F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335i - what's it worth??
Studio RSR

12-10-2017, 03:10 AM   #1
sauluk
Private
Rep
Drives: 159

335i - what's it worth??

Love the car but growing family means I'm likely to move into an X5.

Valuation guides online seem way off to me and there's rarely any of these for sale so thought I'd ask!

63 plate 335i M Sport - Estoril blue
28k miles
FBMWSH (service pack with next service covered)
New rear P Zero RFTs
HK audio
HUD
Adaptive Headlights
M performance exhaust

Car in excellent condition all round
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 03:35 AM   #2
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauluk View Post

Valuation guides online seem way off to me and there's rarely any of these for sale so thought I'd ask!

28k miles
New rear P Zero RFTs
HK audio
HUD
Adaptive Headlights
M performance exhaust

The guides are usually pretty accurate. You won't change it much if you're trading in, they all use the same systems. Most private buyers will do the same to check the value. You might, but only might, find a buyer willing to pay a few hundred pounds more due to the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 04:41 AM   #3
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

If that was my car, I would try a couple of BMW dealers first. Petrol are rare and the car is very low mileage. Sounds like its in good condition, so it could be prime stock for them. If they seem keen, drive in and let them see the car.

When I traded my E90 in, I would have done best by going down the WBAC route, so don't rule that out if you want a quick sale.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 05:35 AM   #4
Mr Whippy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335Xd, E81 130i

What are private, trade retail and trade in values?

I don't get where the trade in values come from these days, or the retail.

Either way the spreads are huge.

I know there are risks etc, but what are the real costs of reselling cars?

There needs to be an 'uber' type thing for car reselling where buyers match up with sellers and the 'service' just provides impartial car checks and an insurance/warranty... Ie, no significant risks for buyers/sellers.

All history, HQ images, etc of full cars so buyers/sellers can consistently look for the right car etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 06:07 AM   #5
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

Book is around £15k, but you'll probably find you're offered anywhere from £15-£16.5k as a trade-in depending upon where dealer margins are with the car you're looking at buying.

I have a very similar age, spec and mileage car and have been offered valuations in this range over the past few weeks' trading in against newly advertised AUC cars that are up around the £50k mark.

Current depreciation is around £200-250 a month at this age on a 335i.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 08:43 AM   #6
sauluk
Private
Rep
Drives: 159

Bloody hell is that all? That’s strong depreciation. Only had it 18 months or so, previous cars were M3’s and never lost that much
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep

If you compare trade to retail prices over a 3-year period on a 2 year old car, you are probably going from a retail of £20k to a trade-in, 3 years later at c£8k.

Using my example, thats £333 per month.

That what it probably costs me. I buy them at 20-30k miles and sell them at c80k miles.

The problem is, when you trade in a 5 year old car with high mileage, it is becoming less desirable, hence the depreciation.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #8
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

I'll give you £15,000 cash for it
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #9
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

If the car has pro nav and heated seats, probably worth mentioning that. While most cars have them, they were options. Also you haven't mentioned if auto or manual.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #10
335dMSport+
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d MSport+

It'll be worth more if you ditch the run flats
      12-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #11
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

i’m interested as well if price is right.

Also where are you based?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #12
Mr Whippy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
If you compare trade to retail prices over a 3-year period on a 2 year old car, you are probably going from a retail of £20k to a trade-in, 3 years later at c£8k.

Using my example, thats £333 per month.

That what it probably costs me. I buy them at 20-30k miles and sell them at c80k miles.

The problem is, when you trade in a 5 year old car with high mileage, it is becoming less desirable, hence the depreciation.
Then trader puts the £8k trade in up at £12k.

This "market" is doomed.

Saturated with new cars, big manufacturer discounts, depreciation rife, and interest rates rising.

Pop. And back to normality I hope.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #13
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

Mr Whippy is right. Take a look on approved used. Heavy discounts at new mean that nearly new prices are hit even harder and it reverberates all long the second hand chain. Used values from BMW are no better than a non premium brand. Only difference is hopefully a more reliable second hand buy so it will be a bit easier to sell on.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 05:19 AM   #14
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Whippy View Post
Then trader puts the £8k trade in up at £12k.

This "market" is doomed.

Saturated with new cars, big manufacturer discounts, depreciation rife, and interest rates rising.

Pop. And back to normality I hope.
Without defending a dealer, they have all their overheads to cover, plus the cost to bring the car up to retail standard.

On top of that, there are warranty-type issues to sort out.

Then then, the £12k car might take a few months to sell and by that time, the retail is £10k. Then, the new buyer asks for a discount and the sale price is £9500.

I don't think that the market is doomed, its just that the heavy discounting of some new cars means that the first 2 years depreciation is huge. After that, I would imagine that the depreciation is fairly steady.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 06:37 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
I don't think that the market is doomed, its just that the heavy discounting of some new cars means that the first 2 years depreciation is huge. After that, I would imagine that the depreciation is fairly steady.
Reading the trade press last week, they see used prices are also falling more than projected. One factor is the success of the past few years, particularly with PCPs. The volume of PCP returns now going back into the system, is starting to flood the used market. Time to get good used cars at sensible prices, where are winners.

It appears to be one reason new car sales are depressed, the good used stock can be tempting to some who may try and get into a new car.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #16
Steces
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 530d

Quote:
What are private, trade retail and trade in values?

I don't get where the trade in values come from these days, or the retail.

Either way the spreads are huge.

I know there are risks etc, but what are the real costs of reselling cars?

There needs to be an 'uber' type thing for car reselling where buyers match up with sellers and the 'service' just provides impartial car checks and an insurance/warranty... Ie, no significant risks for buyers/sellers.

All history, HQ images, etc of full cars so buyers/sellers can consistently look for the right car etc.

2 mins work gives a GFV of just over 13k for a brand new 340i at 4y and 32,000 miles from the BMW website

This seems a fair figure to work from in my opinion

GLWTS
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #17
HeresMyCar
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauluk View Post

28k miles
New rear P Zero RFTs
HK audio
HUD
Adaptive Headlights
M performance exhaust

Good luck with the sale mate. Be good to keep it in the forum
      12-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #18
Mr Whippy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steces View Post
2 mins work gives a GFV of just over 13k for a brand new 340i at 4y and 32,000 miles from the BMW website

This seems a fair figure to work from in my opinion

GLWTS
With options etc?

In my recent experience BMW AUC prices are £££ more than trade in or GFV values.

Try find a 4yr old 3 with a 3.0 turbo engine and 32k miles for anywhere near £14,000.

The point is traders are screwing both ways.

Your huge initial discount is repaid at trade in, and you will hand back because GFV is what they'll offer trade as very few will private sale their car.

Everyone is just happy to burn money into depreciation at low APR but all that stock is building up.

The inventories at these high prices and GFVs can't be sustained forever.

Reality will soon have to bite.

A good time to be on a lease imo, but when you go to renew you'll be paying a lot more unless your happy to go used and run an 'older' car.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #19
Steces
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 530d

Quote:
With options etc?

In my recent experience BMW AUC prices are £££ more than trade in or GFV values.

Try find a 4yr old 3 with a 3.0 turbo engine and 32k miles for anywhere near £14,000.

The point is traders are screwing both ways.

Your huge initial discount is repaid at trade in, and you will hand back because GFV is what they'll offer trade as very few will private sale their car.

Everyone is just happy to burn money into depreciation at low APR but all that stock is building up.

The inventories at these high prices and GFVs can't be sustained forever.

Reality will soon have to bite.

A good time to be on a lease imo, but when you go to renew you'll be paying a lot more unless your happy to go used and run an 'older' car.
But a new 340i can be had for 33k from a broker/TRL and so Id argue 5k a year depreciation is reasonable - but paying full list price would probably have you crying

Im not aware of anybody getting more than GFV at the end of a PCP term and so the 13k figure quoted by BMW themselves cant be ignored

In your opinion what would a trader ask for a car they'd paid 13k to show a decent profit after prep/overheads/etc??

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 05:32 PM   #20
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
IMO, it's wbac and such that are fucking the secondhand market into a hat, as nearly everywhere now uses that as their trade in price - primarily because they view it as a minimum, nearly guaranteed, value they'll get from them if they can't sell it first at an inflated price themselves.

I've got to be honest, as I didn't put down anything as a deposit, I'd be quite happy just not loosing money when my PCP is up. That said, I made sure I got a car I really liked in the first place, so if the value isn't looking to rosey when the time comes, I'm not fussed as I'll just stick with it and then maybe start modifying it a bit!