F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > ambient lighting problem
GetBMWParts

03-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
jtskariah
Bud Light General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CS Limerock Grey

ambient lighting problem

While installing my bavsound speakers I accidentally pulled on the ambient lighting connector for the front passenger door causing it to break. I told BMW what happened and they replaced the ambient lighting with the newest version (for my 2015 f30) after replacing I am noticing that all the other doors are brighter than this door. Is there a reason for this? I want to bring it back to the dealer but am concerned that the lighting will stay this way.
Appreciate 1
E36 PWR541.00
      03-22-2017, 07:18 AM   #2
jtskariah
Bud Light General
United_States
Rep

anyone have any ideas? The dealer is unsure what to do so any help is appreciated, whether it be to order s specific part or do something else to make sure the brightness is at a higher level
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Ensure that the replaced trim line and the year of build of your car is the same or at least not older.
At the F32 they changed the quality and other specs at the ambient light and older lines have the same effect.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      03-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
jtskariah
Bud Light General
United_States
Rep

I'll be sure to bring that up with them.. they told me it may be a wiring problem and the lights may not be getting enough voltage
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #5
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtskariah View Post
I'll be sure to bring that up with them.. they told me it may be a wiring problem and the lights may not be getting enough voltage
This is not correct; the LCI changed ambient lighting, they should know better...voltage? Damn, lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #6
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Ensure that the replaced trim line and the year of build of your car is the same or at least not older.
At the F32 they changed the quality and other specs at the ambient light and older lines have the same effect.
Excellent advice as the part has been changed
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 07:48 PM   #7
jtskariah
Bud Light General
United_States
Rep

right I heard the LCI changed it but my car is 2015 the year before LCI. I will add some pictures for reference to the lighting difference
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #8
jtskariah
Bud Light General
United_States
Rep

DRIVER FRONT DOOR AMBIENT LIGHT-FUNCTIONING

PASSENGER REAR DOOR AMBIENT LIGHT-FUNCTIONING

****PASSENGER FRONT DOOR AMBIENT LIGHT-DIM**** (AFFECTED LIGHT)

I know this isn't the worst thing that could happen but I am very OCD-looking at one door significantly dimmer than the rest really bothers me. My appointment is scheduled for Monday morning so hopefully these suggestions will help find the solution to this problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 03:32 AM   #9
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

The LCI ambient lighting is much more brighter than the previous ones. They had tried a software update at mine with the effect, that the light was brighter than before for a few weeks. After every relighting it turns darker and darker and ended up into the same low level at my complaint.
So, this isnt a problem of the installed light-lines but the hardware to steer it.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 06:53 AM   #10
jtskariah
Bud Light General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
The LCI ambient lighting is much more brighter than the previous ones. They had tried a software update at mine with the effect, that the light was brighter than before for a few weeks. After every relighting it turns darker and darker and ended up into the same low level at my complaint.
So, this isnt a problem of the installed light-lines but the hardware to steer it.
So you are saying I should make sure they install the ambient lighting system from the LCI models? Will this be ok even though my f30 is not LCI (my 335i is year 2015)? When they replaced the hardware last time I told them to use the newest module as well but am unsure what they actually ordered or installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #11
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

I say nothing to you what to do. Just telling you, that the change of the ambient light elements at the F32 had changed 2015 and since then this problem is obsolete. Ask your dealer about the F30.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #12
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So you are saying I should make sure they install the ambient lighting system from the LCI models? Will this be ok even though my f30 is not LCI (my 335i is year 2015)? When they replaced the hardware last time I told them to use the newest module as well but am unsure what they actually ordered or installed.
After seeing this, you must have another problem going on in there. I'm kicking myself in the ass for joking about the voltage now but do you have a multimeter to test it?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 06:55 AM   #13
jtskariah
Bud Light General
United_States
Rep

Update:

My car has been with BMW for over a week now, they replaced the lighting tube, the LED module (with the new part number), and the bracket. I just got a call this morning from my service adviser stating the problem did not change at all, the other 3 doors are still significantly brighter than this door and they are stumped. The shop foreman is still thinking it may be a voltage issue and may try something with that. Not sure what to do here honestly.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 01:43 AM   #14
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

I assume that theres a mistake with resistors and the modules which are steering the ambient light. After a SW update the lights were bright again and then start turning down to zero after each light switch on.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 06:28 AM   #15
valley_nomad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Update:

My car has been with BMW for over a week now, they replaced the lighting tube, the LED module (with the new part number), and the bracket. I just got a call this morning from my service adviser stating the problem did not change at all, the other 3 doors are still significantly brighter than this door and they are stumped. The shop foreman is still thinking it may be a voltage issue and may try something with that. Not sure what to do here honestly.
It is very easy to identify if it is caused by voltage. They can just apply 12V to the light to see if its brightness reaches the normal level.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 06:57 AM   #16
jtskariah
Bud Light General
United_States
Rep

So they were able to resolve the lighting problem and the orange light is as bright as all the other doors...

But now there is another problem

When switching from classic to sport lighting on idrive (orange to white light) all doors light up white except the light they fixed (front passenger door). The orange light works perfectly when in classic mode though. When in sport lighting no light comes on affected door at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 12:49 AM   #17
valley_nomad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
So they were able to resolve the lighting problem and the orange light is as bright as all the other doors...

When switching from classic to sport lighting on idrive (orange to white light) all doors light up white except the light they fixed (front passenger door). The orange light works perfectly when in classic mode though. When in sport lighting no light comes on affected door at all.
You make sure the light has more than two wires in its connectors as it is supposed to have control for dual colors. If not, they got the wrong parts. If the light does have the wires for white light just try put 12V power on it and check if the white light works that way. If the white light works, then either control unite connected to light or that connection is broken. If the white light doesn't work even when being connected directly to 12V, the light is bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 01:57 PM   #18
NXXf32
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i xDrive Coupe

Quote:

Was this covered by bmw? I'm experiencing the same issue on my '18 f32.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 02:33 AM   #19
jzeex1
Registered
Rep
Drives: X125i

Rear seat ambient lighting not working properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXXf32 View Post
Was this covered by bmw? I'm experiencing the same issue on my '18 f32.

Hi,
I have just picked up my X125i 2018 mode this week. Last I noticed the same. The ambient light on the driver side rear door is very very low compared to other three doors. Today I changed the settings to modern, lighting on all 4 doors works fine. It is just on the classic/ orange light this doesnt work. Any ideas what might be wrong?
This is the first bmw car im driving, not sure if this is a fault there are settings that I need to change.

Appreciate any help/ ideas.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 03:08 AM   #20
RoopD
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 Alpine Weiss

I have a F30 (2014) with ambient light

Now my right backdoor ambient light is not turning on.
The rest is going on nicely.

What can this be and how to fix it?

Thanks
Roopd
Appreciate 0