, then you skip to next listed track (which you could see as item 3 in the list). Boom, ISTA/P update.

It actually is a nuisance to reach over to the far side of the dash to skip tracks (randomly). Usually I have to keep one hand off the steering wheel (arm stretched out) to skip several songs in a row.

E90 steering wheel layout with cruise ctrl stalk was much better ergo design. They could have just added the thumb scroll to that basic layout.
E90 (2009 328xi): ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, Alarm, Shades, SG Metal [Ret]
E90 (2006 325xi): ZSP, ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, CA, Xenons, Shades, CrO3 Exhaust, TiAg Metal [Ret]
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #49
sophiamaria
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
It doesn't seem to be an Apple thing. I have a sandisk USB drive as one source, and a good old CD as another. On both, I have Random turned on. The only way I can move to the next Random song seems to be using the arrow buttons on the dash. Nothing on the wheel for that, though my E90 had it. Am I missing something?
Using the back and forwards button on the dash is the never fail solution, which you have discovered works.

To be totally honest, I find the whole system temperamental. When I roll through the toggle on my steering wheel, it doesn't change songs 100% of the time. If I'm having a good day, it will let me. Otherwise I have to fiddle around quite a lot. In my car, I'm playing a playlist, it will sometimes revert to shuffle all. Especially bad news if you are in the middle of a very good song! So - you are not alone! It is a fiddly, clunky system.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 05:40 AM   #50
CESIUM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 X30i Msport, Carbon/Oyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
BT "browsing" (which is what would give you the feature you are talking about) requires AVRCP 1.3 and this is a relatively "new" technology. By "new" I mean that it has only been deployed and actually working correctly on media players in the past couple of years (early iOS 5s didn't implement it correctly).

Car design is a time intensive process and thus they often lag behind the latest tech a bit. However, BMW has most certainly updated with the latest MY tech and now fully supports a working AVRCP 1.4 implementation (which also gives you additional metadata like cover art).

That being said you might want to make sure you've installed the latest updates. Some updates are user installable and I recall reading that BMW has recently released an update specifically for bluetooth+smartphones. It may have fixes necessary to correct AVRCP 1.3 and IIRC, it does sound like your manufacture date falls within the supported range for the update. Whether you have the pre-requisite options I obviously cannot say.
What build date would that be? Are talking about BMW.com/update or any other update?
Appreciate 0