F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 320i ER Downpipe does NOT fit
GetBMWParts

02-01-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
TomDenmark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' 320i ActiveFlex

320i ER Downpipe does NOT fit

So installed the ER downpipe today, and it took me very long time because the ER DP and original cat is not the same diameter where it leads to the exhaust.

I think they should tell the costumer this so you could be prepared when installing. This is not a easy install when you have to use welding, angle grinder and such to barely fit it together.
I'm disappointed ER!

So how does it sound? I got no fucking idea. I have too much leakage from the fuckup fitment I tried fix which I did not have very much success with.
I hope it will become less noisy when leakage have been fixed. Right now I find it embarrassing to press the accelerator.

Performance gain? I would think so, don't know how much but feels like turbo is spooling up much faster.

Didn't get any CEL or codes. But I guess that is thanks to the JB4.
      02-01-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
f30luxline
e92 - 335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: thisonetimeatbandcamp

I have many products from ER and all of them have been top quality units with great fitment. Customer service is wonderful, Fred is an outstanding business man.

Did you measure the pipe size? I had to expand the exhaust piping ever so slightly using a pipe expander to get that nice slip fit. This is not a manufacturing issue from ER.

Did you get the catless version? If so, be prepared that 50ish seconds on a cold start you will get the sound of a leak but will go away. This is not a leak. See my exhaust post for a sound clip. I think this is caused from one of two things or a combination of both.

1 - With a catless version there is more turbulence in the DP when exhaust gases are cold.
2 - There is now a bottleneck as the DP is now 3" and the exhaust is also 3" but the connection is only 2.5". I will be getting this bottleneck removed and will be able to make the determination on being true or not.

Have you contacted ER? The professional thing would be to make contact with them first before trying to throw them under the bus.

Major leaks as you are describing is not going to go away from carbon build up, a small leak might though.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
You could have just gotten the wrong one, I remember something about there being a different version for different piping sizes.
      02-02-2015, 12:26 AM   #4
TomDenmark
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I believe there is only one type for the N20.

I got the catless DP and there is no way in hell that is going to fit. Didn't need to measure it to figure that out when trying to fit it.

Yes maybe a pipe expander could do the trick? But who has this kind of tools laying around a home?

I know of another guy who had the same problem, but I hoped this issue had been corrected since he bought his, but it turned out to be the exact same thing.

Now I will take my car in to a workshop and have them figure out how to fix it. I just hope I don't need to take of the DP from the turbo which is time consuming and hard to do IMO.

I will agree that at cold start it is exceptional loud and becomes better after a minute or two. But that doesn't fix the leaking poor fitment I had to make.
      02-02-2015, 01:18 AM   #5
Pro
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Im surprised you have this issue.
I say this because i bought one back in 2012 when it was first released. The product was shit. The ER downpipe diameter was too small and the pipe too short.
i installed it anyway because the workshop was already charging labour and i didnt want to hassle a return of the product. Regretted that decision because a few days later the exhaust was rattling like crazy because the downpipe is too short and doesn't connect properly,.
So i sent it back to ER but they wouldnt refund a cent because the product is "used"

So far the reviews of the ER chargepipe and intercooler are very sketchy on fitment as well.

Take this as a lesson learned as i did. Stay far far away from Evolution Racewerks products
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #6
f30luxline
e92 - 335i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro View Post

So far the reviews of the ER chargepipe and intercooler are very sketchy on fitment as well.

Take this as a lesson learned as i did. Stay far far away from Evolution Racewerks products

I stand behind all my ER products and will back ER as a great company to work with that sells quality products.

I also have the ER CP and IC, both fit great with "0" issues during install. I have posted reviews for most the installs I have done.

To each there own. Everyone has there opinion. Sorry ER hasn't provided you satisfaction.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #7
TomDenmark
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Leason learned I guess.
Just wish they would at least inform that its not a perfect fit for the 320i.

I've been cutting in both the DP and exhaust pipe to make it fit so the car is drivable again.

Did not expect this kind of trouble, now I need to go to a workshop to get a permanent fix done.

I also read reviews about the IC that does not fit.
I'm so sceptical now that I'm not going to try to install my ER CP. I think it will do better as some sort of christmas decoration.
      02-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #8
The Bolt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi m sport

its unfortunate and actually CRAP that op had this much trouble. i'm in the market also for a dp and have to say that I was planning on steering away from er for similar reasons that i've read about numerous times. NOTHING worse than a supposed "bolt on part" that does NOT just bolt on.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #9
TomDenmark
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Workshop ask about 300$ to fix it which is something I will have to think about. They want to take of both DP and exhaust to weld new fittings on both that will fit together.

I'm getting really tired of this shit and decided to give it one last try with some clamps and additional sheets of metal and see if I can get it tight.

If not I don't have other option than paying the workshop.

Anyone know if it is possible to drive the car to the workshop without DP??? or will the missing sensor signals crash the engine? Thinking about to uninstall the parts myself to keep the price down.
      02-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
TomDenmark
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bolt View Post
its unfortunate and actually CRAP that op had this much trouble. i'm in the market also for a dp and have to say that I was planning on steering away from er for similar reasons that i've read about numerous times. NOTHING worse than a supposed "bolt on part" that does NOT just bolt on.
Well I can't say much about if I like the DP sound or performance yet. But I would strongly advice not to try to fit it yourself because of above reasons.

I think if left at a popper workshop they should have what ever special tools to make it fit one way or another.
      02-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

As a vendor, i currently do business with more than 80 brands.
Evolution Racewerks is one of the best companies i have ever dealt with !!
Amazing products + top notch customer service.
ER stand 100% behind their products and if the product is less than 100%, they will gladly fix the issue for you.
OP, i recommend you call ER and they will take care of this for you.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 04:03 PM   #12
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

Hi TomDenmark,

Please give us a call at 626-814-3403 with your issues about the downpipe. We would like to get more of an idea on the fitment issue. We would like to determine if you were sold the wrong downpipe or any errors in regards to the item you have received.

You have an lifetime warranty on the unit on all manufacturer's defects and we would love the chance to correct this for you.

Just noticed that you are in Brazil. If you can send you phone number to Christine@evolutionracewerks.com she will call you to get this matter cleared up.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #13
TomDenmark
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution Racewerks View Post
Hi TomDenmark,

Please give us a call at 626-814-3403 with your issues about the downpipe. We would like to get more of an idea on the fitment issue. We would like to determine if you were sold the wrong downpipe or any errors in regards to the item you have received.

You have an lifetime warranty on the unit on all manufacturer's defects and we would love the chance to correct this for you.

Just noticed that you are in Brazil. If you can send you phone number to Christine@evolutionracewerks.com she will call you to get this matter cleared up.
I have sent my number to the mail as asked together with a description of the trouble I'm having.
      02-02-2015, 07:22 PM   #14
f30luxline
e92 - 335i
United_States
Rep

I'm curious to see what you are dealing with....would you mind posting some pics?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #15
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f30luxline View Post
I'm curious to see what you are dealing with....would you mind posting some pics?
+1

(but not in the fun, upbeat way the emoticon suggests)
      02-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #16
TomDenmark
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30luxline View Post
No, I would not mind, but I did not take any pictures before or after i cut both DP and exhaust.

Now pictures will not help anything as both pieces have been altered.

I will post what final result or conclusion I've got when I finished talking with ER who seems to really want to fix the issue.
      02-03-2015, 02:13 PM   #17
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

isnt the piping for the exhuast different for 320 and 328?
thats what i remember reading somewhere on this forum...
someone tried putting a 328 exhaust on and 320 but it wouldnt fit cause the piping was different diameters.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #18
TomDenmark
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've been in contact with Evolution Racewerks and I must say that they are very service minded.

They are helping me solve the problem, will post more details when job is completed.
      02-04-2015, 05:47 AM   #19
Pro
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDenmark View Post
I've been in contact with Evolution Racewerks and I must say that they are very service minded.

They are helping me solve the problem, will post more details when job is completed.
i would love to know how ER handles this issue since you've welded the dp
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 06:02 AM   #20
f30luxline
e92 - 335i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
isnt the piping for the exhuast different for 320 and 328?
thats what i remember reading somewhere on this forum...
someone tried putting a 328 exhaust on and 320 but it wouldnt fit cause the piping was different diameters.
If I entered correctly RealOEM.com shows different PN's for each model.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...75&hg=18&fg=10

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...75&hg=18&fg=10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro View Post
i would love to know how ER handles this issue since you've welded the dp
I'm confident ER will do whatever possible to make the OP happy.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 07:07 AM   #21
Seraphblade@sg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

I am wondering if OP bought a wrong part for his vehicle.... I have a couple of friends here in Singapore where we are using the ER chargepipe, downpipe and intercooler.. Fitment was never an issue...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 09:24 AM   #22
TomDenmark
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I bought it from http://n54tuning.com/index.php?_a=vi...&productId=110

Description says:
Introducing our new Competition Series 4" Downpipes for your N20 four cylinder turbo engine! Fits all 2012+ 320i, 328i, 420i, 428i with the N20 engine (does not fit N26 engine).