F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Sold the M4 for this.........
Extreme Powerhouse

07-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #23
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

congrats! nice rides!

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2015, 03:41 PM   #24
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB/SS M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
congrats! nice rides!

Thank you. 2 cars in 6 months was not what I was expecting but, I'm happy I at least got to experience the M4 for the time I had it.

I guess my ultimate take away from it was that it felt like a RWD GTR with a BMW badge/quality
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #25
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Niiiiiicccceeeee! can you tell us about it? what options would you recommend and stuff? did you get PTV, power steering plus or sport suspension? Porsche options always seem to confuse me
Just to elaborate a little more on the whole options thing, I would stray away from power steering plus. Its like Comfort vs Sport on the M4, except it's non adjustable and is only really working in parking lots and very slow speed situations. I would say its an option you definitely don't want.

As far as PTV goes, based on my research, I diddn't deem it necessary. Hopping from the M4 to the Cayman was already a huge leap in suspension performance for me so I felt like I wouldn't really be able to feel the difference having not felt the baseline car. That's just my .02

The sports suspension (X73) offers a 20mm lower ride height from stock Cayman/Boxster, and a 10mm lower ride than PASM (Standard on GTS). PASM is like M adaptive suspension in terms of adjustability. X73 is static and cannot be adjusted. It also includes a solid rear sway bar, where as PASM has a hollow sway bar that weighs 5 lbs less. While X73's stance and ride are a bit more aggressive, I didn't really feel it was necessary,at least for me since the Cayman is already such a low car and you sit much lower in it than the M4, and the overhang on the front is longer and more prone to scraping as is. Believe me when I tell you that out of the box, this car needs NOTHING aside from your preference in ultra high performance summer tire. Coming from a lowered and bouncy as F*** M4, I'm not touching the suspension on this thing.

As far as other options go, the best part about Porsche is that you can put whatever you want in it. PCM is about $4,000 but feels like Windows 95 compared to the BMW, but without it, you may as well be using MS DOS. Base GTS is 75K, and mine was 90K with PDK, PCM, 18 way seats, Satin Wheels, F+R parking sensors and a couple other bullshit options that should have been standard that Porsche gouges on. Don't pass up on the Porsche Sports Exhaust (Standard on GTS) or the Sports steering wheels (also standard on GTS).

In summary, GTS is almost like a discounted package of all the options you would have wanted to begin with, all bundled into one. Saves you some money, and as with Porsche, the more "Rare" your car is, the higher the residual in the long run.

Hope this helped
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 03:59 PM   #26
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMURFDADDY View Post
Just to elaborate a little more on the whole options thing, I would stray away from power steering plus. Its like Comfort vs Sport on the M4, except it's non adjustable and is only really working in parking lots and very slow speed situations. I would say its an option you definitely don't want.

As far as PTV goes, based on my research, I diddn't deem it necessary. Hopping from the M4 to the Cayman was already a huge leap in suspension performance for me so I felt like I wouldn't really be able to feel the difference having not felt the baseline car. That's just my .02

The sports suspension (X73) offers a 20mm lower ride height from stock Cayman/Boxster, and a 10mm lower ride than PASM (Standard on GTS). PASM is like M adaptive suspension in terms of adjustability. X73 is static and cannot be adjusted. It also includes a solid rear sway bar, where as PASM has a hollow sway bar that weighs 5 lbs less. While X73's stance and ride are a bit more aggressive, I didn't really feel it was necessary,at least for me since the Cayman is already such a low car and you sit much lower in it than the M4, and the overhang on the front is longer and more prone to scraping as is. Believe me when I tell you that out of the box, this car needs NOTHING aside from your preference in ultra high performance summer tire. Coming from a lowered and bouncy as F*** M4, I'm not touching the suspension on this thing.

As far as other options go, the best part about Porsche is that you can put whatever you want in it. PCM is about $4,000 but feels like Windows 95 compared to the BMW, but without it, you may as well be using MS DOS. Base GTS is 75K, and mine was 90K with PDK, PCM, 18 way seats, Satin Wheels, F+R parking sensors and a couple other bullshit options that should have been standard that Porsche gouges on. Don't pass up on the Porsche Sports Exhaust (Standard on GTS) or the Sports steering wheels (also standard on GTS).

In summary, GTS is almost like a discounted package of all the options you would have wanted to begin with, all bundled into one. Saves you some money, and as with Porsche, the more "Rare" your car is, the higher the residual in the long run.

Hope this helped
Thanks! I really want one now, I love my M4 but the biggest knock for me is the size, I'd love to have a smaller mid engine sports car
      07-15-2015, 04:02 PM   #27
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Thanks! I really want one now, I love my M4 but the biggest knock for me is the size, I'd love to have a smaller mid engine sports car
There are times where I miss the ease of the car and how advanced some of the tech features were, but at the end of the day the Porsche is a REAL sports car.

Not to mention, the exclusivity of driving a Porsche is another factor to consider. In Irvine, M3/4's are a dime a dozen, so the Porsche was a nice change.

One thing I have noticed is that I dont get as much attention in this as I did in the YMB M4 (which is welcome). Although, people will more often than not never let me over to switch lanes for some reason, as I'm now probably that "rich asshole".
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #28
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

damn, that thing is sharp
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2015, 04:07 PM   #29
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I could never dd a car this small or slow... great car but I completely dont get the point of cars like this on the street... at least w the M car you get to experience acceleration and tq on the daily, here you get handling that you won't use above an m4's on the street in any way... my opinion stands... for the street... turbo 911or bust
      07-15-2015, 04:13 PM   #30
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Congrats on the job, by the way.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2015, 04:13 PM   #31
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I could never dd a car this small or slow... great car but I completely dont get the point of cars like this on the street... at least w the M car you get to experience acceleration and tq on the daily, here you get handling that you won't use above an m4's on the street in any way... my opinion stands... for the street... turbo 911or bust
have you ever driven one of these? You don't "need" the handling over the M4 and you really don't use it either but because of it the car is more entertaining to drive. On the street you don't even close to need the handling of the M4 right? But its more fun to drive than a ford explorer because of it. Same theory here, Caymans are unbelievably entertaining to drive.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #32
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Luckily opinions are like assholes, and yours seems to stink a little more than the rest

Its in no way slow or small. I dont need the unusable power in the M4 just like you don't need the suspension in the Cayman. Comes down to preference.

Thanks for the kind words.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2015, 04:19 PM   #33
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2final View Post
Congrats on the job, by the way.
Thank you sir

Its been hoot thus far given the recent win
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #34
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
have you ever driven one of these? You don't "need" the handling over the M4 and you really don't use it either but because of it the car is more entertaining to drive. On the street you don't even close to need the handling of the M4 right? But its more fun to drive than a ford explorer because of it. Same theory here, Caymans are unbelievably entertaining to drive.
Exactly. Its more of an Event than the M4.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 04:31 PM   #35
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW
Quote:
Twice... and the end result was always the same... this thing could handle like a tirt a whirl and something always felt missing... good thing we have opinions. It's a great car, it has it's place... the street is a place where it would never work for me... as far as the kind words... this is a bmw forum and always will be, go to the vs section to see the issues w that.
      07-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #36
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2Board View Post
Sweet ride! You're going to need a new user name though, maybe something that starts with Darth...

Thanks for sharing the pics.
Took care of that the 2nd day I got the car
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #37
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Twice... and the end result was always the same... this thing could handle like a tirt a whirl and something always felt missing... good thing we have opinions. It's a great car, it has it's place... the street is a place where it would never work for me... as far as the kind words... this is a bmw forum and always will be, go to the vs section to see the issues w that.
Another reason I had no problem straying from the M4.

Had a 640i Grand Coupe think he raced me. He did a ricer fly by and gave me a thumbs down, cut me off and rolled down his window to tell me my "shits weak". Ironically, he was the one with the europlate that read "GranSickx"

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 05:23 PM   #38
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Congratulations man! You sir have a fine car.

I'm really split on either getting a Cayman GTS or the F80. After having driven the F82, I can safely say the power is copious and maybe too much to actually have fun in? I think for the money the F80 is a solid sports sedan but I realize that I've been driving sports cars for most of my entire life and may miss the visceral feel going into an F80.

Sapphire blue, X73, PTV, platinum satin wheels, Bose surround, and some leather. Pretty much the only options I would get.
Appreciate 2
      07-15-2015, 05:26 PM   #39
SMURFDADDY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
Congratulations man! You sir have a fine car.

I'm really split on either getting a Cayman GTS or the F80. After having driven the F82, I can safely say the power is copious and maybe too much to actually have fun in? I think for the money the F80 is a solid sports sedan but I realize that I've been driving sports cars for most of my entire life and may miss the visceral feel going into an F80.

Sapphire blue, X73, PTV, platinum satin wheels, Bose surround, and some leather. Pretty much the only options I would get.

Thank you very much

Cant go wrong with either car. Truthfully, while the M4 was batshit fast and had loads of modern gizmo's, It lacked the soul that the Porsche has.

I'd drive both back to back if you can. They are completely different and not even comparable in my opinion
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 07:49 PM   #40
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMURFDADDY View Post
Although, people will more often than not never let me over to switch lanes for some reason, as I'm now probably that "rich asshole".
No one thinks that. You're driving a Cayman.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #41
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

I never liked the rear on those cars. Sorry man....I'd keep the M4. I also couldn't imagine that car could sniff the M4 with a tune, performance-wise....in the twisties, that's a different ball game....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #42
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Congrats!!!!
GTS is a fantastic car.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #43
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
No one thinks that. You're driving a Cayman.
I did LOL here.. but to most people, a Porsche is a Porsche and the stigma comes with the badge not the model.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2015, 09:25 PM   #44
w0ady
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congrats on the sweet new ride!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic273443_2.gif
Appreciate 1