F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 Coilovers Options - Comprehensive Overview
proTUNING Freaks

11-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #67
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock_Puppet View Post
I spoke to a distributor for BC and, based on their replies, and the fact that I despise the fact that my F30 looks like it is walking around on stilts, I suppose that's the way I'll go.

Truthfully, though, as I doubt I would be swapping the ride-height any, coilovers seem like overkill but I don't want to purchase just springs, either, and I'm unable to find F30 shocks...
Let me know if you're interested in the BC Coil-overs.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #68
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Quote:
I spoke to a distributor for BC and, based on their replies, and the fact that I despise the fact that my F30 looks like it is walking around on stilts, I suppose that's the way I'll go.

Truthfully, though, as I doubt I would be swapping the ride-height any, coilovers seem like overkill but I don't want to purchase just springs, either, and I'm unable to find F30 shocks...
I'd say the fact you can choose your desired ride-height is one of the big benefits of coilovers - not many people regularly adjust ride-height, only when first installing might adjust once after things settle in. Coilovers are the way to go

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #69
slmdgee
Usofstance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328I 6SPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post
I'd say the fact you can choose your desired ride-height is one of the big benefits of coilovers - not many people regularly adjust ride-height, only when first installing might adjust once after things settle in. Coilovers are the way to go
Are you dropped yet

IG Stu_UnitedStatesOfStance
United States Of Stance
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #70
Sock_Puppet
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
- not many people regularly adjust ride-height, only when first installing might adjust once after things settle in. Coilovers are the way to go
Thanks for the info. I'm relatively new to the car tuning scene, meaning, any feedback helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #71
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmdgee View Post
Are you dropped yet
Funny thing, I've had coils in my possession for a while now but haven't had the chance to install. This Sunday they are going on!

Then the real fun with this car starts, wheels

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm relatively new to the car tuning scene, meaning, any feedback helps.
If you have any other questions, I am happy to help!

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #72
sleet
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

KW F30 DDC Coilover Review

Hi all, this is my first ever review so I hope to be as informative as I can.

KW F30 DDC Coilover Review

Background: F30 328i Luxury Edition with Standard Suspension
Driver background: Just an average driver who has never been to the track
Installation time: Less than a day thanks to the guys at Extreme Autosports Singapore

Some impressions:

Being able to choose a range of settings for the dampeners is an incredible idea.

Comfort mode is extremely useful after a heavy meal, ferrying the folks, or when you simply don't want to feel the bumps on the road. I would say it's 20% harsher than the OEM Standard Suspension but still very comfortable;

I use Sports mode most of the time for daily driving to work. Much less body roll now when engaging corners. The OEM standard suspension (not sport/adaptive M suspension) used to give me terrible bodyroll so this was a great boon to my driving experience.

Sport+ is not much different from Sports mode, maybe 15% firmer but still nothing back breaking.

KW delivered the package with 2 coilovers suffering from a minor defect. The O-rings, that were there to prevent water seepage into the electronic controls, were not properly seated and were loosely covering the outside of the electronic valves (pardon my poor technical explanation). A week later they sent another 2 over and the mechanics said it was now ok.

At maximum height settings, the rear suspension leaves absolutely no wheel arch gap between my 19" rims and tyres. The front is still fine though, where you can tweak it to at least a 3 fingers gap. I will be installing a spacer behind to increase the rear height.

With regards to the iphone/ipad app, it works perfectly through the optional wireless LAN module. While toying around, I realised Comfort = 0% settings on front/rear axle and Sport+ = 100% on front/rear. I'm guessing the Sport setting lies somewhere in between 60-90% settings.

Personally, I would rather just use the physical button, rather than the app to switch the dampener modes. Highway cruising - switch to comfort. Getting off highway - switch to sport mode to negotiate the curves.

Overall, I'm still fairly pleased with this product - especially with the ability to change the car suspension on the fly. Unfortunately, I don't have the opportunity to test it on the track but I hope this review has helped. Thanks for reading!

Some pictures:

Electronic Module

Electronic Module recommended installation location at right rear suspension

Button to change modes (Blue - Comfort, Purple - Sport, Red - Sport+)

Or you can choose to control it from your Ipad/Iphone/Ipod
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #73
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Wow, that KW DDC looks flat out awesome!

Number - This sounds awesome! Proper ride-height adjustability is what made me go CKS route, glad to hear they are an otherwise great product. Cannot wait to get mine on!

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #74
EB_F30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13' M Sport 335 6MT

Subscribed.

Sleet - Nice write up, looks like a nice kit. The DDC option looks real sweet, pretty much like having the M adaptive feature using your iDrive but with way better results from a true coil over kit. Main thing that has me hesitant is I keep seeing reviews on the rear sitting really low...I want the car lowered but I may not want it super low, especially on its highest setting...kind of takes away the whole adjustment option. It also seems a huge pain to adjust the rear as well. Overall seems like a nice kit though.

Number - I look fwd to reading your reviews. The CKS kit also looks really nice.

I'm glad we have guys finally getting these kits on and reporting the findings. I can't wait to get my car and get a nice coilover kit on. I was so close to getting the DHP (it is a cool option) but I've always done my own suspension and I think I made the right choice with the products we have to choose from on the F30 to really dial in your suspension how you like it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #75
Blake P
Kinda Like A Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 on order

Subscribed.

I'm convinced KW makes their rear coilovers too low on purpose so that you have to buy their optional spring spacers to raise them to an acceptable height. It's the same story with Audi B8 applications, with KW USA denying there's a problem but promptly offering to sell you the spacers. That was a bad enough experience to be my first and last KW purchase.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 02:19 AM   #76
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake P View Post
Subscribed.

I'm convinced KW makes their rear coilovers too low on purpose so that you have to buy their optional spring spacers to raise them to an acceptable height. It's the same story with Audi B8 applications, with KW USA denying there's a problem but promptly offering to sell you the spacers. That was a bad enough experience to be my first and last KW purchase.
Damn, I've hung out with the B8 guys enough, I'm surprised I didn't hear about this!

In other news, finally got my CKS coils installed. The ride height adjustability/range is very good. Crappy dark pic but you get the idea, and there is room to go lower if I so choose. Wheels going on this week, then I will post more pics

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 02:50 AM   #77
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

How do you like them so far?
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #78
Camnyc
wannabe
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI M3

Quote:
Subscribed.

This, I had the same issue with the b6/b7 chassis cars, the b8's issue was the spring was too soft and began to sagg. This unfortunately is keeping me from purchasing kw's for my f30, I guess im going to look into the bc and h&r option.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #79
rxander
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 Alpine White

Quote:
Damn, I've hung out with the B8 guys enough, I'm surprised I didn't hear about this!

In other news, finally got my CKS coils installed. The ride height adjustability/range is very good. Crappy dark pic but you get the idea, and there is room to go lower if I so choose. Wheels going on this week, then I will post more pics

[img]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/312409_10151219126323587_1821381718_n.jpg[/i]
That looks slammed. How's the ride ? Stiff? harsh? Been waiting for some aftermarket shocks to come out but looks like I have to go coilover route.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #80
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post
How do you like them so far?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxander View Post
That looks slammed. How's the ride ? Stiff? harsh? Been waiting for some aftermarket shocks to come out but looks like I have to go coilover route.
So far I'm actually impressed with these CKS coilovers. While I was expecting a good ride with decent adjustability, I've adjusted the damping multiple times to get things just right and right now the ride is simply perfect for me. I do prefer a decently stiff ride but nothing jarring or ridiculous.

To put things in perspective, I've got a buddy with KW V3's on an E92 M3 and his and my ride quality are very comparable right now.

Of course, I've had these on less than a week and in time things may change, but right now everything is great.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #81
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Sounds good to me. Where did you order them from? Comes with camber plates?
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #82
rxander
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 Alpine White

Quote:
So far I'm actually impressed with these CKS coilovers. While I was expecting a good ride with decent adjustability, I've adjusted the damping multiple times to get things just right and right now the ride is simply perfect for me. I do prefer a decently stiff ride but nothing jarring or ridiculous.

To put things in perspective, I've got a buddy with KW V3's on an E92 M3 and his and my ride quality are very comparable right now.

Of course, I've had these on less than a week and in time things may change, but right now everything is great.
Can you comment on how long it takes to adjust height? Another member said his BC coilovers took LTMW 1-2 hours
Would you be able to do them yourself in your own garage and how long?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #83
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:

Good lord, you really slammed it. Here's my CKS F30 at a more conservative height.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #84
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post
Sounds good to me. Where did you order them from? Comes with camber plates?
Right now I'm still holding out on a full review as I'm on OE 17" wheels & tires. The M3 w/KW I am comparing to is running 20" wheels & tires, so naturally, my 17's absorb a good amount of rough road. We'll see how the ride is effected overall when I change to 19" wheels & tires tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxander View Post
Can you comment on how long it takes to adjust height? Another member said his BC coilovers took LTMW 1-2 hours
Would you be able to do them yourself in your own garage and how long?
Fronts are a matter of minutes, rears are a bit more intensive. It can be done on your own but will require a bit of know-how with the rear suspension components.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #85
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post
Good lord, you really slammed it. Here's my CKS F30 at a more conservative height.
This looks very good! Reminds me I really need tint.

My previous car was considerably lower than the F30 is right now so driving isn't too bad. I may raise it a bit though, based on how wheel fitment goes. Happy so far though.

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #86
hotwheels83
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sedan

@sleet Thanks for a detailed review.

Total newbie to mods here ...

So do we have a summary of which are the good, better and best coilover options so far? (Of course, this totally depends on individual preferences like ride height, stiffness, price, etc.) I had a e90 328 which I returned after the lease. I was pretty happy with the ride quality (without a sport suspension) but my f30 335 seems little "floaty" to me. I would like to firm the suspension and get the car lowered just a bit. CKS seems to be promising and Kw has polarized reviews (some like it and some had issues with it).

I think I am still confused on what to get in terms of ride stiffness and price (I am looking for under $2000 installed)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #87
Blake P
Kinda Like A Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 on order

^^Sounds to me like H&R would be your best bet for a "comfortably firm" coilover suspension that won't break the bank.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2013, 12:37 AM   #88
hotwheels83
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sedan

Quote:
^^Sounds to me like H&R would be your best bet for a "comfortably firm" coilover suspension that won't break the bank.
Thanks for your reply. Isn't H&R too bouncy on speed bumps? I am reading owners bouncing off of their seats on speed bumps. Or is that the case only when people use H&R sports springs with stock shocks? I have kinda shortlisted H&R, CKS and BC coilovers. I cannot find a review of cks coilovers for f30 though.
Appreciate 0