F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 Coilovers Options - Comprehensive Overview
GetBMWParts

10-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #155
lo_xyooj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335i

So I read this whole thread and its all over the place in terms of which coils to look into...At this point I'm looking for street comfort since its my daily and Bilstein B14s seems to be the better option for what I'm looking for...??

Last edited by lo_xyooj; 10-08-2016 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #156
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

The search for coilovers becomes more straightforward once you know your preferences

- Budget, including installation and alignment
- Desired lowering range: from OEM height to lower than that
- Individually controlled rebound / dampening controls or preset shock characteristics
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #157
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Shouldn't Ohlins be added to this list.

I'm in the market for coilovers and have been eyeing Ohlins, but I'm open to other options. It seems that you can't go wrong with Ohlin. The one question I have though is can the dampening adjustment be made in the rear without removing the shocks. It seems this was an issue with the KW's but not sure about it with other manufacturers. How about BC Racing. At more then half the price of Ohlins it seems like a steel but how much quality will I be sacrificing?

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #158
ricardofors68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 M5

Well. I'll be adding info to this thread soon, just received my BC coilovers set;
Attached Images

danb19791545.00
      03-04-2018, 09:11 AM   #159
andrew 330i
it can never be too clean...
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M Sport Wagon

has anyone had any crashing issues (front) with the harder bumps with the kw1 after running them for a couple years? if so, does kw warranty these? thanks!

kw v1 coilover kit / 19" staggered 351 M double spoke wheels / upper strut bar /
sport line grille & exhaust tips / 50% tint / painted reflectors / debadged / complete clear bra
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #160
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Thought I'd add my input since I just installed coilovers on my '13 335xi. After reviewing this thread and every other source I could find, I was trying to balance cost and performance as well as adjustability, I ended up going with CATuned coilovers. I paid $1200 and they have 30 degrees of dampening, very easy to adjust with the fronts using a supplied allen key through the top threaded rod and the backs with a collar located just above the bottom mount. The shock/strut height as well as the rear spring height are easily adjustable and are easy to rotate to the desired height. I installed these along with a rear sway bar (front will be installed in the next few weeks), rear subframe bushing inserts and rear upper adjustable camber bars.

The installation was pretty easy, I used a lift since I have access to one. After install I dropped it and drove it then measured and put it back on the lift to make the proper adjustments. I have no noise coming from the coilovers so far which is nice. I am set at 20 on the dampening so I set it pretty stiff. handling is night and day from what it was.

For me it was a great decision to go with the CATuned vs the KW v3 from a price standpoint. Time will tell how it progresses but so far so good!
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #161
turbo63
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Just chipping in to share my option.

I fitted Bilstein PSS10 B16 KOMFORT to my F30 (48-229012). These have a longer spring than the normal B16 PSS10. Lowering is in the -10-30mm range, not the -30-50mm range for the normal version. I didn't want to go that low.

I fitted them because I don't rate the standard M Sport suspension ( I've had both Adaptive and passive, both suck!!!). Verdict, wow what a transformation, the car now rides like an M3/M4, no jokes it really does stick to the road. It is also far less crashy when going over potholes, etc. An amazing transformation
Looks amazing. What size are those wheels? I like the stance but have 18's and think you have 19's.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 02:42 AM   #162
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo63 View Post

Looks amazing. What size are those wheels? I like the stance but have 18's and think you have 19's.
Thanks, yes they are 19" m403. They should have the same rolling diameter as yours.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 02:47 AM   #163
B58_Touring
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Garage List
Quote:
Just chipping in to share my option.

I fitted Bilstein PSS10 B16 KOMFORT to my F30 (48-229012). These have a longer spring than the normal B16 PSS10. Lowering is in the -10-30mm range, not the -30-50mm range for the normal version. I didn't want to go that low.

I fitted them because I don't rate the standard M Sport suspension ( I've had both Adaptive and passive, both suck!!!). Verdict, wow what a transformation, the car now rides like an M3/M4, no jokes it really does stick to the road. It is also far less crashy when going over potholes, etc. An amazing transformation
Car looks great, what height did you have that set to? I'm looking at a set of B14 PSS, are the Komfort springs something that can be selected across the range do you know?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 02:58 AM   #164
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardofors68 View Post
Well. I'll be adding info to this thread soon, just received my BC coilovers set;
Just did this install today. Need to adjust the height front and rear but I am happy with the ride quality and look. The rear is already low and I have almost another inch left on the rear before it as low as possible.

Next will be getting my car alignment done. Not to concerned right now due to the tires I have will not be the permanent ones.

Let me know how you like yours.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 03:17 AM   #165
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBk View Post

Car looks great, what height did you have that set to? I'm looking at a set of B14 PSS, are the Komfort springs something that can be selected across the range do you know?
Hi,

Thanks. I had them set to -20mm all round. Whether Bilstein offer a Komfort B14 version is one thing, but I would imagine the Komfort springs would physically fit.

I would strongly advise that you upgrade to B16 anyway. You might not think you want the hassle of having the adjustable damping, but trust me, I can turn this car from very soft and pliable to stiff, without tools and in 2-3 minutes. When I pick up customers for example, I turn the dampers down to 1 and none would know the car has an aftermarket suspension.

I'd be worried that the B14 could be one or two clicks too hard or soft for my liking. Although you wouldn't know the difference and would get used to that, it really is worth being able to dial in exactly how you like it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 03:29 AM   #166
B58_Touring
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks. I had them set to -20mm all round. Whether Bilstein offer a Komfort B14 version is one thing, but I would imagine the Komfort springs would physically fit.

I would strongly advise that you upgrade to B16 anyway. You might not think you want the hassle of having the adjustable damping, but trust me, I can turn this car from very soft and pliable to stiff, without tools and in 2-3 minutes. When I pick up customers for example, I turn the dampers down to 1 and none would know the car has an aftermarket suspension.

I'd be worried that the B14 could be one or two clicks too hard or soft for my liking. Although you wouldn't know the difference and would get used to that, it really is worth being able to dial in exactly how you like it.
Thanks, yeah thats the dilemma I've found myself in. Originally I was just looking to replace springs, then it moved up to matched dampers and when comparing costs the B14 Kit wasn't a kick in the arse off and I can select my ride height.

I narrowed it down to the B14's simply because I want improved road handling coupled with a slightly lower stance purely for looks, particularly on the front where the arch gap is too high for my liking. Pin sharp track handling is nothing I'm likely to require for this car to justify the extra cost of having adjustable dampers. From what I've managed to find the B14's are set slightly softer than the B16's on their softest setting, which for my daily sounds ideal. But without being able to try its hard to tell as everyone's opinion on suspension comfort vary's massively.

Would you say the B16's set at 1 improve handling at all or at that setting are you just getting cosmetic improvements?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 03:45 AM   #167
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBk View Post

Thanks, yeah thats the dilemma I've found myself in. Originally I was just looking to replace springs, then it moved up to matched dampers and when comparing costs the B14 Kit wasn't a kick in the arse off and I can select my ride height.

I narrowed it down to the B14's simply because I want improved road handling coupled with a slightly lower stance purely for looks, particularly on the front where the arch gap is too high for my liking. Pin sharp track handling is nothing I'm likely to require for this car to justify the extra cost of having adjustable dampers. From what I've managed to find the B14's are set slightly softer than the B16's on their softest setting, which for my daily sounds ideal. But without being able to try its hard to tell as everyone's opinion on suspension comfort vary's massively.

Would you say the B16's set at 1 improve handling at all or at that setting are you just getting cosmetic improvements?
I've no experience of the ride stiffness of the B14 kit, but I'd say that "being softer than the softest B16 setting" doesn't make sense. That would be very very soft, and not what reviews suggest. If anything I'd say it would be set more to position mid position on the B16 scale.

The beauty of B16 is it allows you to go even softer if you want. Let's say for a second that B14 was the same as B16 on damping level 5. For everyday driving I have my B16 on setting 3. Setting 5 is a little 'edgier' than perhaps I'd like it. Don't get me wrong, 5 is perfectly manageable, but it is good to have the choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 03:59 AM   #168
B58_Touring
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've no experience of the ride stiffness of the B14 kit, but I'd say that "being softer than the softest B16 setting" doesn't make sense. That would be very very soft, and not what reviews suggest. If anything I'd say it would be set more to position mid position on the B16 scale.

The beauty of B16 is it allows you to go even softer if you want. Let's say for a second that B14 was the same as B16 on damping level 5. For everyday driving I have my B16 on setting 3. Setting 5 is a little 'edgier' than perhaps I'd like it. Don't get me wrong, 5 is perfectly manageable, but it is good to have the choice.
Great stuff, thanks for the info. Found it hard to find decent reviews on the B14, particularly on an F3X chassis. My budget looks set to be reviewed for a 3rd time now haha. Any recommended suppliers in the UK?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #169
Pipe335i
Rep
Drives: F30 335i m sport

anyone with Fortune Auto 500 series coilovers ?

hI

I'm looking into coilovers , I seem so many reviews from almost every brand available for the F3x but nothing on the FA 500 series. So far I only bump into a review on a 135i from back in 2012.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 12:53 AM   #170
Mkswoosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi tanzanite blue

Garage List
I have 2018 340i xdrive. So from my brief time reading threads on here.

Coilovers will cancel out my adaptive suspension?

Springs and sway bar is a good route?

I'm looking for a moderate drop. (Getting rid most of wheel gap) would prefer a little stiffer setup. (Not tracking and it's a dd with two little ones)

Could use some advise or a sense of direction to research on.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 06:18 AM   #171
Sweeney921
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW E39 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkswoosh View Post

I'm looking for a moderate drop. (Getting rid most of wheel gap) would prefer a little stiffer setup. (Not tracking and it's a dd with two little ones)

Non-adaptive coilovers will require an EDC delete module to avoid error codes in the ECU. KW makes one that's supposedly reliable. You'll lose your adaptive suspension, of course.

KW makes an adaptive coilover option, but it costs something like $3000. Bilstein has advertised one too, but we've been waiting for it to be released to the market for over a year now. There's no firm date on when Bilstein's adaptive coilovers will come out.

Most people will recommend that you skip lowering spring/shocks and go straight to coilovers. You'll likely appreciate the ability to adjust the ride height and added shock adjustability too. Another thing to keep in mind is springs will sometimes settle unevenly; if that happens with lowering springs then you either have to live with it or start over and try another brand. Coilovers are infinitely adjustable for a level ride height, so they're one and done. They can also be serviced later on by the manufacturer if/when they wear out.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #172
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:

KW Streetcomforts. Can meet just below stock height by about 10mm, and drops below that to about 2". Bilstein also has one but it's about $600 more expensive.

All the KW Vx and regular PSS Bilsteins, BC, etc at their highest setting will be about 30mm from xdrive suspension, which is base suspension.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #173
Mkswoosh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney921 View Post
Non-adaptive coilovers will require an EDC delete module to avoid error codes in the ECU. KW makes one that's supposedly reliable. You'll lose your adaptive suspension, of course.

KW makes an adaptive coilover option, but it costs something like $3000. Bilstein has advertised one too, but we've been waiting for it to be released to the market for over a year now. There's no firm date on when Bilstein's adaptive coilovers will come out.

Most people will recommend that you skip lowering spring/shocks and go straight to coilovers. You'll likely appreciate the ability to adjust the ride height and added shock adjustability too. Another thing to keep in mind is springs will sometimes settle unevenly; if that happens with lowering springs then you either have to live with it or start over and try another brand. Coilovers are infinitely adjustable for a level ride height, so they're one and done. They can also be serviced later on by the manufacturer if/when they wear out.
I appreciate the thorough response! So Blistein and KW are the most recognized coils for the f30s. I will check them out.

I do understand the PROs of having coils but just couldn't justify the price especially for the ones that are adaptive. Only reason i was steering towards just springs and sways. was so i could have extra money for the moment and get new tires/wheel combo.

Do you know if dealerships are more uptight when servicing under warranty on a car that has upgraded suspension?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #174
Mkswoosh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
KW Streetcomforts. Can meet just below stock height by about 10mm, and drops below that to about 2". Bilstein also has one but it's about $600 more expensive.

All the KW Vx and regular PSS Bilsteins, BC, etc at their highest setting will be about 30mm from xdrive suspension, which is base suspension.
Do you know the reasoning behind Bilstein being more in price than a KW besides brand/rep?

I do like the ability being able to adjust ride height to my liking and since i get all 4 seasons up here in the northwest.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 06:29 PM   #175
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post

Do you know the reasoning behind Bilstein being more in price than a KW besides brand/rep?

I do like the ability being able to adjust ride height to my liking and since i get all 4 seasons up here in the northwest.
The Bilsteins, imo, are just better all around. The adjustment knobs are on the bottom of both shocks for the PSS10s. They also use a progressive spring across the lineup which has to be very closely tailored for the car/shock its used with. Bilstein also uses an inverted shock in the rear, like Ohlins, which are also an arm, and a leg lol. But they are worth it. If you need daily comfort and track ready coilovers you can't go wrong with either of these two.

KW uses linear springs, and sometimes two on the same shock to make a pseudo progressive setup. For your application I wouldn't spend the extra money for the Bilsteins. The Kw coilovers will be more than great to replace the base suspension, lower the car, and give it the driving experience it should have had from factory.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #176
Mkswoosh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zole2112 View Post
Thought I'd add my input since I just installed coilovers on my '13 335xi. After reviewing this thread and every other source I could find, I was trying to balance cost and performance as well as adjustability, I ended up going with CATuned coilovers. I paid $1200 and they have 30 degrees of dampening, very easy to adjust with the fronts using a supplied allen key through the top threaded rod and the backs with a collar located just above the bottom mount. The shock/strut height as well as the rear spring height are easily adjustable and are easy to rotate to the desired height. I installed these along with a rear sway bar (front will be installed in the next few weeks), rear subframe bushing inserts and rear upper adjustable camber bars.

The installation was pretty easy, I used a lift since I have access to one. After install I dropped it and drove it then measured and put it back on the lift to make the proper adjustments. I have no noise coming from the coilovers so far which is nice. I am set at 20 on the dampening so I set it pretty stiff. handling is night and day from what it was.

For me it was a great decision to go with the CATuned vs the KW v3 from a price standpoint. Time will tell how it progresses but so far so good!
awesome review btw! I might add these as an option too when deciding what suspension route i go with. Didn't really want to drop too much into suspensions since i just want a little lower height and a tad bit stiffer than my stocks. so i was thinking just springs and sway bars.
Appreciate 0