F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Lane Departure Warning (Camera and Steering Wheel)
GetBMWParts

08-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #1
naiza3k
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 & 2019 x7 xdrive50i

Lane Departure Warning (Camera and Steering Wheel)

Ok guys, I dropped my car off to the dealership last week for the following services, I have a 2014 F32 435i Xdrive Msport in 6MT.

* Oil Change ( They won't do it because i'm still 3K miles away, good thing I did my own oil change just 2 months ago.
* Brake Pad Change ( They said i'm at 0.5mm and need to be at 0.3mm before change so denied this request)
* New Clutch (They said this is never changed and it's lifetime) BS
* Motor on my right mirror is broken, when car goes in reverse and mirror tilts down it doesn't come back up. (They replaced this)
* My Steering wheel isn't vibrating correctly for lane departure warning, it will make a weird noise for vibration like it's trying to vibrate but it doesn't actually vibrate. (Dealer blamed this on the Camera that's over heating and this is normal according to them... this is BS. I asked them to look at the steer wheel, maybe the vibration mechanism is messed up. They said this is due to the Camera and I gave up arguing with the girl at Schomp BMW)

So now my question is, has anyone had any similar issue on the steering wheel for lane departure? I've had the camera turn off before due to driving directly in the direction of the Sun... but Dealership is blaming the steering wheel vibration problem to the camera as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Why do you need a new clutch? Why are you requesting an oil change after 2 months? Why do you need new pads when they aren't worn out yet?

They probably thought you were trying to scam them so they didn't want to look into anything for you..
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #3
naiza3k
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj
Why do you need a new clutch? Why are you requesting an oil change after 2 months? Why do you need new pads when they aren't worn out yet?

They probably thought you were trying to scam them so they didn't want to look into anything for you..
I requested for them to look at the clutch since car is at 43k miles.

I perform the oil changes myself instead of following their intervals.

Brakes have been squeeking.

I don't really care about the maintenance items but the steering wheel is BS.

Don't like to go to the dealership so I waited for everything and brought it all in at once.

Previous: 2015 X5 Graphite, |All options| - 2014 435i Xdrive Msport, |Fully Loaded|6MT|FBO|JB4|Front,side,rear lips/spoilers|- 2015 320i Xdrive, |Wife's beater| - 2008 535i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #4
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by naiza3k View Post
Ok guys, I dropped my car off to the dealership last week for the following services, I have a 2014 F32 435i Xdrive Msport in 6MT.

* Oil Change ( They won't do it because i'm still 3K miles away, good thing I did my own oil change just 2 months ago.
* Brake Pad Change ( They said i'm at 0.5mm and need to be at 0.3mm before change so denied this request)
* New Clutch (They said this is never changed and it's lifetime) BS
* Motor on my right mirror is broken, when car goes in reverse and mirror tilts down it doesn't come back up. (They replaced this)
* My Steering wheel isn't vibrating correctly for lane departure warning, it will make a weird noise for vibration like it's trying to vibrate but it doesn't actually vibrate. (Dealer blamed this on the Camera that's over heating and this is normal according to them... this is BS. I asked them to look at the steer wheel, maybe the vibration mechanism is messed up. They said this is due to the Camera and I gave up arguing with the girl at Schomp BMW)

So now my question is, has anyone had any similar issue on the steering wheel for lane departure? I've had the camera turn off before due to driving directly in the direction of the Sun... but Dealership is blaming the steering wheel vibration problem to the camera as well.
Funny they won't change your oil with 3,000 miles to go. I had my car in last week for tire replacement under the W&T coverage. I had 3,800 mi to go for my next service interval--they just went ahead and did it; I never asked or thought to ask.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Did the dealer explain how the camera (which camera by the way?) functionality is related to vibration motor in the steering wheel? Very unusual and irregular response from the dealer, to say the least.

The vibration motor inside the steering wheel has two modes: vibrates, doesn't vibrate. There is no third mode: "attempting to semi-vibrate". Please take it to the dealer and ask to speak to the shop foreman. This usually solves lost-in-translation issues with inexperienced SAs.
Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      08-01-2016, 02:54 PM   #6
naiza3k
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Funny they won't change your oil with 3,000 miles to go. I had my car in last week for tire replacement under the W&T coverage. I had 3,800 mi to go for my next service interval--they just went ahead and did it; I never asked or thought to ask.
The service manager I got was very a snob, she felt very entitled and was trying to tell me I can't get things done on my car just because I'm going out of warranty. I told her I just bought a brand new fully loaded X5 from you guys, and I will be purchasing the extended. This had nothing to do with the car going out of warranty, it's more of wanting the car to function and saving me the time to bring the car back later. She questioned about my wife's X5 like I don't know the car, it was ridiculous...
I have never received service like this before.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 02:56 PM   #7
naiza3k
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Did the dealer explain how the camera (which camera by the way?) functionality is related to vibration motor in the steering wheel? Very unusual and irregular response from the dealer, to say the least.

The vibration motor inside the steering wheel has two modes: vibrates, doesn't vibrate. There is no third mode: "attempting to semi-vibrate". Please take it to the dealer and ask to speak to the shop foreman. This usually solves lost-in-translation issues with inexperienced SAs.
No, I decided I couldn't argue with stupid and gave up. She was read me verbatim on the how it's normal for the Camera to overheat and shut off and BMW specifically will not replace. I said thats fine but what about the steering wheel and she goes the steering wheel is caused by the Camera. It doesn't make sense at all and I tried to explain it to her but she just read me the shit things again...Ultimately I just gave up and went to pick up my car right now.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
No, I decided I couldn't argue with stupid and gave up. She was read me verbatim on the how it's normal for the Camera to overheat and shut off and BMW specifically will not replace. I said thats fine but what about the steering wheel and she goes the steering wheel is caused by the Camera. It doesn't make sense at all and I tried to explain it to her but she just read me the shit things again...Ultimately I just gave up and went to pick up my car right now.
Just smile and ask politely for the shop foreman to explain the problem. Will result in a much better outcome.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #9
naiza3k
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b
Quote:
Just smile and ask politely for the shop foreman to explain the problem. Will result in a much better outcome.
I will next time haha.

Previous: 2015 X5 Graphite, |All options| - 2014 435i Xdrive Msport, |Fully Loaded|6MT|FBO|JB4|Front,side,rear lips/spoilers|- 2015 320i Xdrive, |Wife's beater| - 2008 535i Xdrive
Appreciate 1
x5mad351.50
      08-01-2016, 08:27 PM   #10
GRD
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Same here - I had the car in for MPPK with 5k left before the first service interval and they just changed the oil without me asking.
Appreciate 0